“The Pearly of Penang- a memorable experience!”

Penang Homecooking School
Ranked #1 of 13 Food & Drink in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sign up for my cooking classes and learn secrets and tips for authentic Malaysian cooking. Daily classes except Sunday is in my home. Visit the market and learn to use fresh produce. You prepare and eat together with other food obsessed people! . Please leave message in my mobile if you need too and i will reply the message after class. Difficult to handle calls duirng cooking class.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am so overdue in writing this review as I was lucky enough to take a cooking class from the fabulous Pearly (with assistance from dapper Chandra) in December 2012 after having just moved to Malaysia.
The class was fantastic- we were able to make each dish 3x to perfect our skills; the knowledge was incredible- Pearly and Chandra know any and everything about Penang and Nonya food culture (which is so diverse and intricate); and the company was tops- I still believe Pearly and Chandra deserve their own show. They both are legends and I felt lucky to get into their class.
I bought her cookbook for my mom who is now tasked with trying to perfect the beautiful recipes from Ms Pearly herself.
This was the best part of Penang- by far!

1  Thank alannag186
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Gosh, after all these months and a year have pass, you still remember us.

I am overwhelmed with happiness, thank you for this wonderful review. Looking forward to see you again.

All reviews
"curry kapitan"
in 10 reviews
"cook book"
in 9 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Fantastic cooking class, enjoyed very much!!! At home,I cooked all the dishes made during Pearly's class and they were so delicious!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Pearly! And I bought her book from the shop at the Spice garden.

1  Thank Gab29_13

So so proud of you, Gab....

Keep cooking and let us know the results. Happy to know you. Come again ya!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a bit tricky to write as I was so looking forward to the lesson, but fell ill from a meal the night before. Pearly was great though and provided me with herbs and a place to lay my head whilst my wife did all the cooking. All I really remember is the tour of the wet market which was great (even though I threw up there twice - nothing to do with the course) and eating some of the end product which was great.

What really impressed was the tips you pick up, like soak the vegies and herbs/spices first and of course Pearly's enthusiasm for what she does. She is a true ambassador for local cooking.

I look forward to doing this course again when I was not so ill.

1  Thank JonandTracyBaker

Yes. Chandra and I look forward to see you again. Hope your stomach is ok now and no more vomitting.

You sure your wife is not pregnant cos if you vomit like that, prolly you are going thru the morning sickness from your wife. ha ha ha....

Looking forward to see you all again.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Pearly’s cooking class was a great way to learn about the history and culture of Penang. The day started with a tour of a beautiful food market. We tasted durian, nibbled on basil and smelled the Penang ginger (not to be confused with Chinese ginger). We then make our way to Pearly’s home, where we cooked in an open (and well-organized) porch area. Pearly is an excellent teacher, taking the time to guide us through each step. She obviously has a lot of love for her work, food and culture.

2  Thank Rutstra
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I love my food, not only teaching it. I eat it daily. Simply the best. So sharing my love is so so satisfying. I am so pleased you enjoyed the time and spent time writing this awesome response. Chandra and I are truly blessed meeting great people like you.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Thanks Pearly, last weekend I had my family to my home for a celebration, my Beef Rendang was the talk of the night ( because it was so good).

I would recommend a day with Pearly and Chandra. They were welcoming and caring from the time Pearly picked me up from my hotel.The day was full fun, visiting the Pulau Tikus market and it's store holders before cooking at Pearly's. Pearly's knowledge and skill made it easy for me (who is not a great cook) to follow the recipes. We Finished the day sharing the food that had been prepared.

Pearly, I have enjoyed showing your cookbook to family and friends.

Classes were so easy to organise over the internet prior to visiting Penang

1  Thank maryhornibrook

Wow, you are so good, you must have been a great listener. ha ha. Thank you for cooking so fast when you get home. Cook more dishes ya!