“What can I say, it is just good enough for me.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Malaysia

Hotel Malaysia
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Penang
“What can I say, it is just good enough for me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am with my sister and her friends stayed here for 1 night only. Our target is to get a budget hotel near to her training place (my sister and her friends are coming for one day training on the next day). Since I am from Penang, so transportation is not a problem for us.
- We stayed at Deluxe Room ( with 2 double bed), with clean bathroom. The toilet is working except the flush that will continue flushing until you un-flushed it (you have to manually pull back the flush). Shower foam + shampoo provided (2 in one) but I suggest your bring your own because your hair will tangled after use this shampoo.
- The room is also clean, I am OK with it. It was a bit tiny, but if you travel light, I think you'll be OK.
- The staff is OK but for some reason, is not so friendly that day. The front table will be left empty after midnight.
- Breakfast which is OK for me, 1 parking space for 1 room. If happen you bring 2 cars, the second car will need to pay RM15 ringgit (I parked for half day, I think this amount applied to full day parking). Make sure that you get stamp from the front table to get this 2nd parking space with this amount, or else, you have to pay around RM4 per hour.
- Just opposite of this hotel, there is one mamak restaurant that I believe open 24 hours. Convenient store at ground floor, outside of this hotel.
- If you want to try the trishaw (beca), there are line-up in front of this hotel.
- Some 10 minutes by car, u can reach Padang Kota Lama (i think you can also reach here by trishaw, or if you wish - walk), where you can have Penang Pasembor here.
- Gurney drive / plaza is around 10-15 minutes drive (I am slow driver)
- Pasar Malam (Night Market) Batu Feringghi is around 20-30 minutes drive.
Since I am staying here for 1 night only, I guess there is not much to say. It is not so grand hotel, but it suit my budget. If I were to stay in any hotel in Penang again, this hotel wont be the last choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shud_mdnoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 1 night here and it was ok. If you looking for a family vacation then I will no recommend this. It's only better if you only stay to sleep, bath and few hours relaxation. Great location and they provide free open car parking. Room rate will be close to RM 100 which I feel reasonable. Only stay here if you don't like to stay in budget hotel

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Satthiam
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our our first trip to Asia and we were amazed how vibrant the city and its people. The hotel was a good value based on the price we paid which was a lot better than back home. The staff were very friendly and willing to serve. The room was quite large but the bathromm need better cleaning. We found limited choice of food partly due to its Muslim tradition. Good location as we found it was in the center of the town.

Room Tip: watchout for the sun in the afternoon, the room was hot and need a while before the air_cond. to coo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jes F
Klang Selangor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Happen to get to know this hotel from my fellow colleague who just came back from Penang. Being a little careful on rates and hotel in George Town, this hotel is really good. The service from booking my room to check in and out was so smooth that it really suprise me. I have stayed and worked in 5 star city hotels and also resorts, there were no double standard in this hotel. Me and my dad had really good time and actually extented our stay 1 day longer. They would also ask us politely if we needed the room clean every morning with a smile and a good morning. I think all local hotels in Malaysia should follow this no matter who you are. I would certainly go back there in the future and the best thing is all the great food and attarctions are within walking distance. The breakfast was not a wow thing but it is good for the price you pay and also fill your stomach up till the next destination. The room is very clean and makes you feel that you are back to the 90's that was a great feeling. The shower was good and also air con is very cold and nice for a hot day. There is even a minibar with good comfortable bed, they gave 1 pillow each but when me and my dad requested for 1 more each they gave without any question ask and also within 5 minutes. It was only noisy on Saturday night as pubs and nearby Sup Kambing (The famous Mutton Soup across the road is slightly noisy at 5am as they are clearing up) other than that it was the perfect holiday. My rate was only nett RM118 per room per night. Cititel across the road was at least RM235 per room per night excluding tax do not want to think about the service there. .

Room Tip: Any where of the hotel is good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank choosyguest
Medan, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I spent many nights at Malaysia hotel not only with my family but also with my friends. Located at the heritage site of Malaysia, Georgetown Penang. It is approximately 10 minutes from Komtar (plaza complex at the same time bus station, you can find all bus destinations there) by walk. The price is reasonable, it's around RM138/night include breakfast and the room is wide. But lately, they renovate the hotel and lead a few disturbance. Once, I found bubble floating from the conduit. However, when I call the receptionist, they fix it immediately. At night, I recommend you to have dinner at the Indian food in front of the hotel. Don't worry for Muslim, it's halal food. There are also a few pubs across the road. :))

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fayluna
Seremban
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Room rates are very reasonable. Staff are polite and friendly. Only problem we had was that the remote-controllers for air-conditioners were missing and when we requested for them, we were told that they will send them. However, the remote controllers never arrived and some of us shivered in our beds.
I like the location of the hotel in the middle of town (old town) as we could walk to Chowrastar Market where nutmegs and preserved fruits of all kinds are sold. There are many eateries around. There are food stalls selling the popular Penang Laksa, Char Kuay Teow, all sorts of food including vegeteranian food at Red Square. A large variety to choose from! There are also 24-hour mini-markets. The famous nasi kandhar can be had at "Line-Clear" - found between the gap of 2 rows of shop houses which is walking distance from Hotel Malaysia. One can easily get cabs to the beach areas or shopping complexes from this hotel.

Room Tip: Select rooms facing sea for scenic view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank sathiaSeremban
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

This is a good business and leisure hotel. The check in quite smoothly even when i enter was a lot of guests was waiting.It seem like their manager also helping for it.The rooms consider good, I have stayed here for several times and always got marvellous views of the sea. The room is smallish, but what the hell, I used it only to sleep. The fixtures were standard for a hotel of its type.

You can walk out to many of the sights of Penang and even eat out in any of the marvellous eateries all around the hotel.

But overall , I would recommend it, especially for business trips.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business