“Clean and decent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Roommates Penang
Makati, Philippines
“Clean and decent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Checking in, it really have that dorm atmosphere. I was warmly greeted by other guests and Yentl. Yntel is half Thai-half Malaysian, she works in the hostel and she asked for us two to speak in Filipino so she can practice, she learned the language through Pinoy friends and from watching Jericho Rosale's old soaps. I asked about the hostel's cancellation policy, I thought the place would be cheap.

The hostel is clean and decent, at first I thought I'd look for a better hotel after my first night there but I actually extended my stay and will definitely stay there again if ever I'll be in Penang.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank berjimo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Clean new hostel great location, helpful staff

Stayed two nights. there are two dorms. Cool location to explore the old town or get a bus further afield, very modern and clean, upper bunks are a little high, bring a torch if getting back late and don't forget how high you are if you wake up and need to bathroom!

Staff when we arrived very friendly and helpful in advising things to do, local area etc.
We left to stay in another hostel for the third night as my girlfriend was ill so wanted a private room and found one (Kimberly) for roughly the same price. A little odd but when I mentioned to one of the chaps we were moving onto another hostel his tone seemed to change with us both, being a lot more short with us when asking for information and trying to get us to check out for 11.30 as the "new guest were here" (there was no one down stairs) and it clearly states check out it 12 noon. Left feeling a slight sour taste unnecessarily.

Room Tip: Pay a little more you get the room that isn't awoken by morning prayer call!
Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPL1984
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed at Roommates for 2 nights. We were at the annex building just across the road. It wasnt as small as some reviews said and our 4 bed bunk had enough space for our bags and even for us to sit on the floor to play cards:) I liked that place although it was furnished simply but really cosy.

Beds: Super comfy beds and pillow! The bed was big enough to roll around and not fall off. Every bed has a wall socket that can accept two pin pugs (from singapore) without the need for a 2pin adapter. There is also a reading light and a basket compartment to place your stuff in every bunk. The curtains were great for privacy and blocking out the air con if needed.

Towels and blankets were provided upon arrival. The room might get a little cold at night due to the aircon, but you can adjust the temperature from the remote if not choose the bunks that are further in the room from the aircon to block out the air with your curtains. You do not get keys to the dorm room however you can store your valuable in the lockers downstairs. (Not really a problem for us as we had the whole room to ourselves).

The owner is so friendly and helpful! Didnt catch his name but a really nice guy who gave us lots of suggestions on where to go and what/where to eat. Nice and cute uncle! :) It feels as though he knows all the guests that are staying at his hostel and will talk to you when you return after your day. They even gave us towels to shower after we had checked out, but returned to the hostel in the afternoon before our flight. The annex building was only started about 6 months ago so it is very clean and in good condition. There is a little couch space at the front reception where you can hang out, otherwise there are more seats outdoor to the back of the hostel. The place is rather quiet as well and not a party hostel, but people staying there are still friendly:)

There are 3 toilets for the whole building which I think only has about 5 rooms. Never had to queue for toilets and shower gel is provided. The shower and toilet are all in the same cubicle, with the shower area separated from the toilet with a shower curtain. However that means that the shower floor is usually wet even if you are just going in to use it for the toilet. Didnt feel too gross though! As all guests have to leave their shoes on the rack when entering the hostel.

Location: The building is located in Lorong Chulia, which is just off the main (more busy) road of Lebuh Chulia. Which means peace and quiet when you sleep at night! (with the occasional motorcycle driving past your window which was fine). It is a rather quiet street however we never felt unsafe. The location is great, walking distance to most of georgetown's attractions and food places (The famous chendol, new lane coffee shop for char kuey tiao, and the hokkein mee behind first ave shopping mall) and if you need the hostel can call a taxi for you. There is pit stop cafe which does nice brunches and coffee art just across the hostel if you want somewhere to chill and get sick of street food.

Overall, really value for money for RM30. There is also breakfast of 2 eggs and toast provided but we just skipped that and headed for the street food. The hostel also sells some beer cans (RM5), and water if you need a quick drink but dont want to walk out to 7-11.

Room Tip: Get room 5 (4 bed dorm), at the very end of the second floor. Although the room faced the main road...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jayymine197
Sibu, Sarawak
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

The hostel is located at the strategy place to find for all the street walls at Georgetown. The owner and the staffs there are super friendly and helpful. They provide us with a lots of information about how to get to some of the interesting places around Penang. The room is very clean and away from noises. The breakfast provided is sufficient and simple. Worth every penny!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

The owner is unbelievably cute, friendly and helpful. My friend and I had visa issues for Thailand (our next stop) and he helped solve the problem and made sure everything was worked out. he really seemed to care about every single guest in the hostel. Unfortunately was going through small renovations, so made for noise and lots of dust at the time. Good location (down a small side road off the main strip.) Dorm beds were nice and the curtain and individual night lights made it more private. Toilets are quite open.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days with 6 other friends.

At the time of my stay (Jan 2013), the 2nd floor restroom door needed some maintenance otherwise it's flawless for a dorm at such affordable rate.

Great beds (single) and facilities. The A/C was colder than I expected at night but a blanket (need to request as there was only pillow provided) solves the problem.

There are computers standby for the guests to online, in case you need to check on flights (for example) and other information. Staff were friendly and helpful, and I had the best DIY coffee and toasts here.

What more can I say, I had a wonderful time staying here. Definitely earned my highest recommendation. 5/5.

Room Tip: Avoid top bunks if you are afraid of heights and/or have the tendency to fall off the bed, it's...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was staying at the hostel across from the main Roommates building. I cannot find a seperate name for this location and booked Roommates so I am assuming that this is just another building of the same hostel (I hope). The hostel itself is nothing too glamorous. It is a bit old but clean. The breakfast is small, just some toast and a hard boiled eggs. There is a wash machine and 4 shower/toilets and a water purifier. The rooms are 4 large twin beds (REALLY large twins, I could keep all of my things on my bed and still have plenty of room to sleep). What I loved the most was the atmosphere. The other backpackers were so friendly here, always sitting in the small lobby and talking. AND the owner is so unbelievably nice. We we first arrived they were celebrating something and offered me a glass of wine. The next day when I was having issues with money, he helped me call and talked to a local bank for me. He helped me look things up online. It was a very stressful few days and he was always smiling and reassuring me, trying his best to help where he could. At the time his generosity and genuine care for me took a huge amount of burden and stress off of me. I will forever be grateful! I would have given this location 5 out of 4 because of this, however, there was one younger worker who was a bit, um, intrusive. He walked into our bedroom multiple times without knocking. I would suggesting keeping the door locked in you are changing. Other than that, I LOVED staying here, meeting friendly and genuine people while traveling makes all the difference in the world. Gives you some hope in humanity and all :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends