“Wish I'd listened to the bad reviews on here!”

Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel
Essex, United Kingdom
“Wish I'd listened to the bad reviews on here!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a rather rude receptionist who only seemed to perk up when I handed money over and then she finally cracked a smile. This doesn't really faze me as I find most hostels in Asia have this problem but never mind. We checked into our dorm, staying in beds 10 & 11 for 2 nights and got sorted and acquainted with some others there. I liked the querky feel to the house and it seemed in a good location. It wasn't until we went to bed and I noticed some black beads on my bed, so I went to pick them off and was horrified when they burst into blood spots on my sheets. BED BUGS!! We'd been in Asia for 2 months and have been lucky not to experience this problem, but after speaking with bed number 12, she also found bed bugs on her mattress. We checked out the next morning and I told them what I had experienced. There was no apology or promise to get rid of the bugs, just a bored 'ok' from the receptionist. A shame as the gentleman that runs the breakfast in the morning is so jolly and welcoming but the other staff were so miserable. Wish I'd actually taken note of the amount of complaints for bed bugs on Reggae House's Tripadviser reviews! They weren't lying!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Bunny110125

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent 4 nights in Reggae Penang Love Lane. I've stayed at the Reggae Mansion in KL and expected the same, but it wasnt. I guess its very hard to expect that in Penang. The hostel was overall pretty good. The staff was very accomodating. But what really lacked was the party atmosphere of KL. Otherwise it was cool to stay there. I enjoyed the staff, Ceemi was very helpful, and although she was sick at the time of my trip, she did her best to help me out with information, and anything i needed around the hostel. If i was staying in Penang again i would probably stay again. But not expect it to live up to Reggae Mansion KL. That hostel is probably one of the best ever. I will write a seperate review for it.

The layouts are pretty similar with boxed in beds for privacy. And showers and toilets are shared outside.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here one night before flying onwards to thailand.

Overall it was a good enough base. Doom bed layouts were abit strange, reminded me of a submarine.

Bar that all was good, location very useful, they serve beer / have wifi. Communal shower could do with a lick of paint / tidy up.

Overall id have no issues staying there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed at Reggae Love Lane for 3 nights and overall had an average experiences. The design of the hostel are cool and the shower system pretty good and I could say that was a little bit over my expectation. The breakfast and fresh towel are included with the price per night.

The only one thing that I found it wasn't common if you compare with other hostels was the service of the staffs.
They will treat you good if you didn't bring or make problem for the dorm, but they can be the real honeybadger if anyone makes some trouble.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

What a great find! Lovely colonial style boutique hotel right in the heart of the heritage area of Penang.
When we arrived we were made to feel really welcome by the owner/manager, he was like a big cuddly bear! Nothing was too much trouble for him, giving us beach towels and recommending the best place to go.
Breakfast was amazing with either a choice of Malaysian roti canai with scrambled egg or traditional English with fruit, fresh bread or cereals too.
They also have a great steak and frites restaurant where we eat on our first evening - the literally melted in our mouths! Cooked to perfection!
We only wished we could have stayed longer. I would definitely recommend booking this hotel without question.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 1 night and the hostel is really cool. The room's bed is like boxes and provided with curtains but towels arent given and u have to pay rm 20 for a towel?! And you must deposit rm 20 for the room key incase you lose it. Security is tight. They didnt provide breakfast for me and i late check out and they took my deposit rm 20 for the room key. My friend got bitten by the bed bugs all over her legs and hands.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank zafranzak
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

First of all - big minus point for this hostel as it does not accept people from Malaysia, India or the Middle East OR people over 60 years old to stay here. Makes even someone from Europe not want to go there. However still booked it for one night because it is a well known chain in Malaysia and also has two in hostels Kuala Lumpur where many people I know have stayed. I don't know about those but this one has not really conivinced me. Service is poor and no WiFi in rooms. Location good but many other good options around here.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends