All reviews shared bathroom attached bathroom the ground floor deluxe double room walking distance budget hotel the hotel is clean family room nice stay standard room hotel is located cendol stayed for nights street art strategic location heritage area street food
Selected filters
Reviewed June 17, 2019 via mobile

One of the male house keepers came into my room with his keycard while I was naked about to get in the shower. He knocked and as I got up to grab my towel (I assumed it was my girlfriend returning from the bathroom) I heard the sound of a keycard opening the door (it was about 7pm). He opened the door as I was stood completely naked! I had to literally slam the door in his face. I personally am not super upset by this but had this been my girlfriend we would be making a very serious complaint. This lack of security is very worrying. There was not a ‘do not disturb sign’ available for the door and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not expect housekeeping to burst into my room at 7pm. There is also not a locker in the room so adds to the worry of valuables with staff seemingly going in and out of your room at every hour of the day.

Imagine the potential serious repercussions had this been a woman of conservative religion.

Side note; the rooms were dirty and the toilets were grim. I’m pretty sure people in other buildings can see you shower through the open ventilation in bathroom walls.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2019

I travel very often and usually stay in 5 star hotels but this time wanted to stay in a boutique hotel to see the difference and wa very pleasantly surprised. The small hotel was superbly clean and very beautiful. Very pleasant and nice reception very comfortable beds and pillows and very clean. Really very good value for money. Will certainly stay again.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

The room looks nothing like the pictures and is not that bright. We had several problems with the the room and had to move three times. The first room we had to move from because the curtain was broken and the window wouldn’t shut letting a lot of bugs in. The second room none of the sockets worked so we couldn’t charge are phones. The third room we had ants in it. Staff didn’t care that much and wouldn’t stay again, were going back to Penang and staying somewhere else.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

Entering the driveway of Chulia Heritage Hotel, you will see a lovely all white façade which has an understated elegance. The lobby is simple, straightforward and small. One will find gold lamps, framed pictures and strategically placed chairs.

The check-in process was fast and efficient. Guests have to pay additional taxes as the hotel is located in UNESCO Heritage Site, atleast that’s how I understand it after paying RM36 (approx. USD9) for 3 nights stay. They will also collect RM59 (approx. USD12) for hotel deposit which will be refunded after check out.

We booked a standard room and we were given a room on the 1st floor just behind the check-in counter. The room is okay. The beddings could use an upgrade such as new pillows and covers. The room could use wall hooks for clothes and a safe box. Wifi is slow and could definitely use an upgrade.

The location of the hotel is top notch. Within walking distance of a 7-11, restaurants, hawker stalls and 1st Avenue shopping mall. They also have bicycles which hotel guests could use for free, however a safety deposit of RM50 per bike is required.

The stay experience is good overall and with its location, I will definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2019
1  Thank DefinitelyNotLikeYou
Reviewed January 9, 2019 via mobile

This is my second time in this hotel, lovely place, great location, i love this hotel because is not too expensive, great for the backpacker traveller like me. I want to highlight “NATASHA” from the lobby reception, she’s so very helpful and accommodating, she’s very kind person.. i want to give 5star service for her.. keep it up!!

Date of stay: January 2019