“A wonderful historic hotel in the heart of Georgetown” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
23 Love Lane
Ranked #18 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“A wonderful historic hotel in the heart of Georgetown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

This lovely boutique hotel made me feel welcome in the heart of Uncesco Historic Georgetown. Actually I had booked another hotel nearby. Walking in the area I saw the 23 Love Lane Hotel and I was invited in to have a look. A very welcoming lady showed me around and served me afternoon tea. I was invited to join the first lightning of the Christmas tree that evening. Christmas songs and wine and snacks were served. It was a wonderful experience and a welcome to Georgetown I will never forget. The rooms are very comfortable and of high standards, the lounge beautifully decorated. The fingerfood wonderful. The next evening I had dinner at the Steak& Frites Restaurant, next door. The food (yes - steak & frites and a good glas of wine) was lovely and very Belgium. For my next visit to Georgetown there is only one place were I would stay, 23 Love Lane...Thank you Andy! It was fantastic to take part in your warm hospitality.

Room Tip: A fantastic home away from home to enjoy a wonderful stay in Georgetown, Penang.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank 420Anna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place really made our stay in Penang. The way the property has been renovated is amazing and the decor and little touches were very much appreciated! It makes you want to scour the antique shops as soon as you get home to get the same look. If you like boutique, style and kitsch, yet comfortable and homely then this is the place for you.
Breakfast is really good, the staff all work hard and the ratio to staff:guest is good. The atmosphere is relaxed with plenty of seats to relax and pick up your book. Beds are VERY comfortable and rooms very large. If we HAD to note a negative it would be that WIFI did not work in our room (cannot vouch for others) but worked fine in the lobby/lounge/library.
Would we stay here again? Most definetely!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Shelly74_21
Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend, and certainly didn't fail to impress.

The reservation process was seamless, our arrival warm and friendly, and the place itself thoughtfully designed and slightly offbeat with many pieces of nicely selected artwork around. The colonial history of the buildings are also on proud display, and a very handsome collection of well restored buildings they are.

Our room, a Straits Eclectic I believe it was called, was large and airy with all the amenities one could need. The decor was very pleasant, shower was huge, bed comfortable and opening the shutters in the morning to reveal the sunshiny day and peaceful green garden below was a joy.

The manager Fauzy, Redho and the team at breakfast were gracious and helpful hosts and made my wife and I, along with our one year old boy feel very welcome at all times.

The neighbourhood around the hotel is wonderfully walkable and rich in character, and we happily spent two full days exploring before heading further afield. The afternoon tea and drinks available in the Library are a nice touch, especially after a long day out and about.

The Chinese shop-house style restaurant serves up a nice breakfast - with fruit, yoghurt and toast, jams and cheese, as well as a choice of local or western main - we had the local everyday which included things like roti cenai and nasi goreng. In the evening it doubled as a steak restaurant which only serves one thing, steak and fries, but a good one at that with a great Cafe de Paris butter and a decent wine list. This made for a pleasant change one evening from the plethora of street food in the nearby vicinity.

The only thing which was slightly off was our transfer back to the airport arranged by the hotel. The driver was lovely and friendly but the car was a dodgy old thing which had trouble starting and which I feared would break down any moment. Perhaps a bit dramatic but not a nice thought when you have a flight to catch. By the way when you get to the airport for an international flight, hold off going through security as long as possible as there isn't much to do once inside. I was hoping for a nice cafe or restaurant to get in one last "char kuay teow" but there was nothing.

All in all it was a fantastic experience and a place I have already started recommending to friends, thank you 23 Lovelane...

Martin, Helena & Oliver

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank MKunzmann
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

My recent travels have taken me to several of the heritage hotels in Penang (see my reviews of Seven Terraces and Yeng Keng). Of those that I have visited, Love Lane is presently my favorite.

23 Love Lane is more than a hotel. It is an intimate 10 room hotel that focuses on erasing every bit of stress from its guests. From the time you pull up to the unique 2-lanterned entrance of the hotel until you leave, the staff of the hotel are focused on relieving your stress. Their approach to hospitality is beyond transporting your luggage to your room. Just a couple of examples:
1) Bringing me freshly squeezed juices or ice-cold mineral water whenever I stepped back into the hotel
2) Ironing my business shirts
3) Helping me print out and staple my handouts for my meeting
4) Serving up my streetfood from outside the hotel
I was shocked when I checked out that I was not billed for any of these services.
For me, that goes to show the mentality that this hotel takes towards making the guest experience as enjoyable as possible - without trying to make a buck off simple tasks.
This mentality also extends to the complimentary tea time in the afternoon from 4-6pm where guests can choose from a selection of coffee/tea, fresh fruit, local snacks(kueh kuehs, pastries...).

Another area of relief for me at this hotel is the strong A/C installed in all the rooms which cool the rooms down in a very short period of time. Some of the other heritage hotels in Penang have A/Cs which are under-powered and take a while to cool the room down.

I enjoyed the Art at the hotel and there was a nice blend of modern and antique pieces displayed all over the hotel(see pictures). There are also many nooks and crannies for guests to read, do their crossword puzzles or just 'chill' and enjoy the pleasant surroundings. I particularly enjoyed the library where there is wide selection of books(think Thomas Friedman through Dan Brown and much in between) and free sodas and chilled bottled water.

Perhaps just 2 areas of improvement at the hotel. The first are the mosquitoes at the hotel - which the hotel was very good about dealing with. The second is that the hot water could have been hotter at this hotel. These 2 areas are not going to keep me away, I will definitely be back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Dover C
Shah Alam, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Cosy, Antique and uniquely decorated. The indian shophouse was just nice fitting our family of 4 adults and 2children. Huge bathroom with fluffy towels and premium toilettries. There was a small family area at the upper floor of the duplex for kids to lie down and have their own activities. Food was superb. Staffs were friendly throughout our stay. Even though there is no swimming pool, our little kids enjoyed the experience running around the little yard with a minimalist landscape in front of the unit.To conclude, it was a 5star 'home' experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank FauzanaAM
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We loved this hotel. A real gem with a unique interior design refurbished and yet with a sense of the originaL building. A long narrow entrance with comfortable sofas leading to a charming courtyard, which looks amazing at night, with the windows lit up. A very welcoming greeting and kindly manager. Our bedroom was great, very peaceful, and the bathroom was excellent. A great mix of modern basins and shower with stylish tiles. We agree with previous reviewers. It's a great place to stay. A bar, even Australian steak IF you are tired of the excellent street food nearby. All the attractions are in easy walking distance or a cheap rickshaw ride if you get tired.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank scenario34
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in November. The hotel is located in the heart of Georgetown, allowing you to walk to most of the sites very easily. What I liked about the hotel was that it was a classic house converted into a hotel while having modern amenities, such as wi-fi. The customer service from the staff was superb from check-in to check-out. Our rate included breakfast, which was made to order. It was the ginormous buffet spread that you find at major hotels but was very tasty. They also have a wonderful complimentary tea in their lobby at 4pm each day.

Because of its small size, the only problem I had was that I had an early departure and needed to check-out before 7am. It took a few minutes to find someone to handle the check-out. My only other criticism would be to have a better selection of television channels as there were only about 10.

I would absolutely stay here again. I would probably not bring a precocious toddler as there are antiques all over the property with stairways as well. However, for a couple or family with older kids this would be the place to be.

Room Tip: Each room is unique.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business