“It is worth traveling to Penang just to stay at this hotel.”
Review of Campbell House

Campbell House
Ranked #1 of 169 George Town B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“It is worth traveling to Penang just to stay at this hotel.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I am not kidding. It really would be worth your time to travel (I am from NYC so it takes me 20-24 hours to get to Penang) to Georgetown just to stay in this hotel. The hotel itself is gorgeous - so comfortable, renovated in the most tasteful way, beautifully decorated with antiques and beautiful works of art, altogether unique and charming. The rooms are large and lovely, each with its own character (but not in the sense of a tacky "themed room" B&B). There is a very peaceful library area available to all guests. However, although the hotel is really marvelous, the best part of the place is the owners! The owners themselves are always available - the Mrs running the hotel and the Mr running the in-house Italian (he is from Italy) restaurant. They are utterly charming and you'll want to pack them up and bring them home with you. They helped us with maps, advice and all the details we needed. They are --- fantastic!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Elena S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Somewhere else
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was at Campbell House for only one night and had such a lovely time there. I would hurry back! Service is a dream, location is great, food and shopping tips excellent. Bed was super comfortable and room very dark so had a wonderful nights sleep as well as being fantastically looked after by all the staff and owners.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Subtle, tasteful wonderfully nuanced restoration, delightful owners, spacious, very comfortable suitesGreat location in Chinatown bordering little India. I did a tour of all the other so-called "heritage" hotels, and this one is the most comfortable. For the price, it is great value. The bed was h-e-a-v-e-n and I loved the homemade iced lemon tea and fresh milk in the bar fridge. The rooftop garden was delightful, first floor sitting area, even the luggage pulley system - all of these provided moments of wonder. I didn't try the breakfast as I was keen to enjoy the hawker food at the bustling Chinese market a couple of streets away. The owners are wonderful hosts. Basically, what's not to like?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We loved our experience at the Campbell House last month.
The lovely couple Nardya and Roberto gave us a warm welcome and the house is very beautiful.
We enjoyed our room a lot, it was called the "loft" on the top floor. All details are beautifully crafted. They even have essential oils in the bathroom.
Amazing breakfast all fresh, home made and abundant.
We're looking forward to go back there very soon!!

1 Thank andreep515
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Over the past thirty years or so I have stayed at a range of hotels from Air Asia’s Tune to The E&O but my new number one has to be Campbell House set in the middle of the old heritage part of Georgetown. From the moment of arrival I received warm and friendly service from mine hosts Nardya and Roberto, this friendliness and good service extended throughout all their staff. The hotel was built in 1903 and has been sympathetically restored and modernized retaining many of the original features like the thick walls, good for soundproofing but bad for Wi-Fi which was free but I could only get a reliable signal in the library,

The air conditioned and fan cooled bed room was large, clean and tastefully furnished with period style furniture and a very comfortable bed. I was in the Peacock Room on the first floor, please note no lift. Although the windows were double glazed at times there was still noise from the street below. A tea and coffee making machine was in the room along with a fridge containing milk, water and juice which were topped up as used. Each evening there was a turn down service along with a little treat left in the fridge.

The bathroom had modern fittings and a large walk in shower. Fluffy towels and bath robes were supplied along with organic soaps and shampoos.

A substantial breakfast including a cooked selection served in the Il Bacaro Restaurant on the ground floor was included in the rate. I also had dinner on several evenings at Il Bacaro which generally served food with an Italian leaning, reasonably priced with mains ranging MYR20 – 40, Italian wine by the glass with bottles from MYR90++

As you may have gathered I enjoyed my stay at Campbell House and can say no higher than I would stay there again when in Penang.

2 Thank waiheke
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The journey of a vacation starts from the moment you research and engage with the vendors whom you have never met before.
Well for me, I was planning a best friend's birthday and I chanced upon the Campbell House and a couple of other boutique Hotels as well. I wanted a different experience in the Heritage Town of Penang and for a change, I wanted us to experience a boutique hotel versus the big global brands...
I contacted several Boutique establishments, but the one that stood out from the rest from a serviceability stand point was the Campbell House- Nardya.
That aside, I read the reviews and it was always top plus I wanted to be in a central location where we could get to places to eat on foot.
Finally about almost 1/2yr of booking in advanced. We got ourselves to the Campbell House with a surprise that I pre-arranged with Nardya for my best friend Loretta.

The moment we entered the doors...we were warmly greeted by Daniel Stuart- The Hotel Manager and we were asked by another staff (Pushpa) what we will like for our welcome drinks! Now that's really nice after a couple of hours of travel...

The check in was super smooth...and Daniel was just amazing and honest in his recommendations on what he liked and what he wouldn’t recommend (Based on our initial research)....we took all his advice and went with planning for the rest of our stay at the Campbell and that worked out perfectly well.
Daniel also gave us a little surprise that Loretta's room was upgraded. Now- That's a really lovely gesture from Nardya! It made us all so happy!!!. Thank you!
But what awaited us next was indeed a lovely surprise. Daniel patiently took us through the on-boarding, explaining the where's and what....and when we got to "The Songket" room.....wow! The girls inside the rooms sprang up and sang " Happy Birthday"....it was just so sweet!!!!! Made us all so happy...and surely very much for Loretta as well!

The whole set up at the Campbell House is nothing short of a little antique museum...I love all the personal touch that went into making this a "home away from home" (My home is filled with lots of antiques as well and yet has the modern facilities of a comfortable home with the latest technology) and talking about that. There was an ipod deck, a flat screen TV and a Nespresso Machine (with capsules of course) and most wonderfully, chilled lemon tea in the Mini Bar!! To top that off.....every day, we had little surprises on local snacks/ Pastries and of a Rain shower…which just cools you off in that rush of water….
I basically just love the little details that speaks volume of the dedication that the owners go into making this a brand and experience for all who stay at their property memorable and unique!

Breakfast was nice that it started late from 8.30am which left us time to sleep in and ended only at 12noon! Now most restaurants would have ended by 10am. Though I do wish that we had an option with the Room package with /without breakfast. What was really a good start to the morning was the delicately peeled fresh fruits and a wholesome coffee or perky fresh juice to kick start the day.

Campbell House is also very strategically located in Georgetown. We could easily get accessed to just about everything for our food fix. I mean great quality local food-which is also one of the reasons that we came to Penang. This saved us some taxi fares and also made the experience much more welcoming…than struggling to get a cab and wasting time getting caught in traffic.
Time really passed so quickly ….after 3 nights, we were heading home…

Next time when we visit, hopefully, we will have a pair of bedroom slippers as the wooden floors can get pretty cold in the night to walk around barefoot and possibly a latch from within the rooms as we had the chamber maids walk right into the SongKet Room while we were inside on the beds…

Else, this is a perfect Haven for couples to chill out and relax with the great hospitality and set up at the Campbell House! Thank you for all the arrangements! We’ll be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors (High Room Categories may be less noisy in the mornings. We do hear the Motorbicycle...
3 Thank Kiznicolenigel
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed 2 nights this week at Campbell House. Located in the middle of old town, the location couldn't be better. Many of the delicious street eats are within walking distance. Owners Nardya and Roberto did an amazing job refurbishing this old hotel. They kept many charming characteristics (i.e old wooden beams) and put in lots for modern comfort. We had the Songket room on the second floor. Though it's right next to the street, we are well insulated from the street noise by the double windows. Loved the comfy bed and pillows, antique style furniture, fluffy and clean white towels, Nespresso machine and natural bath products. Didn't like the tacky bed side tables. Bathroom decor is ok but nothing to shout about. It's lovely to have homemade ice lemon tea, little snacks and ice water ready in the fridge when we came back after a long day. Well done! There are only 5 international channels on TV but there are some DVDs and magazines/ books that we could borrow from the sitting area on the second floor (too warm though to hang around). Nardya took pain to help us plan our itinerary, book taxi and made sure we are well taken care of. Services are great! Breakfast is ala carte. Loved the fresh juide, fruits platter and warm bread basket. Cooked food was so so though. Friend didn't like the Welch Rarebit (stale bread). My Enggs Florentine could be perfect if the spinach wasn't so overcooked. Rates are not low (RM 450/night), but I would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends