“Pearls of Wisdom and Flavour”

Penang Homecooking School
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sign up for my cooking classes and learn secrets and tips for authentic Malaysian cooking. Daily classes except Sunday is in my home. Visit and learn our fresh produce. You prepare and eat together with other food obsessed people! No classes from May 20th to June 4th, away in China for Gourmand Award.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Pearly's cooking class is something you definitely want to do in Penang. It's such a great way to get an intimate insight into this rich and diverse culture. My friend and I ran into Pearly at the Spice Garden, such an engaging and friendly person, we were quizzing her on Penang''s culinary delights. It was only till the end of the conversation that she told us she ran a Nonya cooking school. Wanting to hear more about Nonya cooking as well as Pearly's incredible life we booked into a class the next day. Pearly and her wonderfully charming husband Chandra picked us up from our hotel and took us on a tour of the market, where they have the down low on what's what and whose who. They tailored the cooking session to food we wanted to learn how to cook. They invested so much time and effort into us and went above and beyond what was required. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I truly enjoyed your company, 3 of you. I miss you heaps. Your smile, laughter still lingers on till today. When I think of the day I met both of you, it was the best end of the day gift.

Meeting someone nice is a real pleasure and you are one friend, I would love to have for a long time. Thanks for the great time. I still smile and see your tinkling eye, girlie!!!!!

Nice to know you, says Chandra too....

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was one of our most treasured experiences on our recent trip to Malaysia. The morning started with a tour of the local market, pointing out and collecting the ingredients for the meals we were to learn how to cook. Then returing to Pearly's place to be expertly guided with warmth and good humour to create three vegetarian culinary delights. Most importantly, the key ingredient in the day was Pearly and her husband Chandra, and conversations spanned the health benefits of various foods to their cultural origins. Sitting to lunch with Pearly and Chandra felt like the best of times with old friends. Fine food, finer people.

1  Thank karin s

Love begets love, nice people meets nicer people. Meeting both of you is truly a joy. You are a gem.

Chandra and I feels very privileged to know you.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

It was so easy. Pearly and husband Chandra picked us up from our hotel.

Then, we spent loads of time in the market, learning about food, and tasting many samples. Pearly seems to own the place, exhibiting warm relationships with many vendors.

Back at the house, Pearly patiently helped us prepare the food. She was kind enough to talk about her family history and Nyonya food and culture.

They are both wonderful and accommodating. It was a great way to spend most of a day.

2  Thank je4son

Sweet people, easy to please. We feel so blessed to know you.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment we were picked up, to the moment we were dropped off, Pearly and Chandra made us feel exceptionally welcome and greeted us like real friends.

We started with the market tour which was great fun; Pearly knows everyone, and my girlfriend and I were soon in the depths of the market eating new and exciting things. After a quick coffee break we headed across to Pearly's house where the cooking takes place. Pearly and Chandra have a lovely outdoor cooking space set within their small garden full of fresh herbs and spices. We learnt to cook 3 dishes which were all cooked from scratch and then eaten as a delicious lunch. Pearly even made us some sweets to try (very tasty).

All in all, whether you are an experienced cook looking for detailed and professional knowledge or a complete amateur interested in authentic nyonya food, there is something for everyone. Pearly also has a great book out which we can now refer to at home.

Next time we're are in Penang we will definately return for the next lesson in Nyonya cooking!

3  Thank FredH23
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Gosh...you are unforgettable!!!. Your enthusiasm inspires me to share lots with you. I do sometimes talks alot and you were simply AWESOME.

Sorry if I talk too much. ha ha

Chandra and I look forward to see you again. Tell Dr Tim to come this time.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked the day with Pearly as a surprise for my wife as part of our trip to Penang, I thought it would be nice and maybe we could learn a thing or two about cooking spicy food, my wife’s a chef, I enjoy cooking and I enjoy eating, so food is something we are both passionate about.
I thought I loved food; however I quickly discovered I did not know the true meaning of love when it comes to food and that I just enjoyed eating it.
We met Pearly at the wet markets accompanied by another young couple from Australia and a young lady from India whom writes her own blog about food (http://bombaychowparty.wordpress.com/) we were all clearly excited about what the day was to bring. Pearly walked us through the markets and described all the different varieties of fruit and veg to us and shared her knowledge of medicinal remedies that each item could be used for, we found this to be very insightful and we learnt a lot.
At the end of the tour we stopped at a café and Pearly bought us a drink and as we sat there taking in all the sights and sounds Pearly shared something from the heart. Pearly told us about her love of eggs and how when she was a little girl the family sold eggs to survive and how they were a luxury the family could not afford to eat them-selves. Something as plain as an egg that we in Australia take for granted could stir so much passion in somebody absolutely threw me, I love food but I wouldn’t even rate an egg, yet here was a woman who as a child had to sneak one to eat knowing that her family was relying on them to make ends meet and now eats them every day to make up for it. I could see her passion for eggs was more than about just eating them; it was about her childhood and all the things she missed out on and about triumph over adversity and her place in society today.
We went to Pearly’s house after our visit to the markets and proceeded to take our lessons. We didn’t cook the best tasting food that day I’ve ever had but it was very nice. We used plain ingredients, only about 5 or 6 for each dish. We learnt how to prepare them properly and how to use the right temperature and how to mix them and add them at the right time as part of the cooking process and that if you take the time to prepare the ingredients you can provide the family with a meal that they will love because they know it was prepared with love and that it’s the simple things that you will cherish when you have everything or nothing at all.

This was the best thing we did in Penang

3  Thank Dazontrac

I am so glad your wife who is a chef finds the class useful.

We love having you both and nice to have met you.