“Too many participants”

Nazlina Spice Station
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Nazlina's cooking classes are held at Nazlina Spice Station daily except on Sundays. The market tour covers both Campbell Street market and Chow Rasta market. Nazlina conducts the cooking classes while her partner Peter conducts the market tour. As market tour is only available in the morning, people who opt for the afternoon class may join the morning tour and then come later for the afternoon cooking session. Please wear comfortable clothing and footwear. Hats and sunglasses are recommended. Bring umbrellas or water proof jackets if it rains. During reservation, please advise any dietary requirements or allergy if applicable. Rate is RM225.00 Per person (AM class) and RM180.00 per person for the afternoon class (without breakfast or market tour). Please note that only clients who paid for the experience are allowed to join the market tour and the cooking class to be fair to other full paying clients. Nazlina has been featured in New York Times' 36 Hours in Penang, on the BBC good food channel, as well as several in-flight magazines. She built the business single-handedly, starting with renting out garden spaces to hold her classes and now the proud owner of a 100 year old shophouse in the heart of the heritage zone in George Town. All equipment in the cooking area are of the best quality such as German made stainless steel pots, steamers, pans and woks. Knives are sharpened by our local knife sharpener at the market. Partners or friends who wish to join for breakfast as well as the market tour and later for lunch that cooking class students made can do so at an additional cost of RM50 per person. These options can be requested in advance when you make your reservation. Deadline for booking is at 8pm before the day, or 12 noon for the afternoon class. We would appreciate if you observe this deadline and book ahead so that it is easier for us to plan the logistics. Thank you.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A bit two speed this class. The trip around the various markets was very good and educational if at times hard to fully be involved as the class consisted of about 18 people. Even worse was the actual preparation of food as groups were assigned this or that task and thus had no way of being involved in the overall process to gain any real understanding of how to prepare the dishes.
Food turned out ok though.
Pity the overall experience was ordinary as Nazlina is both personable and very knowledgeable - it could and should have been much better.

2  Thank Vaughanus

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was the highlight of my trip! Nazilna's studio is based in a beautiful heritage Lane in a really old Malay style house. I really like that Nazilna was really flexible with the menu, and let me have input into what we cooked. Nazilna is a really friendly, outgoing person and made the cooking course really enjoyable.Nazilna really likes to teach students about malaysian spices and cooking. The best part was the food was amazing! Thoroughly recommend doing a course, I just wish I had time to do a second course with her. Definitely buy the recipe cards.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We began the tour at 730 am outside the local wet market with a quick breakfast of rotis and teh tarik before setting off to explore the markets. Nazlina is a very knowledgeable chef and a charming hostess; she even purchased some durian for us to try at the end of our meal upon learning that 3 of the 4 people on the tour had never tried it before. We then proceeded to another market for some fresh produce and ended up at her quaint shop to prep the ingredients. We had asked before booking the tour if she would be able to accomodate vegetarians. She said yes and so we made Potato Curry Capitan (modified to exclude shirmp paste) and Chicken Curry Kapitan and picked vegetables (Achar). I loved the fact that she was so flexible and accomodative of our request to learn traditional cooking and willing to modify her recipie to suit dietary restrictions. It was an absolutely wonderful experience working with all the spices and putting it all together to create an absolutely delicious meal. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a taste of the local flavor.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I booked a spot on Nazlina's Wednesday morning session just the afternoon before (I'd just arrived on the island and had browsed TA for things to do while here.) She texted me to confirm she had space, which was great, and at 7:30 the following morning I arrived at the E&O hotel (which is stunning) to start the class. There were seven of us students in total and our first stop was an Indian breakfast - roti canai (I had banana in mine, yum!) and watermelon juice; then an excellent tour of several wet and dry markets in Georgetown to buy the ingredients we needed for our two dishes. Then we headed back to the hotel to cook up a storm, Nazlina quickly handing out tasks to everyone, so we were all involved. I managed to drop an egg while getting all the ingredients out - sorry everyone! - but we didn't go short, thankfully. The food was delicious - we made a laksa with noodles, and a chicken curry (I can't recall the name now), and we were all pretty full - I didn't eat for the rest of the day! The setting was beautiful, the group all mixed and good fun (perfect for me, a solo female traveller), the tours interesting and informative, and Nazlina was a wonderful host and chef. As someone else has mentioned, this really does make you appreciate the food in Penang much more, and as it's such a foodie haven, it's well worth doing. Thoroughly recommended!

3  Thank naomiam
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Initially attracted by a fantastic review in the Singapore airlines in flight magazine we thoroughly enjoyed Nazlina's cooking class. Starting off at the markets where unfamilar foods were well explained then progressing to cooking an amazing lunch in a hertitage listed building. This was a major highlight of our trip. Nazlina is happy to shed light on both cooking & life in Penang.Highly recommended experience.