“Excellent in every way.”

Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Mandurah, Australia
“Excellent in every way.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at this amazing hotel for 3 nights in June 2013.
From the moment we arrived we were treating like royalty from the reception to the breakfast staff to the transfers to the airport. We had the club level found this to be great decision the canopies and selection of foods where plentiful the wine selection spot on beers too.
Our breakfast manager (Vickey) made a special effort each morning to chat to us about the area. He even arranged each morning in addition to the huge breakfast buffet a Malaysian specially dish to share on the table.
Highly recommend this Hotel believe it would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Select smoking or non smoking as different floors for each.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluebay12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Penang has always been one of my favourite location to visit. Whenever in Penang, I never missed staying at Traders. They've never failed to go that extra mile to ensure your stay is comfortable.
Nevertheless, the room does need upgrading. Some rooms does smell mushy, TV is still those box'ed typed 21". Housekeeping sometimes need reminding but nowadays the Service Center do call back to check if Housekeeping has delivered the items requested which was a plus.
Construction going on in front of the hotel (looks like building another new hotel) but it doesn't affect your stay there unless you got a room facing the construction site.

The Club Lounge at Traders does offer some nice view of Penang. You'll love the evening cocktail which is served from 6 to 8 pm.

Breakfast - they need to change the menu. Been there for years and I've always seen the same things - Noodles, Dim Sum (not nice at all), Soya Bean milk, Red beans, nasi lemak or noodles, mushrooms. Never changed for years. It's time for the cook to put on his thinking hat.

Staff - Staff there very friendly, professional as what you would find in all Traders or Shangri-la brand. Concierge very helpful, friendly and always goes the extra mile to help and greet you when you're there.

Room Cleaning services - They need to increase the number of people cleaning the rooms. Slow in my opinion. I still find strands of hair in the bathroom .

Location very good - just beside Komtar and First Avenue Shopping just across the opposite direction.

Food - Plenty around but you do need to walk a bit. "New Lane" about 10 min walk does serve a delicious place of fried oyster (near the UMNO building) and very near to Sunway Hotel too.

Taxi in Penang, they don't bother to use meter even with the sign "No Haggling. This is a metered Taxi" and that makes a mockery of the Taxi services. Must bargain before entering. As a rule, around Georgetown about RM10. Towards G-Hotel area or Gurney Drive - RM15.

Traders Penang is still a good nice cozy hotel to go to. So I'll still be returning and recommending some friends there whenever in Penang.

Room Tip: Get high floors with pool view. The other views you won't like it cause Penang is small and Trad...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Santawang
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Traders Penang in May 2013 for 3 days in May 2013. We chose this hotel as it seemed to be a decent hotel in the George Town area and we wanted to explore the historic city center for a few days. I also chose it as I’m a Jade member in the Shangri-La Golden Circle program.

We took a taxi from the airport in the south of the island to the hotel and it was a fixed price of 44 Ringgit (14 USD) and it took about 30 minutes. The lobby was open with large chandeliers and marble floors. Check in was fast and we got 1419.

When we took the elevator to our room we were a bit annoyed to see that we had gotten a room right across the corridor from the lifts but this was not a problem at all. The room did seem a bit outdated upon entry to the room but I had read the reviews in advance so I was prepared for this. The walls were a combination of light wall paper and dark brown wood and the floor was wall to wall carpet. The center in the room contained a HUGE bed and the sleep quality was excellent. As a Jade member I had gotten some welcome gifts and it is always great to get some sparking water. There was also a mini bar with various items and the Coke was 8 Ringgit ( 2 ½ USD). Free Traders water in bottles was also provided.

As usual there was a desk, an old style TV and a water boiler with coffee and tea. The wardrobe also contained a safe, robes and iron/ironing board.

The tiled bathroom was OK with a shower option in the bathtub but I’m not a fan of the shower curtain option. But the bathroom did contain the usual amenities that I’m used to from Traders in KL (shampoo, body gel, conditioner, lotion etc). The view from the room was not that great as we look right across to a construction site but again we were not bothered by the noise from this place.

After we checked in we took some time to try out the gym at the hotel – it contained rowing machines, thread mills, stationary bikes and weights and the pool was right outside.

Breakfast at the hotel was according what I would expect from a good 4 star hotel in Asia. A selection of bread, cereal, juices, eggs etc. But what impressed me the most was the service – when I had breakfast the first morning I went alone as my wife Nikki was not feel great due to a cold. So I tried to balance a tea and a croissant out of the restaurant and a manager stopped me and I explained the situation. He told me to put it down as he would send someone to my room and soon my wife got a croissants and tea served in bed in the room. The same guy also told us that we had to try some local stuff (like roti chanai) so I got the impression that he enjoyed his work with helping and communicating with people.

The location of the hotel is quite good as it is just in the outskirt of the historic city center. We walked all over the place but if you want to take a short cut remember that there is a free bus service from the Komter area (where the hotel is) to the jetty and most taxis seems to have a fixed price of 10 ringgit within the city center.

Conclusion: The room was a bit outdated but we enjoyed the stay at Traders in Penang as the location is pretty good, breakfast is good and the service was very good. If you are going to check out George Town for a few days this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gardkarlsen
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are not so big and required a "refreshed" or refurbish....however you still have the quality service from Shangri-La staffs aka Traders. Breakfast has the local flavor as well as international choices. I personally find it is not very convenient to find local Penang street food.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Although the Trader hotel like what other reviewers said is dated but still quite well keep and the location and food quite good. The Executive lounge has not enough space to cater to all the guests when hotel running high occupancy. Good service provided by the staff and the evening cocktail and buffet breakfast in the cafe on the ground floor will encourage me to come back. Nearby 2 big shopping malls with reasonable price and wide range of shops to chose. I have busted the Queen bay mall though the shopping centre is huge and new but the range of shops there selling much high end things than the shops near Trader hotel for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the friendly, efficient airport pickup by Rajiswary to our last sensational breakfast of Yeemee noodles with chicken, Chinese mushrooms, bok choy and fresh apple, celery and ginger juice, we had a wonderful stay at Traders in Penang. All the staff are friendly, welcoming, caring and go out of their way to assist guests. Ranjeet, the guest relations supervisor, helped us with directions for local attractions and shopping. Vikky introduced us to delicious food each morning from the Malay, Indian and Chinese cultures - with the assistance of Khozaimah, Badri, Fatima and all the other staff at the Islander Restaurant in the hotel. Our room was lovely with a view of the Straits and an extra comfortable King size bed. Iswari kept the room clean and tidy every day and made us feel any home with her beautiful smile and concern for our well being. Guests can take the complimentary bus to their beach hotel Golden Sands for swimmong and more relaxing. We've had an unforgetable holiday!

Room Tip: Seventeenth floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we saw the Trader's rep Rajiswari's smiling face at Penang airport we knew it would be a great stay at Traders. My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights, and in that time we were totally spoilt - in the restaurant by Vighesveren, Khozaimah, Badri or Fatimah, and at reception by the wonderful Ranjeet who gave wonderful service and tips for our stay. The rooms are supremely comfortable and supplied with all you could need. It would be remiss of me not to mention Iswari who cleaned our room and greeted us with a huge smile and friendly conversation every time we saw her. There are many hotels in Penang to choose from, however for location, value for money and the friendliest staff, go no further than Traders.

• Stayed June 2013