“Little Beauty”

Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Little Beauty”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

What made our trip stand out was the attention to detail shown by the Mews staff and management. Courteous and kind, the service experience was phenomenal. Ice cold glasses of water would be delivered to your room the minute you stepped in, and evening housekeeping service was a nice surprise. Decor was classy. Modern amenities were tastefully fused with the heritage elements. A great option in a wonderful heritage city!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Beijing, China
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I really enjoyed my time staying at Muntri Mews. The hotel's design was tasteful yet subdued. The room we stayed (downstairs) was clean, spacious and came with the Georgetown/Penang flair we were hoping to experience during our trip.

Local staffs were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is within the walking distance to many sightseeing places in Penang and street food (very important!). The neighborhood itself is full of beautiful shop houses and public art, a pretty neat area right in the heart of the World Heritage city.

I'd probably stay at Muntri Mews again if I make it back to Penang.

Queensland
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Friendly staff and lovely food - very popular with the locals and the prices are good.You can also get accommodation here and looks very clean and tidy.
The restaurant is very small and the tables soon get filled up - certainly worth a visit.

Room Tip: did not stay but enjoyed the restaurant
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at Muntri Mews with my girlfriend for two nights whilst visiting Penang for the first time. Georgetown is somewhat scruffy and chaotic, but the Muntri Mews really is a little slice of peace and calm. The rooms are spacious (we stayed in an upstairs room) and well equipped. The excellent air con will come as a particular relief as georgetown can get very hot.

Appreciated sofas in the room and satellite tv, meaning it was possible to relax at the hotel more so than generic hotels where there is nothing more than a bed and chair. The bathroom had a good rain shower and was spotlessly clean.

Food and service at the Mews Cafe were excellent, we ate dinner there on our second night and it was superb local cuisine, but there are western options, like fish and chips, that we saw locals and guests enjoying. The front desk staff were great and organised a taxi to the airport for us and booked us afternoon tea and the nearby eastern and oriental hotel.

One minor quibble is that the rooms don't have a safe. However, on the whole the hotel felt safe and was a real pleasure. We'd have liked to stay at the E&O but for a third of the price this hotel is not just better value, but probably just better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012 and this was my first time in Penang. 3 other friends also stayed here for the first 2 nights.

Great location in the 'old town' area of Georgetown, Penang island, and most attractions were within walking distance of Muntri Mews. The booking via Asia Rooms included breakfast, which was excellent (the choices ranged from the local rice dish 'nasi lemak', to eggs done any style and toast). The staff were extremely helpful in answering all our queries e.g if it was more worthwhile to take a cab or a bus to the famous food street on Gurney Drive, or how to get to Penang Hill. The rooms were very spacious and seemed larger than the usual 'cookie-cutter', bland standard hotel rooms that chain hotels tend to offer. The decor in each room evoked the Penang of old, with heavy dark woods and marble/mosaic tiles ( and e.g a four-poster bed with mosquito netting). Some of the furniture and cutlery may have even been antique (prob early to mid 20th century ?). But the modern comforts of cable TV access and WiFi were not lacking, and the rooms were well-maintained, clean and comfy. There's a long corridor with day-beds to lounge on if you ever got sick of being in your room. If you're a couple or in a group, you could have drinks downstairs at the restaurant, which also has an al fresco section and 2 tables with a bit more privacy under little canopies of sorts.

The only down-side (which was a major one for me) was the noise from the street at night, especially when I stayed in the rooms nearer the front (Rooms L, K etc). There seemed to be an incessant number of motor-bikes and cars that would rev up, race down the road, or sound their horns right outside the hotel, especially on weekend nights. However, the staff were most accommodating in allowing me to switch to a room (the apparently coveted Room H) at the back of Muntri Mews for the last 2 nights of my stay and which really allowed me to get a decent amount of R & R for this short get-away. I wouldn't mind staying here again, but with the range of accommodation options in Georgetown, I'd also be keen to check out the other boutique hotels in similarly done up heritage buildings that now seem to be all the rage in Georgetown. But I would recommend that other travellers check out Muntri Mews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for two nights but I wish it had been more. I have nothing but good things to say...a professionally run yet warm and friendly place that by far beats out anywhere I stayed during my six weeks in Asia. I had originally requested a reservation at their sister hotel Noordin Mews but they were booked. The only room Muntri Mews had available was the upstairs suite which was fantastic...a bit above my budget but it's ok to splurge now and then. They position themselves as a "flashpacker" hotel but I'd say it's more in the boutique hotel category. I'm not sure that even flashpackers are ready for this price-point and besides, there's nothing "packer" about it! Such a treat to stay here.

This place does a good job taking care of the details. The staff is extremely low profile in a good way. They know when you've left your room so as not to bother you with cleaning or turndown (they turndown the bed, close up the windows, and ready the room while you're at dinner) and do all this on your schedule, not theirs. The bathroom was immaculate. I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe and I would have happily eaten off the bathroom floor it was so clean. They bring tea when you first check in and put the pot in a fun little warmer basket in your room, and whenever you come back from a hot walk, there is someone at your door with a glass of ice water. It's the details that are well looked after that make this place a real pleasure to stay at.

The cafe is good too. I ate there a couple times and quite enjoyed the Mews Madness drink (I think that was the name). Both the restaurant and hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Without any warning to the hotel on my part, I arrived at 7:30am from the train from KL (a rough night). Even though check-in wasn't until 2pm they worked hard to ge me in my room early. Despite being fully booked they had me in my room by 9:30, which I was eternally grateful for as I desperately needed a shower and a nap.

The beds have mosquito nets (really beautiful ones) that you need to use while sleeping. I'm a mosquito magnet and somehow I still got a few bites at night. I have no idea how they got in, I inspected the net closely the next morning and couldn't find any way for them to get in. After many years of mosquito net sleeping, the trick is to turn the ceiling fan on high (which you can't feel because the net blocks the wind) but blows just hard enough to keep the mosquitoes away. I'm quite sure that during turndown service, the staff sprays the room though.

I'd happily recommend Muntri Mews and also happily stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fourroads
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

When in Penang I usually stay in E&O, this time my friends suggested Muntri Mews.
It was a good choice. So we stayed 2 nights in the start of July. We stayed in the Upstairs room,
half price of E&O, but just as good. I especially liked combination for old and new. Four-poster bed was ever so romantic :-), traditional 30s furniture with modern sofas, flat screen TVs, WIFI…
For breakfast I ordered croissant with coffee. I was expecting small plain breakfast, yummy croissant filled with salad and ham arrived :-) Staff were very nice and helpful, specially Sarah. Sorry E&O, from now on, I’m always staying in Muntri Mews :-)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends