“Good Location...everything else was average/poor”
Review of Red Inn Court

Red Inn Court
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed at the Red Inn Court for 1 night in one of their Superior Double Rooms with Private Bath (~110 MYR), overall, not impressed by the place.

Red Inn Court gives you a really authentic feel, on one hand the ambiance is nice, wooden furnishings in the main area and a nice common area to relax in, but for the price the double room is far too expensive.

A few of the things that we didn’t enjoy…
- Old and worn furnishings
- Spiders and mosquitos in the room
- Toilet did not function well
- Room key did not work
- Shower is not separated from the rest of the bathroom
- Stairs up are steep, hard to carry luggage

I suspect that the price for a dorm is far more appropriate for what you get. Staff is okay, though not trained in how to provide service (the cleaner is a nice guy – large Filipino man).

Breakfast is average, enough to get us going in the morning and lots of fresh fruits, and wifi is okay – though a bit slow at times. The one big plus to this hotel/hostel is the location, it is very well located near the attractions and key areas.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2013

On the one hand, It's perfectly situated, it's cheap and the rooms come with free breakfast; on the other, the friendliness/helpfulness of the staff is hit or miss, the wifi speed is amazingly slow and there is not ample space provided for storing belongings in the dorms; there are drawers with locks under the beds, but they are for "staff use only".

I suggest that you be skeptical of the advertising. Among their amenities, for example, they boast of a 'chill out room' with movies, televisions and books, but in reality, while the "room" does exist, it's less of a room and more of a nap corner for the staff and their friends. My whole stay (one week) there were always two to four people sleeping in that space, rendering it basically useless for the purposes of 'chilling out' with other guests. They boast of the fastest internet connection in Georgetown and that is patently false; it was, rather, just about the slowest I experienced during my entire stay on Penang.

Aside from these small problems that I can actually put my finger on, there was some intangible quality that this place was just missing. Perhaps the most telling fact of all is that, time and again, I found myself envious of others who were staying at other places in town. I had booked the room for a week in advance; by the second day I was very strongly considering asking about the penalties for an early cancellation.

Room Tip: Only stay at this place if you want a private room. My advice is just to avoid the dorms altogether...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I booked a double room from Booking.com but when i checked in they seem couldn't find my reservations and wanted to put us in the dorm room which i refused and the staff is really rude ..After a long arguement they managed to arrange a Twin room for us .During my stay the WIFI doesn't work at all! Only good thing is the location is centrally located in the Georgetown .Wouldn't recommend this place as you can get many other better hostels around this area!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I´m, not really used to stay in back-pack hotels any more, so I choosa a "Double room with private bathroom, TV, Air Cond, WiFi (low speed) etc.. Well, the toilet couldn´t be used since it didn´t want to get rid of the things I produced in the bowl, so I had to go elsewhere for that sort of business. I´ve ran into these WC´s earlier and they seems to be working by slowly dissolving the contents. The staff tried to fix it since I couldn´t flush it, but the craftsmen they used was worthless. Next time I will stay smwh else, that´s for sure. I don´t want to be unfair, but it really is a low-budget B&B place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stay in 6 bed dorm for only 1 night, but its really comfortable for me. Just rm30 pernight, its really valuable. Free tea and coffee whole day, its an advantages for me that wake up late. Travelers also can leave their bag at community area after they check out and take it back later. I will come again later, thanks Red Inn Court! =)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Red Inn is average for 100 Ringgit. the Staff is great. NO plug adapters to charge your phone, tablet or net book! There 5 ringgit each? (I bought 8 for the hotel for their guests) but next day they where all gone, whats up with this?
Breakfast is toast with some noodles and what looks like potatoes its only ok. The tea and coffee are very cheap, tasteless even and leave grounds in your cup, which is chipped and made of tin? Rooms are very nice, well decorated but noisy, especially on the front facing the road. The couple in the next room where very erotic in their love making which we got to listen to and enjoy....thank you! Showers are great with lots of both hot and cold water, and big rain drop like shower heads. For me I would book for two nights instead of 8 days, arrive and shop around, lots of hotels and accommodation available in Little India area, which is quaint with a great feel of old architecture and lots of cheap international food. You'll love Penang!

Room Tip: Front rooms are noisy (4 am mosque, 6 am flower shops, 7am rush hour traffic). Walls are a bit thin...
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Location of the guesthouse is convenient near Little India and our room with double bed and private bathroom was very clean & comfortable, although a bit noisy due to the common shower area located next to it. Free wifi is provided, but during our stay the connection wasn't particularly good in our room and speed was very slow well all around the guesthouse. There is a common area with books and TV, but most of the time it seemed to be occupied by the members of the staff.

Service was just ok as some of the staff members seemed very disinterested in guests and didn't seem to like being bothered with any requests. On the other hand some were really friendly and gave tips on what to eat and where etc, so it was a bit of hit and miss when dealing with the staff.

Overall this guesthouse is good value for money and given the very convenient location, I would recommend this place.