“Simply the best”
Review of Campbell House

Campbell House
Ranked #1 of 176 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2013

To start with I would like to say that I would visit Penang again just so I could stay here, it was that good.
Check in went very smoothly and as we arrived at lunch time we were given a map with recommendations of where to go for lunch, and they were spot on with the Indian being one of the best we have had.
Campbell House has been restored exceptionally well, with great thought into retaining the feel for the original building and enhancing the architecture.
We stayed in the Colonial Suite which was beautiful and right next door to the lovely outdoor rooftop terrace, great for a Mojito at the end of the day.
Nardya, Roberto and all of the staff at Campbell House are really what makes this place perfect, they are so helpful and genuine and obviously have great pride in Georgetown and Penang.
We were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary while we stayed there and Nardya was fantastic at organising a private boat trip at the 24th hour which was fabulous, we were taken out to a lovely seafood restaurant on a little island. The restaurant was only too happy to supply us with a great bottle of bubbly to take with us and Nardya had told the Captain it was our Anniversary so he had bought along some champagne flutes for us.
We wanted to go somewhere special for our Anniversary dinner and Nardya booked us into Via Pre for appertifs and starter (even though they have an onsite restaurant she was more than happy with recommending other places) and then into Kebaya for our main course. We were thrilled with both places, and Nardya had informed them it was a special evening so we were treated like royalty. Really thanks to her it made for a perfect evening.
The breakfast at their in house restaurant Il Bacaro were so good, I love the fact that you get to order your food which means it is hot and fresh when you get it. Eggs benedict were some of the best I have ever had!!
Every evening we would go downstairs for a drink at the restaurant before heading out for the night, it was great and the staff so lovely.
On our last night we decided we would stay in and eat at the restaurant and boy are we glad we did, the chef (Roberto's brother), although his English was not that great and our Italian was non existent, made some great recommendations and I must say that my lamb chops were cooked to perfection and my salad was to die for! My husbands food was just as good and coupled with a good bottle of red it was a great end to a magnificent visit.
We both rate Campbell House up there as one of the best places we have stayed on our travels and I would highly recommend it.
We are hoping that Nardya and Roberto open up another place in Italy just so we can go and stay with them!!
Thank you all so much.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mirikiwi

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel certainly deserves all the rave reviews it receives. We spent 3 days in Penang, and stayed in the Indochine Room. The room was beautifully decorated, quiet and spacious, with very comfortable beds. The extra touches really added to my enjoyment of the stay - iced tea and plenty of water in the fridge, the coffee machine, the flowers which one of the staff put in the bathroom when i commented on the amazing aroma of the flowers she was carrying, the bathroom toiletries which were so lovely I bought myself an extra set ... I had the complimentary breakfast every morning - fresh fruit, croisssants and bread, yoghurt with fruit, as well as the cooked dish (there's a wide choice of Western style breakfast dishes, including my favourite, eggs benedict) - and that kept me going all day.We enjoyed cocktails on the terrace one evening and since we had a late check out were able to sit in the comfortable lounge/library until our taxi arrived. The owners and all the staff were friendly and helpful and really made the hotel a welcoming place to stay. The hotel is also well located, close to all the sights. The nearby dumpling cafe was excellent too, with the best egg custard tarts I've every had.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sally P
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Deciding to just get away from busy Kuala Lumpur over the weekend, and to laze around and eat hawker food in Georgetown, I turn to my trusted Tripadvisor for advice! There you will find Campbell House rated No.1!

Curious, I booked a night to just check Campbell House out! First and foremost, the location is just fabulous! It’s near everywhere. Name it, you shall have it: The wet market, dimsum house, restaurants, pubs, hawkers, medicine hall, gold smith, etc.!

Upon arrival, our ol’ reliable and forever helpful Kumar jumps up to greet you with a BIG smile while the waiter serve you a large class of in-house brewed fresh iced-lemon tea knowing the 35’ Celsius outside.

Kumar, the receptionist also the porter took out luggage to our room but first we have to leave our footwear downstairs. We climbed on the wooden staircase to pass the well decorated, beautiful and peaceful study area on the 1st floor. Upon going up the corner of the staircase, a huge Chinese vase was between our room and us. Kumar opened the 2-panel door and there we landed in the past.

Our room was very delicately decorated with classical oriental taste. From the bed, bedding, table lamps, ceiling fans, bathtubs through windowpanes. It is tastefully decorated!

Although there were countless tourist attraction sites within walking distance and free shuttle buses offered, we spent our time exploring within the radius of 1km and returned to enjoy the comfort of Campbell House. We slept-in while enjoying a soak in the bathtub, DVDs, WIFI, in-house coffee machine, generous jug of iced lemon tea in the mini bar, and a surprised daily sweet treat in the evening after dinner in the room.

If you are looking to experience a boutique hotel with a personal touch of taste, Campbell House may be just the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KEVIN T
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this gorgeous place and loved every minute of it. The rooms are wonderful and the service a joy. My husband stubbed his toe (which I'm sure is not unusual in Georgetown) and 2 of the very sweet Philippino housemaids insisted they clean and bandage his little injury for him. We really enjoyed the breakfasts and ate one evening in the Italian restaurant which was great. The Campbell is an ideal location to all the wonderful exotic Penang food and historic areas. Definitely a 5 star stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaxineED
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just a charming unique hotel central to many of the tourist attractions in Georgetown. Fabulously located amongst the busy historic streets. If you enjoy walking and exploring the culture, this gem is perfect!
The Sari Room on the first floor has a cute balcony overlooking the street life. Although on a busy corner, the windows are double glazed with thick drapes to minimise noise although this to me if part of the experience of inner city living. Great comfy bed, coffee machine and nice touches like cake at night make this place adorable.
Dinner at the on site Restaurant was excellent quality and very reasonably priced.
The breakfast was delicious with freshly squeezed juice, coffee and a variety of the usual breakfast dishes even though the food did take quite a time to arrive.
Of course, the staff are priceless and just go above and beyond your expectations.
The fabulous hosts Nadya and Roberto make you welcome into their home. They have created a unique atmosphere and I would definitely revisit.

Room Tip: The Sari Room if you like a balcony to view the local street life.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BaliGalSydney
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We made the mistake of spending only one night at this hotel and two at a resort in Batu Ferringhi on our recent short break in Georgetown. In hindsight, we should have taken a day trip to the "beach" and spent all three nights here in Campbell House.

Service was faultless - from the initial overview of attractions the friendly concierge gave us on check-in, through to the turndown service and complimentary cake we found in our room when returning from an afternoon exploring.

We stayed in the "Blossom" room, which is immediately off the landing on the first floor, above the reception and with large street-facing windows. I barely heard a noise through the beautiful stained glass windows and wooden slats and slept soundly on the 'just right' bed with 'just right' pillows. My husband and I did find some amusement in the glass wall to the bathroom, but a second wall does afford privacy from the sleeping area of the room itself.

Breakfast, included in the rate, is plentiful, with Nespresso machines in the rooms also. It was pleasant to indulge in this manner, while reading one of the many guidebooks available from the library which is also found on the first floor.

Location-wise, we walked to most attractions in Georgetown. It is only a few blocks from the Clan Jetties, which themselves are only a few blocks from Fort Cornwallis and the old colonial areas.

A great stay!

Room Tip: Beautiful stained glass in 'Blossom' adds to the charm.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmeliaMx
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our second tie with Nardya's and her team, we loved visiting the first time, and even better the second... They remembered I drank decaf coffee and preferred hard pillows!
I really appreciate both their attention to detail, as well as the great location surrounded by great food
(Sorry I gave them 5 stars for fitness centre... Live on the top floor)

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic, second floor are cooler, no need for Aircon, ceiling fan is ok
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends