All reviews il bacaro nespresso machine iced tea sari room opium room rose room boutique hotel yogurt rooftop terrace within walking distance first floor breakfast was delicious little touches no lift turn down service home away from home your luggage
Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

This is a beautifully restored series of colonial shop houses with lots of lovely wooden floors and furniture. When I checked in there seemed to be considerable and unnecessary confusion about my booking but eventually I was shown to my room. It was nice but a little too compact for comfort. Also it was t the top of the stairs and you could hear everything that was going on in the reception area. The floorboards in the room above squeaked so the room was noisy.

Breakfast was good but being a la carte you get what you are given - I would have preferred some choice in my fresh fruit and the type of toast with my eggs. Next time I will ask!

The location is good; very central but off the main road so traffic noise is not a problem.

Trip type: Traveled solo
CAMPBELLHSE, Front Office Manager at Campbell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2018

Dear swanstonanthony,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to send our sincere apologies for the confusion of your reservation during your arrival. We are sorry to hear that you felt too compact on your room, as you booked Blossom-which is our smallest room as stated in Room Description, we assumed that you are aware of its size. If you could have told us and we have known earlier that you do not feel comfortable of your room, we wont hesitate to arrange another room for you. We do serve a wide variety of A'la Carte for breakfast and I'm glad that you like it - our chefs would be glad to serve you the best, and please do not hesitate to let us know should you wish to have your type of toast.

Thank you for your time writing a review and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Penang!

Reviewed September 13, 2018

Though our room - Blossom is pretty small and compact, but we had a pleasant stay. We would opt for bigger room in future when we return. Luxurious stay with homely feel. Staffs were awesome. We checked- in late at night around 2 am. and security guard helped us to our room by skipping through the check-in process. Told us that we could do the checking-in & registration the next day morning since it's late. Just make sure you notify the hotel days in advance in your bookings about your late arrival. Each of the floor uses solid wooden plank instead of the vinyl floorings so it's comfy to walk on but expect the sound of plank when people walking by the next morning. Breakfast menu was perfect and wholesome. The only thing to pick about was the room window. Our room has a window but it was unable to look out, could only hear soft noise outside. Morning sun will get into the room but it was ok.

Love the toiletries provided in the shower room. Ingredients are organic & essential oil. Provides ironing service as well. Love the nespresso coffee machine provided in the room.
Hotel is strategically located, with many old shops around like traditional bakeries, dimsum cafes. Street food eateries are about 8 mins walking distant but nothing much to rave about the street food eateries as they are pretty much commercialised and filled with tourists, prices are high and not very authentic anymore (coming from a malaysians). Shop close early around and no late night eateries around unless you walk out further.

always look forward to the next day morning to their breakfast. believe they served awesome dinner as well which we will try the next time.

Room tip: opt for other rooms, Blossom could be compact for some poeple
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
CAMPBELLHSE, Front Office Manager at Campbell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2018

Dear Chan C,

Thank you for your time to write and share your stay experience. It was wonderful having you here and we are glad to know that you enjoyed the service of the Campbell House family has rendered. We are glad that to have you here in our home and enjoyed our location in the heart of Georgetown with walking distance to the interesting places . It is our passion to strive in offering satisfactory service to our valued guest.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to Penang.

Sharifah & Campbell House Family

Reviewed September 12, 2018

I recently stayed for 5 nights in the Colonial Room. This was a beautiful room with quality fittings and the best bed and pillows - I have never been able to sleep better.The room is quite large as is the bathroom. The rain shower was simply fantastic after a day walking around Georgetown. Breakfast in Il Bacaro was excellent with an a la carte menu covering most peoples' needs. The location is very central and I walked to most places and I found Georgetown very easy to navigate.
Now the best part was the staff. From the Front Office, restaurant and housekeeping, all were exceptional. Special thanks to Vanessa (the Front Office Manager), who was so helpful with general assistance and travel advice and Tom in the restaurant. Staff like these people make travel so much easier.
The only negative in my visit was the wi-fi which i found to be slow and I couldn't run some of the applications on my laptop.
I will be back in Penang in the first half of 2019 and will definately stay here again.

Dear Alan,

It's good to hear from you! thank you for a wonderful review and its a pleasure having you here at Campbell House. I will be sharing your review to my colleagues and sure they'll feel happy with your compliments. Apologies for the slow-internet, as our server is having an upgrade and it sometimes affect the connection.

We can't wait to pamper you again on your next visit to Penang, see you soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Campbell House is Centrally Located. Everything is basically walking distance. Lots of food choices.

Check In was fast and friendly. Commendation to Vanessa who did an excellent Job of explaining what to see and where to eat in Penang.

Loved how they bring up the bags to the room! I got the Loft Room and it was just beautiful. Bed was comfortable as well az the Sofa downstairs. My only disappointment with the room is the lack of bidet.

It was overall a beautiful stay. It would have been a perfect stay if not for the breakfast. We informed that we would be leaving early upon check in and it was duly noted in the system. Upon returning around 8pm i also informed the staff on duty of our early departure. I thought that they would just give the breakfast upon checkout but checkout came and the breakfast was eventually forgotten.

The staff on duty did say sorry for it.

Date of Stay: September 8-9,2018

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank KingRegis
CAMPBELLHSE, Front Office Manager at Campbell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

Dear KingRegis,

It's good to hear from you again! I'm glad that you loved our Loft room and our unique pulley system. Our location in the heart of Georgetown is indeed a walking distance to lots of places of interests here in town. I hope that the recommendations we have given helped you on your quick tour to our Heritage area and taste the local delicacy around the town.

Thank you for the mention and for remembering my name, and we would like to send our sincere apologies for the missed box breakfast.

We look forward to pampering you again on your next trip to Penang, wishing you have a safe travels!

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Campbell House deserves its reputation as one of the top 2 or 2 places to stay in Georgetown. The staff were just fantastic .
The reading room has a good selection of DVD's to vie win your room - never had that anywhere I have stayed yet. Lovely home made lemonade replenished every day. Nice a la carte breakfast selection at the Bacaro restaurant on the ground floor.
Bathroom top quality and great towels.
Manager super helpful and attentive.
Will stay here again for certain.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
CAMPBELLHSE, Front Office Manager at Campbell House, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2018

Dear Andrew H,

Thank you choosing Campbell House and for giving us time writing a review. It's wonderful to read your compliments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and loved the fresh drinks we provide on your room. You are always welcome to our lovely home.

See you again on your next trip to Penang!