“Laid back charm.”
Review of Coffee Atelier

Coffee Atelier
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed March 13, 2014

You couldn't beat this place for character, friendliness and high standard. Lovely staff, great coffee and a brilliant street terrace to sip an evening drink or eat. Not too noisy for sleeping but if you are a light sleeper choose a back room. If you are not good climbing stairs choose a downstairs room. Something for everybody.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathieHoiAn
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank's a lot for staying with us and glad you enjoyed George Town and our place!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Since we were in Penang, we had read that this place had excellent 3D Coffee Art. After checking into our hotel, I called up the restaurant to ensure that Steven was in and he answered the call and we immediately made reservations with him. Upon arrival, we were promptly seated and we made our order which was all just coffee with 3D art. When all our orders arrived, we were excited! The 3D coffee art was just so beautiful. Needless to say, we took as many photos before actually sipping our coffee, which was good. Two thumbs up to Steven for really making our day, he was polite over the phone and personally delivered our last coffee 3D art. Our friendswent back the next day and had more coffee fixes. We didn't have the food but would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reena Y
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Comfortable bed, beautifully decorated very spacious room and excellent breakfast. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Wifi speed very good and aircon works well. Some noise from the street but not overly intrusive. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank 10Patrick
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thanks again for staying with us! Glad you enjoyed your time in Penang!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Coffee Atelier pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. We stumbled across it on our first visit to Georgetown and met the amiable proprietor, Stefan, who took a preliminary reservation for our next visit. We live in Langkawi on a boat and have visited Georgetown three times so far.

The next visit was with my parents a month later, over from the UK for a two week trip. They were staying in Langkawi so we wanted to offer them a bit of history and culture for a couple of days. Georgetown offers this in abundance but with the plethora of places to stay we opted for Coffee Atelier because we'd already checked it out and inspected the rooms.

Coffee Atelier, being an old Chinese shop, comes about as close as you can get to an authentic experience of old colonial Georgetown, and Stefan has made a point of not modernising the building in any way. If you want something close to how the original Chinese shops looked all those years ago, look no further than Coffee Atelier.

We hired one shop (there are two), with a double on the ground floor for my parents and a double on the first for my wife and myself. There is a communal front hall before entering either 'apartment'. My parents benefited from having a courtyard, which we made the most of for sundowners, whilst my wife and I had the larger double upstairs. Although the upstairs room faces the street, it was pretty quiet during the night and we slept well on the extremely luxurious king-sized bed. The usual luxuries were included, from cable TV, a his and hers kimono and slippers and, most importantly, fresh coffee in the room! None of this Nescafe muck, but then we are staying in Coffee Atelier, so I'd expect no less ;)

Breakfast was included and we all opted for the Americana. I'm not keen on eggs so I swapped mine out for extra bacon. Not beef bacon, but proper bacon! My only complaint was that the staff seemed more concerned presenting young Chinese girls with fancy coffees, topped off with sculptured pigs heads in cream and marshmallows. One person spent the entire morning creating these wonders and I think his time could be better spent providing a more efficient breakfast service to the rest of the punters.

The food at the adjoining restaurant on the corner of the building does exceptional tapas. Why tapas when we're surrounded by all this gorgeous local cuisine? Because sometimes we want a change, and for those of us who have been away from Europe for almost a decade, a change in cuisine once in a while is always welcome. My wife and I opted for the Seafood Lovers tapas and it was exceptional.

I've read through the feedback from an established Trip Advisor reviewer who made a disparaging comment on the poor wine recommendation from the waitress. This is rubbish. Our waitress's recommendation was absolutely spot on and appeared to be quite educated in the wine selection.

I think that same reviewer made some pretty pathetic comments about the 'strange measurements of the wardrobe', poor wi-fi, 'chewy croissants' and I have to say none of what she claims is true. Pretty much everything about our stay here was excellent, from the service to the comfort of the rooms.

Finally, I should reiterate how good Stefan was. After we left and my parents returned to the UK, my mother realised she had left her camera behind in a batik shop. I called Stefan and he personally walked to the shop to pick up the camera. He would have posted it to the UK for us too, were it not for the fact my wife and I were returning to Georgetown a week later to do a visa run. Service beyond our expectation.

Room Tip: If you want a courtyard, go for the ground floor where the room is set back from the street. However...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank followtheboat

Thanks again for staying with us - we are glad you had a good time here in Penang!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Spent a couple of nights here with my partner and his parents. Each of the two shop houses, owned by Stefan, is divided into apartments. We took upstairs at number 49, and his folks took downstairs, so we had the whole house to ourselves, including the high-ceilinged entrance hall. Downstairs has its own shaded courtyard, where we had a few drinks each night, along with breakfast on the last morning. Outside the front door is a veranda which runs the length of the four shophouses (the other two are a laid-back tapas bar and an art gallery).
"Upstairs may be slightly noisey, because it overlooks the street," said Stefan.
We didn't hear a murmur and slept the sleep of angels in an enormous four poster bed. The parentals slept equally soundly in their bedroom at the rear of the building downstairs.
Little details like batik kimono dressing gowns, glass shampoo and shower gel bottles, as much water as you can drink, local artwork, comfortable antique furniture and gushing showers made our stay more than comfortable.
When we left Penang without the mother's camera (she left it in the changing room of Sam's Batik House) Stefan was kind enough to collect it and hold it for us until our return trip a week later.
Charming man. Laid-back and refined rooms. Marvellous.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank LizCleere
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thanks a lot, Liz, for staying with us - hope to see you sometimes soon again!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had a great stay on Penang! The pinnacle of our time here was the moment I engaged to my girlfriend on Penang Hill on NYE. Stefan was really helpful in facilitating all of this and even arranged a bottle of Moet, a cooler and glasses. The hotel itself is very charming. Comfortable bed, warm water, great interior and atmosphere. The restaurant and bar are lovely too. A great place to celebrate the engagement and New Years. Thanks again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarno M
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thanks a lot for staying with us, Jarno - all the best wishes to you and your wife!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The room we had was large and nicely decorated with old Chinese antiques. Great old world feel. Great shower, comfy beds, great amenities.
Would definitely return to this hotel on future visits.
The hotel manager, Robelina, was friendly and informative. Owner Stefan was quick & responsive to my messages.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thanks a lot for staying with us, Bridget - hope to see you again!