“Perfect way to spend our 1 day in Penang”

Penang Homecooking School
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sign up for my cooking classes and learn secrets and tips for authentic Malaysian cooking. Daily classes except Sunday is in my home. Visit and learn our fresh produce. You prepare and eat together with other food obsessed people! No classes from May 20th to June 4th, away in China for Gourmand Award.
Hong Kong, China
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Perfect way to spend our 1 day in Penang”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My sister and I only had 1 full day to spend in Penang and Pearly's cooking course was the optimal way to fit in most of what we wanted to experience - visiting a market, learning about local food, cooking and most of all EATING. Although it was expensive, we were both happy with the value we received for the cost. Both Pearly and Chandra came to pick us up promptly in the morning, we spent lots of time at the local market sampling food and learning about herbs, spices and veggies and then had a full afternoon of cooking and feasting in their fully equipped home (the fresh nutmeg juice was amazing). Pearly provided recommendations for spices I could bring home as presents, and both her and Chandra gave us local tips for the best restaurants and sights to visit in our limited time left in Penang. As a bonus, we even had a fantastic film crew following us around all day to record the entire experience for an upcoming documentary on Nyonya cooking. Lots of fun and highly recommended.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank whereisjo
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Both of you are lovely. I am glad you enjoyed the food, wet market and experiences. We are glad to meet both of you.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great day”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed the day starting at the markets and ended by stuffing my face with the product of my toil!

Pearly and Chandra are great and Pearly is both an excellent cook and instructor.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend this experience if you love Nyonya food.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bryan W
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
It is always a joy to teach someone who loves food. Like you, they keep saying, so so hungry now. And some pinch the food when my back was turn. They smile at each other. Then they continue cooking and this time, took the whole bowl out and eat openly and cook all the way.

But you are cooking as fast as you can so that you can begin eating. Watching you was fun. Nice knowing you and come back again.
Hong Kong, China
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“As amazing as described by the other reviews”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was probably the most expensive, and yet most memorable experience we had in Penang. As described from the other reviewers, you get plenty of time, assistance and attention throughout the class and you get to enjoy the whole cooking and tasting experience. We had a nice long chat with Pearly and Chandra during lunch and that certainly added to our experience.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank toad_k
Both of you were so excited and it was your first time learning. You did very well and for me sharing with you, our life and food will be a great learning for you to start your life. Think of us when you heal some animals coming your way.

Great meeting both of you and come again to lovely Penang island where food is our way of life. ::))
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An Amazing Experience!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

One of the biggest highlights of our trip to Penang was being able to attend the Penang Home Cooking School. We made the booking easily enough, expecting someone to pick us up but not Pearly herself!

The fresh food market tour was a great way to start the day. There is no better way to understand local food than exploring and meeting the locals.

Pearly has the perfect set up at her home and you don't need to be a great cook you just need to enjoy food, have a willingness to learn and most importantly have FUN!.

We cooked Sambal Goreng, Char Koay Teow and Assam Laksa and the great thing about the recipes that Pearly teaches is that they can be easily recreated in your own home. Pearly and her husband Chanda are wonderful hosts and teachers. Thank you also for the homemade nutmeg juice, it was amazing!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank MarshallGivens
Yes, most of our guest loves our home made nutmeg juice. It is pinkish in color and the sweet fragrance of the nutmeg oil never fails to make me happy. We always love the experience to hear what they have to say.

Your enthusiasm to learn is so encouraging. You make the best teacher appear right in front of you. Chandra and I both enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for touching our lives too.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic and informative”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I did Pearly's cooking course when I visited Georgetown at the end of January. This was at the end of 8 weeks in South East Asia for me, where I had completed many cooking classes, and it was definitely the best.

Pearly and her husband Chandra met me at my hotel; from there we did a market tour (which was truly fantastic) before starting the day of cooking. I cooked six dishes that Pearly helped me choose. Apart from the great recipes that I came away with (including the ones in Pearly's cookbook ;)), I think the best thing was coming away with some good basic skills, techniques and knowledge that I have been able to incorporate into my cooking (with great success!).

I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about nyonya cooking; and I guarantee with the help of Pearly's great explanations, you will be able to re-create your recipes at home!

Thanks Pearly and Chandra! Will definitely do another course if I come back to Penang!

Visited January 2013
3 Thank MapleT1984
Chandra and I are so happy you enjoyed the class. Like you, we also looking forward to meeting different guest.

Most guest greets us as if they have known us for ages which makes our days so much fun. They like you feels so connected and it is no wonder life is indeed special every day. We are thankful we meet special people like you.

So so glad to know you!