“Bad Impression”

Ivy's Nyonya Cuisine
Ranked #20 of 1,016 Restaurants in George Town
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving authentic Nyonya Cuisine. Closed for a short break from the 20th March till 28th March 2017. Business resume on 29th March 2017.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

7 out of 10 dishes are not available in 'Today's special' list, even juices on the list is not available,
reason given: 'Today is a little busy, can i just make you an apple juice?'
No first come first served basis!
I have no comment on the foods, but the service definitely ruined my night.

1  Thank Jacqueline_sk
DragonTan, Manager at Ivy's Nyonya Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hi Ms Jacqueline,

We are indeed sorry for your unpleasant experience.
Please accept our humble apologies for our shortcomings
on the nite you visited us.

The fact is we had a prior reservation for 36 people for dinner on that
nite. Yes you came first but the kitchen had already prepare their food first
because they had reserved earlier on.

Secondly I manage to take your order and the kitchen actually
cooked your food to serve you when you walk out without informing me.
The least you can do is to inform me personally and I will be glad to update
you. I had told you that you need to wait a bit before I went into the kitchen
to look into your order.

Today's Special has only got 6 items. Only one item is not available i.e the
Assam Prawn and I told you the chef will replace it with the Otak Otak which
you agreed to try.

Ala Carte Menu has got many items. It is very challenging for us to do everything
as some of the fresh ingredients that we used has been out. For top quality taste
and nutritional value we used fresh ingredients and not frozen ones. When the ingredients
is not available we dont cook it.Take for example the Assam Prawn has been so scarce
in the wet market that we even pre booked for more than a week .Even when it is available
they sometime gives us in small quantity enough for two or three days supplies.

So ocassionally some of the item in the menu is beyond our control.

With regards to your Drink, you had asked for a combination of Apple and Celery and
I ask if you could consider an Apple Juice as the kitchen was indeed busy and you disagreed with
my suggestion and opted for Carrot / Tomato which I took your order and sent it to the kitchen.

In any case Ivy and me offer our sincere and humble apologies and really look forward to serve your favourite nyonya cuisine in the near future.

Warmest regards

Ivy and Dragon Tan.

P/S: As we are a small restaurant run by my wife and me,, do make a reservatoon to avoid
any dissapointment. If you had looked us up on the Tripadvisor, we had stated reservation
is prefered on our page.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Had lunch with family of 4. Got bitten by mosquitoes 3mins after we sat down. Dinning area is their living room (small). The restaurant owner is very nice but we reckon quite a home cook taste. And honestly, not really impress by the taste.

1  Thank aderong

Hi Ader Ong,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We welcome your honest feedback
as that helps us to improve.

Your unpleasant mosquito experience is much regretted. We always keep the
mosquito out but sometimes they will find their way to the human flesh.We will
do our level best to eliminate completely this mosquito.

Nyonya food is indeed home cooked food. The food is prepared using fresh ingredients,
spices ,chilies and herbs to arrive at its distinctive aroma and flavour.This is traditional way of cooking using slow fire, mortar and pestle to prepare the food has been kept alive till now
for people to enjoy the authentic nyonya cuisne.Its bascially cooked in great spices .

We are sorry our cooking fall short of your expectations but I suppose some folks do enjoy it much
and some enjoy if less.

Warmest regards.

Dragon Tan.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

For the amount of food we had, 8 dishes & 1 dessert, it was value for money. The owner was very friendly and chatted with us on and off. Makes you feel like dining in someone's home instead of a restaurant.

Would highly recommend this place to everyone visiting Penang and wants to try home-cooked authentic nyonya food. Thumbs-up!

1  Thank Weng2608
Reviewed March 15, 2014

There's definitely love that goes into the cooking here. The soya sauce chicken and fish maw soup are a hit with the young kids. Otak-otak was freshly steamed and took awhile to arrive. But worth the wait.

Only one wait staff on the evening we visited, think he's the owner as well. Highly efficient and friendly. If you like home cooking and comfort food, this is the place to go.

1  Thank SGParent
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We are very fussy eaters....but Ivy's nyonya cuisine have won our hearts...and our palates too! The food is authentic and the atmosphere is just great. No words to describe...you must go there to experience it your own...! Enjoy!

2  Thank whitewizard888