“Best salad in town !”

Ranked #120 of 986 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: 55 cafe & Restaurant offers a mediterranean inspired cuisine in an informal setting. The menu features a variety of light, tasty dishes like pastas, tapas and salads. To finish off your meal, have a cup of gourmet coffee and choose from a delectable selection of mouthwatering desserts. 55 Cafe & Restaurant is part of COFFEE ATELIER, a collection of five beautifully restored early 20th century "shophouses". Today this building houses a restaurant, a coffee museum, an art gallery and suites which are fully appointed with all modern amenities for short or long term stay.
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I didn't stay at this cute hotel but did enjoy a great Siciliana pasta and a house special salad , delicious! The cafe sits above a busy corner and watching the passing life was a treat . The german owner was friendly and helpful . Recommend happily.

Stefan G, Manager at 55 Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! Hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Enjoyed a great breakfast here, with fresh juice and the best coffee I had during my visit to Georgetown.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

As it sits just around the corner from my room, I had passed by several times on my way to other places and every single time it appealed to me.

In the early evening it was warmly lit, full of happy people with large, full glasses of red wine-- Bessie Smith playing on the radio; but all those white faces in a town full of light to medium brown complexions! I just couldn't go in, notwithstanding my growing desire for glass of red and to hear the sound of English being effortlessly spoken. Entering would be a sort of defeat, right? I am, afterall here to experience things outside of my comfort zone, not to surround myself with the imported west. I mean, I know what to expect in a place like this and those expectations along with their fulfilment constitute culture. Ultimately, I was weak; on my way by, I found myself walking in, just to have a look; sitting down, merely for a glass of wine; ordering dinner, for the sake of not being rude; and having dessert for, well, why not have some dessert?

If you are considering this place, you'll be happy to know that the illusion of home is perfectly affected; you could be someplace in Europe, in Chicago or New York. The by-the-glass red selection could have been better, but I have absolutely no complaints with the Cabernet I ended up with; it paired exceptionally well with the charred eggplant in my delightful vegetarian pasta. The service was also quite competent (and if you'be done any traveling in SE Asia, you know how rare that is).

Were my western upbringing a drug, I have solidly had my semi-montly fix. And although I hate to admit it, I'll almost certainly be back.

3  Thank Jonathan N
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were truly disgusted by the attitude of who seems like the owner of the café restaurant, who rushed out to greet and served a foreigner couple sitted just next to us, but completely ignored us, with not even a simple greeting when we arrived, and not a thanks at all when we left. This attitude is unfortunately true of many service staff locally, who practices preferential treatment for foreigners who are deemed to have higher spending power over locals.

For the price range of the food offered here, we were expecting a reasonably good dining experience, but was fairly disappointed with what we got. A place who calls itself a coffee atelier would not serve a latte than by the look of it is way too milky, but that was exactly what we got. The ‘lemon surprise’ cake was also another disappointing ‘surprise’, with its hard texture, indicating that it was not fresh.

1  Thank heartpatrick
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My Penang friend recommended this restaurant to us.

It was a little hard to find as it is hidden behind a main street, but I was so glad that I found it.

The restaurant is very small, but it wasn't crowded when we were there for lunch during the weekend. We had tapas (based on recommendation by the owner) - high quality bacon with mashed pear (if I recalled correctly), Japanese grilled salmon & roast chicken.

Every single dish turned out superb! Coffee was also very good (as expected from the name of the place). It is a wonder how the chef managed to churn out such fantastic (and diverse) dishes given that the place is so tiny.

This meal turned out to be one of my most memorable experiences in Penang. Would definitely go back again if I were to make another trip to Penang in the future.