“Very welcoming”

Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel was clean and fresh and the staff were a dream, always greeting with a smile and recalling our preferences and cares. The room was a little tired but well kept and clean, with few personalised touches. Great location in Georgetown close to lots of sites and great hawker food.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lou B

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Traders Hotel Penang for two nights in March 2013. This was my second stay here, I also stayed for two nights in 2009.

The airport transfer arrangements are simply wonderful. Staff member waiting right outside the arrivals area, helping you with your luggage and brings you straight to the car (Toyota Innova - lots of space) with absolutely zero hassle. There was bottled water, newspaper and wifi in the car, and the driver was very friendly. I can't think of a better experience.

Upon arrival, I was ushered straight up to my room (deluxe, wifi and breakfast inclusive) where the check-in formalities were completed. A nice touch that makes things much easier. Overall every interaction with the hotel staff was positive.

The room was comfortable, especially the bed linens which were excellent quality. I slept well both nights with no interruptions. The inclusive wi-fi was very good and I never lost connection.

The inclusive breakfast had a good selection, and the service was very prompt and friendly.

Location wise, it doesn't get any better. You're so close to so many shops and restaurants - I didn't ever need a taxi and was able to walk everywhere I needed to go. And if you ever get lost, just look for Komtar and you'll easily be able to find your way back!

Some have commented that the hotel is in need of renovation. I can see their point - the decor is a bit dated. But the upkeep of the hotel is excellent, and the other positives far outweigh that minor quibble.

Overall, I love this place. When I'm back in Penang, I will certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cpdc1030
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family and I stayed 1 night in Traders Hotel before staying at another Resort hotel in Batu Ferringhi. Check-in was a breeze, however the whole lobby is smell of smoke so not a great thing for non smoker like me. I was also travelling with my children so requested a non smoking room but the room still smell of smoke when we first check in. The room is clean, despite the hotel is quite old. The bathroom and carpet smell moist and mouldy though.

Location is great since it is beside 1 Avenue mall so we can get our diapers and milk powder. Great place for Starbucks or fast food as well.

Overall, the room is what you pay for. If you are looking for not too expensive hotel next to a mall, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The location wise is great! Within walking distance (5-10 mins) to komtar and nearby shopping complexes. Located at the heart of Georgetown.
The room is very small (deluxe room) with a very spacious king sized bed but very old TV (pregnant kind) Room is clean but not very well maintained (old and a lil musty) The morning buffet breakfast has not much variety, I stayed at Le Meredien in KL last year for almost the same price but they serve fantastic buffet breakfast!
Basement carpark is small but free parking for guests, you have to drive down a small slope with terrible potholes (can't believe they can't even fix the potholes)
Swimming pool was in the midst of repairing when I was there. But they provide shuttle bus to the Crowne Hotel's during the repairing service.

The Ferringgi Beach hotels/resorts might be far better value for money if you don't mind the location (far from city)

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank weiwayk
Reviewed April 19, 2013

this was my first trip to Penang and a colleague recommended that I stay at another hotel but it was booked and I ended up at the Traders. Overall service level was very good but I could not get past the hotel's physical condition. I am sure at one time this was a really nice hotel but time has not been kind to it. From the lobby, elevators and rooms they all have seen better days. Most of the wood surfaces and trim were heavily scratched and marred. The TV was a huge monstrosity that hummed while you tried to watch it. Faded stains in the carpet and a bathroom that while clean looked very worn. The upside is that it is clean and the staff are very helpful.
The morning breakfast is above average and the staff keep your latte or coffee full so it is not all bad. If you are on a budget this could be an option for you. If you are looking for something upscale I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed there recently in an executive suite. It was well equipped and had all the amenities that we wanted but I think the rooms need renovating as everything is dated - the hair dryer is awful so take your own if you need one!

We were three people in this suite but the extra bed was put in the middle of the separate sitting area which I didn't like as you then couldn't make use of this room.

Aside from that, the location is good on the edge of the old town and right next to some shopping malls and the staff couldn't have been more friendly or more helpful. The variety at breakfast was huge and Vickie (the restaurant manager) was excellent.

We made good use of the executive lounge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It had been 2 years since our last visit but we appreciated again the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. Breakfast is great but the carpet in the breakfast room needs to be replaced.
we had an Executive-suite which was well equipped and use of the executive-lounge was included. From there you have a nice view over the city and drinks and small snacks are served from 6:00 pm. We enjoyed the swimming-pool and the fact that meals are served there if requested. The location of the hotel is excellent next to Komtar. we shall certainly return if we are going to Penang again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple