“Low density hotel with heritage deco”

1881 Chong Tian Hotel
Ranked #69 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
KL
“Low density hotel with heritage deco”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I personally think that the price is still reasonable as it's a low density hotel with only 11 rooms, we have more privacy during our stay. Can't really compare with the big name hotels. Each room deco with local antiques n theme, the room is spacious too. Location is great, easy to get public buses.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford Uk
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a fortunate "traveller".
I get the opportunity, for business, to stay in some "nice" hotels.
So maybe my “expectations” are a little high.

I caught a glimpse on a TV travel programme of a feature on the 1881 Chong Tian Hotel Penang, which looked impressive and led me to their web-site.

"Presenting the first and only luxury gateway to 19th century Chinatown of Penang....." is how their website describes their Hotel.

“ the open air roof top bar oversees a breath-taking panoramic view of iconic Georgetown” sounds perfect for pre-dinner glass of champagne or G & T.

I booked two nights in their “top” Seah Suite and was asked to pay. OK. RM 998 per night, (about USD 320).

More expensive than then a suite at the Eastern & Oriental which is very close and an adorable hotel.

More expensive than an executive room at the beautiful Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort, which is also in Penang.

But OK, it is a special occasion and I wanted to try somewhere new and different.

Big mistake!

First disappointment on arrival was to be informed that the roof top bar was closed as there were problems with noise.

Why was I not informed of this when making the reservation?

When I asked about where to have a pre-dinner drink was told only option was the restaurant or a Karaoke room……not what we had in mind!

Let me just say that I know that this is a “Heritage” hotel and therefore is going to be “different” .

The “luggage only” lift was amusing and the steep stairs to the first floor in “character” with the age of the building.

When entering our room the first thing that hit you was the pungent and musky smell.
Never mind I’d read on the website that the suite had an “court yard bathroom” so we could easily open a few windows and air the place….wrong. The “court yard bathroom” is enclosed completely.

Open the windows and you over look the kitchen store area and the entrance to the ground floor loo’s!

“furnished with priceless 19th century unique…..” with no where to hang anything?

The décor was appalling. Large damp patches on the walls. Strange looking “slim marks” in the bathroom. Dangerous looking sockets next to the sink.

But what was the real “clincher”, in making the decision that we could not stay in this hotel, was the strange looking “mouldy fungi” growing on the window frames. It looked decidedly unhealthy!

So despite having pre-paid we left without even turning down the bed sheets…………

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank TonyOxfordUk
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed at 1881 for 4 nights, and was treated with an excellent service. The rooms are spacious and have a unique feel. The restaurant is fantastic and very reasonably priced. Close to local heritage sites. Highly recommend 1881 if you are after a Penang heritage experience.

Room Tip: depends on your budget.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt123Geog
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We loved the location of this hotel--you're only blocks away from Little India, China Town, and just a short rickshaw ride to the other places to see. It's also a short walk to the bus station, where you can get a bus to anything outside of walking distance, like Penang Hill and Batu Feringhi.

The decor is amazing--it feels like you're staying in a museum! Our room was comfortable, with great little extra touches, like a tea station and great air con.

The staff is always friendly and helpful. We needed non-feather pillows, and they got some for us quickly. They were also always ready with a good restaurant recommendation. 100% of the places they recommended were fantastic. Just make sure that at night you walk down Jalan Campbell instead of Jalan Chulia. Some "ladies of the night" come out on Jalan Chulia.

I wish that they had breakfast included--even something simple, like an assortment of breads, fruit and coffee. I also wish that they had told us to avoid Jalan Chulia at night! We had to learn that the hard way!

We definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to see the old town of Georgetown.

Room Tip: We had room 2, which was a HUGE room for the four of us (two parents, two kids). It was a bit noisy...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

One word to describe this hotel" Thumbs Up".Let's start my journey story...first I stay in this 1881 Chong Tian Hotel that located at Rope walk.It is the main town area in penang.It special interior and exterior design totally catch my feeling..when I direct walk in to this hotel,the receptionist was so friendly and manners to serve me. After compare with others hotel like yeng keng,campbell house,banana and etc..my final decision is to stay at 1881 Chong Tian Hotel.I can get the cultural feeling if compare to other hotels.The others hotel is too modern and even totally not cultural.Oh yes,one more things...from the receptionist information i knows that 1881 Chong Tian Hotel currently get first prize winner of the most cultural hotel among asia pacific .For those who really want to enjoy this feeling i recommend you to this hotel.it totally can;t compare with other hotels nearby there.I was check in to standard room Room 7.First,the hotel owner maintain the wood stairs and the courtyard,so it will be a bit hot because is open air. One more,there have a retro lift but just provide to our laugage..haha..i thinking to try but not allow to use it.After enter to the room,WOOW...I LIKE IT.THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!! The room decoration is so amazing...the bed so comfortable and etc.once you open the window,you can feel that look like staying in a village.The morning sun and the fresh air...woww....!! No more word can describe to this hotel anymore...i love it...i will be back and recommend to my relatives and friends. I hope that my next time trip i can meet up to this hotel owner,and if i not mistaken i think the owner name is Mr Seah,SALUTE to you MR SEAH!!

Room Tip: Check on the room picture before make decision because the room design is too attractive.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jolinkarista
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This has got to be one of the worst hotels i've ever stayed in. The room smelt the bathroom was dirty there was nowhere to hang clothes the lift was not for guests only luggage. there was no breakfast. Arriving back one evening the lights in my room didn't work. It was a sort of Chinese Faulty Towers.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay there
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nigel B
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just explored this superb awesome and historical hotel in Georgetown. There are 11 different kind of decoration of rooms which are full of antiques. The gorgeous design makes me feel like goes back to 100 years ago with the classic music. The location is really awesome which is really a heritage place. The hotel is also very considerate. They provide car jockey due to the lack space of parking lot, which means that we're not worry about to find the parking lot by delaying our time to explore more awesome place.

A good service is definitely important to me as in wanted to enjoy my holiday. They also provided good service by fulfill my demand effectively, with a great friendly smile too. Besides, the friendly staff does explain to me each of their antiques.

There is also a Chinese restaurant at the ground floor. Their Chinese cuisine is really delicious with “ Nyonya” style. I personally loves it. I would definitely bring my friends and family to visit here again by sharing this awesome historical building.

To show filial respect to old ones, we can bring them to here. I think they would definitely loves it as in the ambiance is really nice and comfortable. Of course to the youngster would loves it too because they would like to enjoy the historical place as in they could experience the back in time like me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo