“Great location in the heart of the unesco heritage old town”
Review of Coffee Atelier

Coffee Atelier
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The room we had was large and nicely decorated with old Chinese antiques. Great old world feel. Great shower, comfy beds, great amenities.
Would definitely return to this hotel on future visits.
The hotel manager, Robelina, was friendly and informative. Owner Stefan was quick & responsive to my messages.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thanks a lot for staying with us, Bridget - hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Coffee Atelier

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night before moving over to cheaper options in the area (would have loved to stay for the full three days in Georgetown but, sadly, it was out of our budget). Since it is a new hotel, our taxi driver was unable to find the specific location, even with a phone call to the hotel, and dropped us at the corner. Rubilyn greeted us warmly upon arrival and showed us to our room. The room was absolutely beautiful and decorated with a personal touch. We loved the private garden and the brilliant renovations to accommodate the bath. Rubilyn was kind enough to find a converter for the outlet so that we could charge our devices. The bed was comfortable and especially cozy after adding the comforter found in the wardrobe. We could clearly hear our neighbors when they came in late night, but that is to be expected considering the building's former life. Breakfast in the restaurant was an English breakfast and we would have preferred the option to order something more authentic to the region, especially since the quality of the food was not that good. We also were unimpressed with the wait staff in the restaurant as they were inefficient and seemed indifferent to serving us, though we gave them the benefit of the doubt by remembering that it's a newly opened establishment. That aside it was great hotel and we would have really loved to stay longer. Hopefully we can do just that on our return trip through lovely Malaysia in the future.

Room Tip: Really loved the private garden bath.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your extensive review and for staying with us!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Coffee Atelier is an amazing place to stay. Very good location in the heart of heritage Georgetown. There is a lot to see within walking distance.

The rooms are spacious and decorated with great attention to details. Spectacular open air bathroom. All over very clean.

The staff were all helpful and friendly. We felt very welcome from the first minute almost like at home.

We enjoyed our stay at the Coffee Atelier a lot and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stefan G, Manager at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us - hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stumbled upon this place while reviewing rooms on TripAdvisor when my usual place (The Chulia Heritage Hotel, another fantastic place) was fully booked. When the hotel blurb read 'converted coffee factory' I was immediately intrigued (I like Georgetown style coffee you see, the 'kopi peng' or iced coffee at Toh Soon Cafe being my favorite). I usually stay at backpacker-type digs, but decided to upgrade for this trip, so booked a room through Agoda.

I arrived on a Friday afternoon and walked to Lorong Stewart from the Jetty. its not too far away, and you get to walk along Lebuh Chulia, always an amusing place at any time of day. Once you reach Jalan Kapitan Keling and spot Eu Yan Seng, hang a right and walk a bit til you see the Goddess Of Mercy Temple. Take the left lane and just walk along it for maybe 5 minutes and you'll see the hotel.

I arrived and looked around for a your traditional hotel counter. There's none, which was a plus sign for me. The very perky and bubbly Filipino concierge (Razlyn? Rozlyn? I can't recall exactly) greeted me, checked me in and ushered me into the room. She took pains to explain to me the safety rules, the showed me into the drawing room... Yes. A drawing room. With an eclectic mix of groovy China pop-art and antique furniture decorating it. The lighting was just really somber and soothing. I got Suite 47A which was the lower ground unit.

Now as the website described it, there are only 4 units. I took it to mean there were 4 rooms. I was wrong. I got the entire lower ground floor of a converted turn-of-the-century shophouse all to myself! This was just plain awesome!

To enter the room, you'll enter through a vestibule first, then a small antechamber/ dressing room with another antique wardrobe and dresser, setting you up for the room proper. With a four poster bed and mosquito netting (only for you gwailos, us Asians are immune to mosquitos... plus there's no bugs whatsoever. Its a really clean place! I don't understand that reviewer who said he/she found this place disgusting. Probably a poor perpetually disgruntled soul taking it out on any place.), cozy lighting and lots of cushions and pillows, this was really, really nice.

The room leads into the rear kitchen/ bathroom area. you can still see remnants of the brick stove where families used to cook and prepare their meals. The bathroom is quite cool, with a 'kolah' type thing. For the mat sallehs out there, a 'kolah' is where water is filled up in a trough and you splash it over yourself as you bathe. Very old-school. The most charming thing about this area is the ceiling/ roof. Very light and airy, you can see and hear raindrops pitter-patter overhead when the skies pour.

Amenities are not lacking, you get groovy batik bathrobes, organic bath products, wi-fi, satellite tv. Location-wise its not 'dodgy' at all as some reviewers say (they're probably the type who flinches at a sneezing dog anyways). Walk up the street and you can go to the Camera Museum, quite an amusing place to spend an afternoon. Or walk back along the lane to Lebuh Kapitan Keling and gawk at the life, color and noise that is Little India. There's a bicycle rental shop just outside on Lorong Chulia/ Leboh Pasar.

Some points to note:
i. Breakfast is provided, yes its nice and the coffee is top-notch, but I'd rather have local food out there. A tip here: Walk up to Lebuh Campbell and have coffee at Toh Soon, or go to Argyll Road and have the awesome roti canai with the trademark red beef curry.
ii. Wi-fi is a bit dodgy inside the room, but if you sit in the drawing room outside, the reception is fine.

In short, I really like this place and I'd definitely come here again.

Room Tip: I think if you're travelling with a family, they'll automatically assign you to the top-floo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank RonYaacob
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and many thank for your detailed review - showed it also to my staff Rubilyn who answered with a very happy face - definately motivation for all of us to strive for the best!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

stayed there last month with my husband. worst boutique hotel i have ever stayed in. rooms are dirty, staff unfriendly. food is terrible. Penang is awesome but my recommendation, dont stay here. for its ridiculous price, better stay somewhere else. there are lots of other nicer hotels nearby town area. By the way, the location is even worst, near dirty alleys and lots of 'weird' people walking around. We didnt feel safe in this place.

Room Tip: dont stay here ever
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xeno m

Dear Xeno,

First of all our apologies that we could not meet your expectations.

I dont know if your name is Xeno - a few weeks ago I sent you via your Tripadvisor account an email, asking you for your name and when you stayed with us in order I can check also with my staff what went so wrong.

When discussing your review with my staff we could not figure out who it might have been. So if you could give us some more details it would be very helpul for us. Thank you.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with two friends in one of the upstairs suites. We arrived hours too early after a long trip fro KL on the night train and were given a great welcome and a free (!) breakfast. Rooms were charming and sensitively and gorgeously restored. We had a Great main room with a smaller room for the third guest. Little touches like batik bath robes make you feel like a guest and not just a customer. Breakfast was of the hearty eggs and bacon kind and the western food in the restaurant was of a good standard. The coffee was also great!! The gallery also has fab painting on display ( though sadly outside my budget).

Though this is not a hotel everyone in the restaurant was happy to offer advice and help as if they were concierges. Ordering taxis, giving directions and generally bending over backwards to help.

I would return for the welcome and the charm at reasonable rates. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you again for staying with us - I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Coffee Atelier! Please visit us again!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at coffee atelier. The staff was very kind and Stephan organised a tour through the old town for us. Coffee atelier is located very close to "love lane" in the centre of George Town. You'll find great food around the place as well as in the Coffee that belongs to the Hotel. The rooms are very big and decorated very nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stefan G, Owner at Coffee Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thanks again for staying with us, it was a pleasure having you as our guests! See you sometimes again.l