“superb staff,great location,nice boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Penaga

Hotel Penaga
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and it was a pleasant stay, the hotel is centrally located, the staff is wonderful and very helpful. the breakfast was good but I think it was a very small spread, understanding that there are not many rooms they could have more of made to order options. there was a fault in the ac in our room which couldn't be rectified and once we told them they immediately changed our room and infact even upgraded us to the next category of rooms. I think the room is very stuffed it has too many things inside which makes it looked cramped up. the sofa especially should be removed from the rooms it is occupying good free space. the pool is very small though however we didn't use it. This hotel fits the theme of Georgetown which is that old look etc. We found that 3 days was long as there is not much to do in Penang as it can be covered in 2days. We drove from KL to Penang which was a beautiful drive. one must consider the drive rather than flying or train or any other mode of transport.

Room Tip: choose the balcony room if you don't want to face the road
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2014

• Travel group: 2 adults and 2 children.

• Booked online through their own website. Did a few comparisons and I found that their site offer the best price with 10% deposit charged. Did a last minute change to my booking got confuse by the reception and they asked me to pay the differences, but in the end they sort it out with no extra charged.
• Checking-in was fast and easy and they servers you with a smile.
• We got the Hutton Deluxe without Balcony and we love it so much. The room is very spacious, organize and clean. Love the interior of the room. The king bed is comfortable.
• I love their bathroom. They have a build-in Jacuzzi, my kids love it so much and they have a separate standing showerhead. Clean towels and basic toiletries are provided.
• The location is very strategic. Very near to the famous Teo Chew Cendol and the famous Line Clear Nasi Kandar. Walking towards the Komtar area is merely less than 10 min walks.
• Breakfast is delicious with various varieties.

Room Tip: Better bargains if booking a room with breakfast included.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank chengwc
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at 3 hotels in penang and came back to the penaga as the best value best service central,and the food great , but the staff fantastic ,my wife was ill and the staff Anne was outstanding as was all the staff thank you , would stay again and recommend to everyone ,room good ,small boutique hotel .everything we wanted

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cindy_Och, Executive at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking some time to write and share your experience with us throughout your stay.
Take care & we are looking forward to see you again.
Best regards & have a good day ahead.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

For the price paid, I have to say it was a bit of a let down.

Service was just okay. The staff were not exactly very friendly. The walkway to the hotel room looks a bit dodgy with the old carpet. The air-conditioning is not very good in my room. Spent very long to get the room cold.

The best part of this hotel is... the jacuzzi. Expected it to be better. :/

Room Tip: Pick the ones with balcony as it will be a lot quieter. The one without balcony is facing the main r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Regards to the old carpets, we are in the process of changing it this week & all the air-cons have been serviced. I hope that from your stay with us, the experience will not deterred you from staying again with us in the future.
Best regards & have a good day ahead

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at this boutique hotel with a fabulous interior design. Rooms were large and spacious with amazing bathrooms for quality in Malaysia. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay here with us.
We are definitely looking forward to see you again
Best regards & have a good day ahead

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have to be honest here, whilst I found some good points about this hotel the fact that we had a blocked toilet three times has spoilt any possible nice review I could give.
After reporting the issue early in the evening, we came back to our room at midnight to have the same problem again, the staff were quick to respond this second time, apologising and saying if it did happen again they would move us, well it did, late the following evening but as we were checking our next morning we did not bother to create another drama. I just used the general hotel toilet. I do recall reading about this problem from others also and I suppose after mentioning it politely to them at check out (to help the poor customer who would be getting this room next) I would have expected an apologetic response, but no they just smiled and said OK. On a positive the breakfast was better than other TA ratings.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yvie0202

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking some time to write your feedback with us. The management have look into it and the problem has been solved.
Our apologizes for the experience you had throughout the stay with us.
Best regards & have a good day ahead.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel lived up to my expectations of a nice boutique hotel steep in Peranakan history and culture in the design of the hotel. Every piece of furniture and decoration is authentic to its theme. It would better if the staff could be more helpful with my booking. I booked an extra bed but they gave me queen size foldable bed which is too big for my room. The staff could not offer a solution for us even when i have already paid for the booking. Got to share our bed with our son for the next 2 nights. Perhaps the hotel could get some single foldable beds. Also, there should be some kind of refund or some form of service recovery when they could not give me the extra bed. Will talk to the manager tomorrow morning.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank samtan71

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. The management have look into the issues and we will reply to you from our end.
Best regards & have a great day ahead