“Rats, rats, rats!!!!!!”

Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Don't stay here!
I don't know why nobody else complained about this place.
I stayed in the 14 bed dorm. The beds are like boxes, one above the other, so if you're claustrophobic maybe is uncomfortbale, but, by the other way, I thaught it was ok cause gives you more privacy.
Well...I start to unpack my things to get a shower after a very long trip and we heard a noise inside the room.
There was a domestic tramp with a rat!!
We talked to the owner, but she was "so funny"..."why I was scared about Mickey Mouse?""
Anyway, I took in a good mood becasue it was Christmas night, so I didn't want to find another place.
But after that I talked with the people that had stayed teher longer, and they said that they heard rats running inside the dorm all and every night, and also 1 guy showed me pictures of his bed full of mouse poop...I runned to see one of our bed that was on the 1st level, and..same...full of poop...disgusting!!
The same people also told me that they complained about this with the management, and they said they didn't know anything about that, and they also didn't do anything.
Well...trying still a good mood, we were sitting and talking on the corridor outside the room, and once again, we saw rats walking...and when I slept of course I heard rats running inside...and of course in the next morning there was another rat trapped on the tramp INSIDE the room, and the down bed were also full of mouse poop.
What else can I say???
Worst stay ever, and also because the people didn't do anything else than put those domestic tramps, and they were walking around with the tramps and the rats like they had flowers or something.
I understand that In Asia you can see rats and things like that, and I also can understand that there is some old neighbor that can have this problem...but in your room, on your bed...and of course in the kitchen...because they offer free breakfast, but for me...no way!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriela M
There are newer reviews for Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel

Reviewed December 25, 2012

i stayed here with a friend in the 14-bed dorm room. was a really good stay. the room was better than we expected for a 14-bed dorm cause there was a lot of privacy as the beds are all separated with walls and curtains. the staff were very friendly and helpful, they gave us a lot of advice as of what to see and do. this is a party hostel though so it could get a bit noisy at night having the bar downstairs. the rooms were extremely clean however for some reason we had tiny rats running around at night at some point.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here on mid-October. It seems like the hotel only got mixed dorm room. The room was ok with air-con and so much privacy. The only thing to complain was the noisy neighbor, which seems like they were not understand in being tolerate.

The bathroom is also clean, despite being shared bathroom. It has hot shower, which kinda useless in a hot Penang whether back in October :D

The hostel has 3 wifi with excellent speed.

The breakfast was ok. We got toast and omelette. You should try their mushroom soup. It's delicious! They also serve lunch set in very reasonable price.

Since it's a hostel and bar, it can be a bit noisy at night with the loud music.

If you stay here, you must know uncle Charlie. He's a very funny and helpful staff. On our last day staying here, uncle Charlie make sure we don't miss our flight and give us very clear guidance on which bus should we take and how long will it reach the airport.

We also make friend with the bar staff named Lani. She was very sweet and have a lot of thing to tell.

Definitely gonna stay here again when we come back to Penang

Room Tip: Ask for the lower bed
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here after an excellent stay in the Reggae Mansion in Kuala Lumpur. Although not as nice as the Reggae Mansion in KL, we still had a very enjoyable stay. The rooms are smaller however, and there are not individual codes on each dorm, just one code to get upstairs and then you can get into any dorms once you've got through that door. It is pretty noisy as everyone congregates on the balcony outside the rooms, but has a great atmosphere if you're wanting to stay up and meet new people rather than sleep. The receptionist was incredibly unfriendly and it took us over half an hour to check in, but we found all the other staff very friendly - one man who was working there took a group of us out to a Chinese celebration in the street one night and looked after the whole group. Great location and very clean

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meg D
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Overall my stay here during the middle of October was solid. The mixed dorm room with great air-con, shared hot shower and included internet and breakfast for only MR28 ($9 USD). The dorm beds are literally a walled off cubicle but with a light and electric plug-ins. Note: this is a backpacker party environment! Only downside is that the ladies at the reception don't know too much about the area's attractions and do not drink at their downstairs bar - it is very expensive!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Reggae Penang for 4 nights. Dorm rooms are exceptionally clean with ample space and so much privacy!! We found the staff incredibly friendly and hepful, the brekfast that is included is really enjoyable and ample. Very social atmosphere, communal computers and air conditioning included. Music tends to go fairly late and can be slightly disruptive if you are needing an early night, however on the whole we loved our stay here and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Arrived at the hostel in late July with my brother from Kuala Lumpur. We headed to the hostel via a taxi and when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. From the outside the hostel looked really cool, chilled and modern. Check in was a breeze, the guy on reception was very helpful and knowledgeable.
On the way to the rooms there is a serious looking security door for access to the common room and bedrooms. So you don't have to worry about the dodgy people slipping in. The common room was equipped with a decent flat screen with access to loads of channels as well as two free to use computers.
The bedrooms themselves were just as impressive, cubicle style with a curtain for added privacy and a mirrored cupboard to store your stuff. And as for the beds, best night sleep I've had in a while. Showers and toilets all clean tidy, not much to say about them.
Breakfast included was a nice addition as it was something other than toast, which is usually the standard for most hostels. Overall an excellent stay, would highly recommend if you were staying in Penang/Georgetown.

Room Tip: Any room, they're all good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends