“I took the rejuvenation package...”
Review of Hotel Penaga

Hotel Penaga
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

... And I enjoyed it immensely!

I stayed at one of the Transfer Suites and was charmed by the decor and furnishings. The old-world-meets-contemporary design just appeals to me.

The one hour Malay massage was relaxing and just what I needed. I could've gone for another round.

The food seemed designed for a European clientele, but that's probably because you can get local fare as soon as you step out of the hotel.

While the hotel is in town, things get quiet after sundown, so the hotel was the perfect place to just relax but be a short distance away from the city centre.

If I have anything to complain, it's that I couldn't call room service directly from my phone, and that the toilet could use a little scrubbing.

But other than that, a thoroughly enjoyable stay!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Thank Noorhaina Hiraw... M
Jennifer_Lli, Manager at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. As for the other issues, the management will look into it seriously.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

It is a super nice hotel and we love it so much. The room is big, clean and well-decorated.We had a room on 2nd floor with a living room, a bath room in the middle and the bed room. We also enjoyed thee jacuzzi a lot too.
They served so good breakfast with a good view of the swimming pool. The staff is so helpful, attentive and always smile. I love all of them.
The only thing I do not like is that it is quite noisy for sleeping. We could hear clearly the noise from motorbike...outside.
However, almost everything is fine!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank minhthu-br

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We arrived early around 11am and our room was not ready which was understandable since check in time was 3pm. Reception proceeded with the registration but did not provide further information, such as the time our room would be available or the activities we could avail ourselves to in the couple of hours, after returning our passport and credit card. That would have been a much appreciated service.

Checking in to our Hutton room, we found it to be nicely decorated as per photo. As mentioned in some reviews, the tiredness and lack of attention to housekeeping of less exposed areas showed on closer examination. However, the noise that some experienced was not an issue for us.

The touch-activated bedside lamp was a nice touch. Having one switch to control both the lighting and the ventilator in the bathroom was less thought out. If we wanted to have the ventilator on (and to prevent the mozzies from flying in through the stationary blades), the lights would have to remain on. It didn’t help that the bathroom doors were stained glass and the light basically shone through to the bedroom. Not ideal for sleeping.

The breakfast was really dreadful with coffee tasting water. Regretted getting the breakfast inclusive package. Many better options just outside the hotel.

Best thing about the hotel was the location which was walking distance to most places.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges that happened during your recent stay with us. Our management will look into this matter and training programs will be conducted to rectified this issues.

We hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, the hotel will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel sometime in the near future.

Best Regards,
Jennifer

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Everything about this hotel from start to finish was a wonderful experience for us. Nothing was too much trouble.
We were blown away at our room and loved the fact that the bedroom was in the loft. I thought the little reading lights beside the bed was a nice touch also! Whilst the hotel itself is exquisite I have to say Hotel Penaga's strength is their staff. They made such a fuss of us and helped us with every question we had.
I hurt my neck and it did not go unnoticed by one of the staff who was very concerned about my well being. Then when we were leaving for our boat to Langkawi, he insisted on packing us some fruit for our journey.
I have to say, we were sad to leave. We ate in the restaurant one night and our food was cooked to perfection. The price was also very reasonable.
Thank you so much for a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LeeleeMack

Dear LeeleeMack,

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed in Hutton Suite with balcony in 2013 and in the Transfer Suite in 2014. Though the Transfer Suite is extremely large and beautiful, I still prefer the Hutton Suite with balcony because the Hutton Suite is situated in the main building, it's convenient with the reception, restaurant, library, shop in the main building and I feel safer.
Check in was fast and smooth. Though the reception area is small and lack privacy, it is adequate and beautiful. The lift to the Hutton Suite room is right beside the reception. You need to scan in your electronic key card in the lift to get into your room or alternatively walk up the stairs if you have a small light luggage. The corridor is decorated with works of art and I like the framed sketches and photos of old Penang on the wall. There is a residence for artists too in the hotel.
As I entered the Hutton Suite room, I was delighted with the beautiful artworks, antique embroidered silk on the wall, carved wooden frame mirror, beautiful Chinese cupboards, cabinets, table, chair from the Ching dynasty, modern artworks, old photos, comfortable sofa, soothing lightings in the room, the four poster bed room, the wooden floor, colonial shutters window, the balcony to the garden, the sophisticated Swiss made tropical rainforest shower head and multiple miniature shower heads with jacuzzi, and the beautiful painted Mackintosh-designed glass windows.
I find the room extremely comfortable and clean with modern TV, good quality tea coffee making facilities, toiletres, towels, bath robes, iron ironing board, specal Penang magazines. Though the garden is small, it is well designed and I could sit half of the day in the balcony reading, listening to music and watching the garden.
The king-sized bed is large and comfortable. The soft lighting is good and relaxing. It induces me to sleep peacefully. The room is very quiet because it is situated at the back of the garden and not near the main road. The staff are friendly but I think the trainees from Indonesia need some supervision, guidance and support.
Breakfast in The Cinammon is good with a small variety of Asian and Western cuisine, right next to the swimming pool. The staff are always willing to help with coffee, tea to ake you feel welcomed and comfortable.
The swimming pool is very small, lack privacy being situated right next to the restaurant where everyone can watch you while they have their breakfast or meals but it is a good attempt to put everything together in a small hotel, and te Spa is excellent. Try it! There is a shop in the hotel which sells artworks, antiques, books, souvenirs and they are useful. The prices are reasonable.

Hotel Penaga is a very good hotel. Highly recommended. I like the beautiful, clean comfortable room, the artworks, antiques, jaccuzi, the showers, the balcony, the breakfast and the friendly staff. It is relaxing to stay here. It is pricey but if you smell of money, why not treat yourself staying in Hotel Penaga. You will to be disappointed.

Room Tip: Enjoy!Book a room at the back of the garden. It is quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Yap s

Dear Yap,

Reviewed May 15, 2014

A good boutique hotel that has potential to be even better without anymore investment. The rooms are great, the beds very comfortable and staff generally nice and helpful. Wifi generally good.

Cons:

1. Restaurant service: while a full hot breakfast is included, being vegetarians we only expect juice, cereal, toast and tea. However getting suitable tea was not just a problem but impossible. As the tea served is over infused because it is sitting in a jug for ever, we requested for English Breakfast tea in a pot. Were advised it will cost an extra MYR 16 per person. Very shocking. We then asked what tea do they offer. Were told Lipton Black tea. We accepted that. However it took forever to arrive as the waiter was going back & forth discussing it. When it did finally arrive, it was over infused with loose tea powder and stained tea bags with the label handles soaking wet. It seemed used tea bags were put into powder tea that was over (cooked). I knew this was not right but had no choice but to have it.

At the end of our breakfast the waiter inquired how the breakfast. As I was very disappointed I told him that the tea was not right and that I will take up with the management. He said he agreed and would have no problem with our complaint.

The next morning we brought our own tea bags and ordered a pot of hot water. The waiter confirmed that the previous morning he used discarded tea bags as there was no stock of Black Tea. Very shocking as who knows, he may have picked them from the bin. He apologised but it was too little and too late. We had complained to the Manager the previous day but there was no compensation for the shoddy service except a worthless sorry.

2. Room lighting: The lighting in the room is inadequate and not enough to do any reading. The bedroom in the loft is fine.

3. The bedroom is upstairs, so cannot watch TV in bed.

Pros:

1. Well located for the area. Closed to many eateries including the iconic E&O Hotel where we went for our afternoon High Tea.

2. Nice small lap pool.

Will look at other options as not value for money when paying extra for a heritage experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer_Lli, Manager at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Best Regards,
Jennifer

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed in, but then I love old fashioned stuff!

We stayed in the hutton rooms which are absolutely lovely. The rooms are huge, clean, comfortable. Wood flooring, nostalgic-looking balcony with screen doors, lots of space for family to gather around the coffee table in the room to eat or chit chat. There is a jacuzzi in the bathroom, a standing shower with rain shower (LOVE THIS so much I took a shower 3 times a day lol). There is a lift to levels 2 & 3, which works very well for our elderly mom who can't climb the stairs.

The breakfast spread is minimal and average but cosy and nice. The restaurant is pretty and there is a small swimming pool beside it. I don't think anyone really swims in it during meal times because it is really just literally next to the restaurant haha.

The service standards in this hotel is the BEST I've ever experienced in Malaysia. The reception is helpful, the waiters were attentive. The staff pointed us to a nice coffee shop just 10mins walk away (Ho Ping) and the food is great.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who loves staying in a place with character, history and great service. The only mini gripe I have is that it is a bit hard to get taxis as the hotel is situated by a smaller road. But this is easily solved as the hotel can help to call.

Room Tip: I think some areas of the hotel can only be accessed by stairs. If you are travelling with someone w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank ristymisty
Jennifer_Lli, Manager at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Ristymisty's,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback and we are happy that you & your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel.