“Malaysia does coffee right.”

Old Town White Coffee
Ranked #16 of 42 Coffee & Tea in George Town
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Shenzhen, China
“Malaysia does coffee right.”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

While in Penang, a visit to Old Town White Coffee is always a good idea. A relaxing place to enjoy a cup and sampling something from the menu is a nice addition.

Admittedly, I went for the coffee as I am a coffee junkie, but I do still like checking out the menu as well. I basically snacked a little, but enjoyed everything I had, which was a couple of small pieces of cake.

The staff was very courteous and very quick with service. I can say that the service I had throughout Penang met a very high standard.

• Visited January 2014

• Thai first
Brisbane
“Milk Tea was excellent”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Old Town is a chain of restaurants with many branches all over Malaysia (www.oldtown.com.my). At the end of this recent trip to Penang, I happened to try Old Town at Penang Airport because I avoid the global fast food giants like McDonalds and KFC at all cost.
My cousin ordered the Ipoh Chicken Hor Fun, Kaya Toast and White Milk Tea for me. I was pleasantly surprised. The hor fun was silky smooth and soft, and the soup very tasty (8 out of 10). For some, it might not have been authentic Ipoh noodles, but I was eating something really tasty and memorable! The tea was really old school, the same stuff I grew up on as a kid (my parents didn't care about caffeine back then). The kaya toast was nothing great.
During our transit through the LCCT in Kuala Lumpur, the kids were hungry, so we walked into the Old Town. I had the Nasi Lemak (6 out of 10), and the kids had the Ipoh Hor Fun. When I finished what they couldn't eat, I discovered a difference in the taste and, to be honest, it didn't look the same too.
You pay a little more at Old Town, but the ambience is good and welcoming and, at both branches, they did have a lot of staff so service was quick and the restaurant clean. Would I visit again? I would... on a day my stomach feels like something safe.

• Visited January 2014
Carlsbad, California
“Nice chain restaurant”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Old Town White Coffee (not to be confused with GeorgeTown White Coffee or Penang White Coffee) is a chain of casual restaurants with locations throughout southeast Asia.

This review is about the location in the Whiteaways Arcade. I had the Hainanese Chicken Rice, which was pretty good, but nothing special. The service was not particularly good nor particularly friendly.

Probably the best thing about Old Town White Coffee is its consistency from location to location. The restaurants and are clean and comfortable.

• Visited December 2013
Manila, Philippines
“A taste of Penang”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My Penangite friend said I had to try Nasi Goreng so I did... we ordered different items on the menu so we could taste each. We also ordered Asam Laksa. I loved their milk tea! It neutralizes the spiciness of what I was eating. Prices were quite affordable. The place is clean and it had a very nice ambiance.

• Visited August 2013
Islamabad, Pakistan
“Fabulous Malay food”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were staying in a hotel next to the 1 st Avenue Mall. We asked the reception for a place to have good Malay food, dessert and coffee and they reccomended the place. We thoroughly enjoyed whatever ordered. The Ice Kachang / Gola Melaka was excellent. After enjoying our meal we visited this place 3 more times to try the other dishes on the menu and each one was a hit. Sitting in the cool mall was a better choice than a road side ( maybe more authentic Malay food) eatery. The staff was extremely friendly and pleasant.

• Visited August 2013