“Service with a Smile”

Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in George Town
malaysia
“Service with a Smile”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were stayed at the hotel from 11-15th February. 4nights stay. when we checked into the hotel, they were running full ( due to the CNY holidays). Hence the delay of 1hour 45 mins even though the check in time was supposed to be at 2pm. I raised it with the reservations. I was pleasantly surprised to receive two plates of local fruits with a heartfelt apology on the part of the hotel.

The executive level, offers buffet breakfast at the same level, though somewhat limited. Overall satisfactory. Soft drinks, coffee and tea could be requested all day long. The evening cocktail were good (6-8pm). the lounge gets filled up very quickly . therefore a helpful tip would be, if you would like to enjoy the cocktail with canapes, please be there by 6-6.20pm. Otherwise you could take your drink and canapes back to your room.

During our stay, what made it really memorable were the staffs at the executive club level ( we stayed on the 16th floor). We felt very welcome during breakfast, tea, evening cocktails. Service staffs like Lina, Gary, Wan and the rest were ever so helpful. In particular the names which I had mentioned, always helpful, always smiling..especially Lina and Wan. Gary was always attentive with small smiles :).
Kumar the Guest Services Manager was always hands on during breakfast, always smiling and friendly. Kay who was the Floor Director and I believe another Floor Manager ( cannot recall the name) were helpful too.
To sum it up. We will be there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were a bit apprehensive when we booked as there were many bad reviews. But at the end of our 3 day stay there we were literally over the moon. At 120 dollars we booked a room on the Executive Floor and the treatment was beyond our expectations. From small gestures like receiving a flower upon our arrival to being taken up to the executive lounge for our check in, the whole process augured well for our 3 day stay. Our room was bright, clean and comfortable with all the amenities. We had the choice of having breakfast in the lounge or their restaurant downstairs. Both had a nice spread, obviously the restaurant having a much larger variety with food from all around the world.We preferred the lounge as there was much more personal service there. Every evening between 6-8, the lounge had happy hour so we were treated to all sorts of drinks and appetizers ranging from sushi to salmon canapes, satays, cheese platters, petit fours and the list goes on. It was a great place to meet other residents as well. The hotel was walking distance to all the sights of Georgetown and right next to the big malls if you ever need anything. Every day a free shuttle goes to Batu Ferringhi where you can enjoy the amenities of the Golden Sands resort.
Our Guest Relations manager Kumar helped us out with all the information we needed, indeed all the staff always greeted you with a smile. The best part we were even given a late checkout. Honestly, one of the better hotels that I have stayed at with all the luxuries and no snobbish attitude.

What was even great was getting a chance to see the Malaysian Prime Minister up close as he stayed at the Traders for one night during CNY. Kumar and his team did a commendable job to make our stay extra comfortable. Would definitely go back to this hotel if I get a chance. It has also made me a fan of the Traders chain, will probably look it up every city I visit now :)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Executive Floor
Sussex
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location with shopping, restaurants and hawker stalls near by. The hotel has a good pool area with very helpful and friendly pool staff. The gym located next to the pool has all the equipment required to help keep you in good shape during your stay.
We booked for 4 nights here after staying at the Rasa Sayang on the beach and had booked a club room. We arrived and went straight to club lounge on 16th floor to check in but it seems the staff member was put out at having to check us in, not a warm welcome at all. He then informed us that as we had booked travel industry rates we would not get any points on our golden circle account. My booking was via Hotels.com!! We were then given our room cards for a room on the 14th floor when the club rooms are on the 16th & 17th floors, again some remark about being full. That was it thank you and now find your way to your room, having stayed at Shangri La and other Traders before this is not the normal service expected.
Anyway the rooms are small and in need of refurb/updating, when rooms above run water in bath/ shower you can hear, plus the pinging lift when it reaches your floor. Overall we found the cleaning of the room mainly the bathroom not great.
If you are looking for a hotel in good location then I would suggest this one but if you are expecting the service of a Traders then think again.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I usually stay in this hotel when I visit Penang. The rooms are well equipped, staff very professional, good facilities, etc.... But is very well located. There is a new mall opened just in the next corner (1st Avenue). A lot of options for hawker food at the streets, excellent food in the area and cheap too. This hotel also has another facility in Batu Ferringhi (beach) and you can take a free shuttle to spend the day in their facilities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Henry T
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a typical corporate hotel in design and finish. If you are looking for something a bit different or "edgy" then this is probably not for you. Rooms are typical comfortable modern corporate style, slightly dated though perfectly serviceable. However, the helpful attitude of the staff make it also a very good tourist base. It is well priced, well located, and a very pleasant base to explore the delights of Penang. Our first room was next to the lift and smaller than the others, but they quickly changed it, and apologised for giving it to us in the first place. We would come here again. This hotel had bad reviews up to 18 months ago, but apparently there has been major changes in senior management, and the earlier comments re poor service and cleanliness certainly did not apply on our stay. One of the managers told us that the rooms are being updated over the next year-and our room was really quite good as is!

Room Tip: Avoid any room ending in 01 ie 1201. These are adjacent to lift and smaller than the others, with no...
1 Thank Neil B
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with an excellent location to discover all that Georgetown has to offer both by foot or by other transport. For shopping folks, you are right by a huge First Avenue shopping centre that has shops for pretty much every brand and item that you could wish!

The hotel itself is gently dated but is by no means unacceptable. The staff are charming and do all that you could possibly want to assist you. Our room - even though it looked out over a building site (!) - was very comfortable and well appointed but a tiny bit dated.

Because there are such excellent "hawker" food stalls within 10 minutes walk, the poor hotel Chef must pull his hair out in frustration at the number of customers who do not dine in the hotel. But "sorry" Malaysian cuisine from hawker stalls is SO nice!

The hotel pool is excellent and the pool staff are most attentive. A very pleasant stay - thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am a frequent traveller and stayed in hotels around asia every month and I will only write a review if is very good or very bad. In this case, is very good. Why do I say so? Let me share my whole experience.

I choose Traders Penang because I have a wonderful experience in my previous visit and this time I am experiencing the same. From the airport, take rapid bus 401 can easily bring you to Komtar and the hotel is right beside it. The moment I step into the hotel, the front desk wanted to help with my check in. Since there are others who also wants to do check in, I told her that I will do the check in at the lounge as I have booked a club room. She ask for my name and I went up to the lounge.

Never did I expect that Lina, the staff at the lounge was standing outside waiting for my arrival. She greeted me and all my details are already on the desk. That was fantastic. As a member, she only ensure that my details have not change. I was early so the rooms are not ready and she advice me to go for lunch. I ask if i can leave my hand luggage, she gladly say yes and ensure that I have no valuable inside.

After I returned back from lunch, Lina pass me the keys to my room. Hotel was pretty old but was well-maintained with the heritage feel. Can't write much because there are no complains for me to write. Other areas to compliment was the operator, housekeeping who go extra miles and i shall not say the details. Car park was complimentary for those who drives and there are shuttle service to bring you to their sisters hotel. Breakfast at the islander was pretty similar compared to other hotels.

What I expect from a hotel is not only the rooms and location but more importantly is the service provided.

Other things about the hotel was the location. It was located around many major shopping malls and also the current streets art so I will definitely come back to Traders in my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo