Muntri Mews is a very charming boutique hotel that has a very convenient location in Georgetown. A few of the staff really take pride in what they do and also use their initiative to make the stay pleasant for guests. We were allowed to check into our room earlier around 1pm as we arrived early. Immediately after, we were served tea and biscuits/tibits in our room. Such good service was maintained throughout the rest of the trip. Each time we came back to the hotel, one of the staff would serve us a nice refreshing lemonade within seconds of our return. The room - we had suite L on the upper level was very charming. There was separate living area with a nice couch for one to read and watch TV, a very nicely done up bathroom with designer layered tiles, and the bed was always netted, to keep the mosquitos out. Each time we went out during the day, we would return to the room with it being nicely cool - the result of the staff's initiative in making sure the air-conditioning is turned on prior to our return. Though that is somewhat wasteful, it is exceptional service, considering how humid Penang can be. Kudos to the team. The food at Cafe Mews is really good, and just as good as any of the famous streetside food that we had - if you don't feel like taking a taxi out to Jalan MacAlister on a given night, Cafe Mews offers an outstanding option and it isn't even pricey. The desserts are good too, we would highly recommend the Caramelized fried Bananas with Vanilla ice-cream..
If there are any areas that could be improved upon, it would be that the L room, closest to the road, and the cafe, is a little bit noisy in the morning, making it hard for us to sleep in a bit more. Would be a good addition to have more TV channels though it wasn't critical for us. The staff were wonderful, but when they call up taxis' on behalf of guests, would be good if they can help the guests determine fair pricing. Taxis were our main frustrating point in Penang, as most of them refuse to use metered pricing despite obviously required to do so. When we left for the airport, the driver included a 8-9 Ringgit airport surcharge ( this cab used the meter and it was added on the mini-meter before being added back to final fare ) - we paid 56 ringgit to the airport, instead of the 44 we paid from the airport to the hotel. We couldn't find anything on the forums that suggest there is an airport surcharge going to the airport in the middle of the day. This is not the hotel's fault for sure, but perhaps they could help their passengers a bit more on this front, perhaps by pre-negotiating with the taxis.
All in, Muntri Mews is a very nice hotel, and you can walk around Georgetown easily. The service is generally very good, and the staff show high initiative in general, such as allowing for early check-in and late check-out, offering suggestions on where to go, etc. They are just generally very friendly as well. The rooms are very nicely maintained, and offer good space for couples especially who want to chill out. Definitely a nice place to return to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muntri Mews is affordable luxury accommodation for today flash packer located in the heart of Georgetown the UNESCO world heritage site.every room come with spacious lounge areas opening out to the Verandah upstairs or to the lush private tropical garden downstairs.Muntri street has one of the best preserved rows of townhouse residence in Malaysia. elegant expression of 19th century straits Chinese architecture, equivalent to Singapore Emerald Hill. these grand terraces invariably had mew- private stables for horse carriages, with staff quarters upstairs which then became garage for motor cars during the Edwardian Era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Muntri Mews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muntri Mews Hotel Georgetown
- Muntri Mews Penang/George Town