“Worth of your experience”
Review of Hotel Penaga

Hotel Penaga
Ranked #18 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked two night with different room. Each one is unique, nice decoration. I prefer those pool facing, more quite and nice little balcony for smoking. It's very good for romantic couple or lover. Jacuzzi, classical windows.....I love it, it's like I was back to early 90' experience but with current technology enjoyment.

Room Tip: pool facing and book through Trip adviser, you will enjoy savings,
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Fast check in, friendly staff. The environment was good and beautiful. Breakfast not much variety, room comes with air-conditioner and fan, not many channels on TV, big bathroom with full toiletries nice ambient inside and outside small pool located right next to restaurant was nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I chosed Penaga Hotel because of design and good reviews. Arriving, we found out we have to pay in advance, even if it was not written anywhere that (they asked for a warranty but for a non Malaysian card, they would have given the money back 3 weeks after leaving from the hotel and the sum was bigger than what we had to pay for 2 nights - aprox 50 euros bigger).

We told the person from the check in area that this is absurde as they did not announced us, it was not written on booking.com terms and conditions. The answer was they have no contract with booking.com, they do not care what booking.com writes or not, a travel agency made the contract for them with booking.com The lady at the check in area was actually yelling at us and threatened us that if we leave due to this she will still atke the money for the frst night there. She was completely rude and unwelcoming.

More then this, we asked for a room on the quite side of the hotel not on the extremly, but extremely noisy one. The hotel did not answer our request for 2 month and when we arrived there, they told us ironically that if we wanted a quite room we should have booked a more expensive one (but not possible on location).

We asked to talk to her manager and she said she was the manager, fact that would be proved to be a lie as we talked to her manager hours later. The first room was ok, but very noisy, we even receive ear plugs. But the second room had no ear plugs and it was even more noisy as the water pump was right there. The people at check in area pretended they had no idea about that noisy even if the water pump have had been there since the beginning of the hotel.

After many yells and complaints and a very bad treatment from the stuff from us, the operations manager arrived, apologised for his people and asked us not to talk to them but to himself. We asked for a discount but we were refused.

Next day, at the check in are was a young Indian lady very polite, helpful and kind. I am thankfull for giving us directions for the best Indian food I ever ate. (Still, we had to explain her we do not want a touristic place but a genuine one).

The room was very beautifully designed, among the most beautiful I have ever seen. The bathroom was big with lots of facilities but the bath did not seem to be very clean according to European standards and I did not used the tube (but I had bath lotion, bath salts, lufa etc). The spa shower was too high and the water came directly to my eyes, very powerful. I was afraid I would lose an eye if I used it.

The room was right on top of the motorbikes workshop on the ground floor (and the bikes are very, very old and noisy)

The people on the breakfast room and bar were very kind, polite and helpful. The breakfast was good, many fresh kinds of food.

all in all, I would recommend a visit at the hotel for seeing beautiful design (like going to a museum) BUT do not stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the new side of the hotel unless you want to hear old motocicles from 5 AM from th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Zane_MNohr, Director of Sales at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Hotel Penaga, Georgetown Penang!

Thank you for your review on Hotel Penaga. Please allow me to explain in regards to your review as per below:

1. Deposit is certainly a common practice in hotel industry all over the globe. Being an avid traveller like yourself should have known better that most hotels do practice a deposit requirement for miscellaneous charges. Just for your information, we do have this stated on Terms & Conditions with all our associate Online Travel Agents, such as Booking.Com.
Deposit can be paid either with your credit card verification or cash term basis. For deposit payment via credit card, unused amount will be credited back to your account within 7 - 14 days (depending on banks, local or overseas) and not 3 weeks as what you have stated on your review. For cash deposit, we only take MYR100.00nett per night (in your case, 2 nights is equivalent to MYR200.00nett) which is less than EUR50.00.

2. Room type & bedding configuration - As a small heritage boutique hotel, all room types or bedding configurations are subject to availability. These terms are also stated in our Terms & Conditions, whether if you book our hotel directly or through Online Travel Agents.

3. Outside noise - We have already double glazed most of our rooms facing the roadside. Some light sleepers like yourself I presume would certainly have that problem. Most of the travellers understand this situation, given the fact that most of the heritage boutique hotels in Georgetown situated on the main roads.

4. Your allegation towards our staff is certainly serious and need to be investigated. We would appreciate if you can email us directly at sm@hotelpenaga.com to help us to describe the staff who was apparently rude and yelled at you.

5. Cleanliness of the bathroom / bath tub - This is quite new for us as we are known for our "spick and span" bathrooms. And certainly the powerful shower is what every guests / travellers dream of after a long walk around the city. I seriously believe that you do not want to come back from your long city tour, only to find the shower is just dripping water rather than a powerful one, do you?

I, as an avid traveller like you, truly understand the importance of hotel services, being in the industry myself. Sometimes, just one glitch from the moment you stepped into the hotel, can ruined your entire stay / holiday. With that being said, I know sometimes, we tend to go overboard with the review if we are not happy, but please bare in mind that we need to get our facts right for such allegations as this would certainly hurt the business should the allegations happen to be untrue.

Last but not least, we thank you for your constructive reviews and sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory stay at Hotel Penaga.

Kind Regards,

Zane M. Nohr

Reviewed June 26, 2013

After reading previous reviews, I was excited to book the Penaga for two days in between work trips in the region. I had chosen the Penaga from other hotels in a similar price/location for the lap pool and garden. Unfortunately it was disappointing from the moment of arrival. After waiting some time to check in, I understood that the pool and garden were closed for maintenance for the duration of my stay. When I politely expressed my disappointment, the reception manger was off-hand and brusque. After this it took a long time waiting outside my room for the staff to programme a key card that would workfor the door. The room smelt quite strongly of damp and was a little musty which perhaps can be expected in the old shop house conversions. That said, the balcony was a great size and a nice place to watch the world go by below and the bed was big and comfortable. Overall my stay was a bit of a comedy of errors throughout, with staff instructing me to use the business centre to print off a flight ticket where it was impossible to print and waiting for 15 minutes (and giving up) to be served for a drink in the Tanglung Bar. It seems a shame that so much thought clearly went into designing the hotel that the functioning falls a bit short. For the $100 plus price bracket there are better hotels to be found in Georgetown.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Natasha H
Zane_MNohr, Director of Sales at Hotel Penaga, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Natasha,

Thank you for submitting your thoughts on Hotel Penaga. We are sorry to hear that your stay at Hotel Penaga was below your expectation. I have tried to find your name in our system but to no avail. Despite that, kindly allow me to address the matter concerned in regards to your review:

1. Pool closed for maintenance - The Management has decided to closed the pool for maintenance due to the recent freak storm which has damaged part of the rooftop above the pool. Safety measure has to be taken, in which the closure of the pool is crucial in order for us to repair the rooftop.

2. Key card not functioning - We admit that sometimes we do have some issues with the key cards. Hence, we have decided to purchase a set of new key card and replace the old ones so we will not have similar issue in the future.

3. Reception Manager was rude and brusque - On contrary, we beg to differ as our Reception Manager is known for her hospitality. You can check the other reviews which some of them clearly mentioned her good hospitality towards all of our guests at Hotel Penaga.

4. Can't print flight ticket at Business Centre - So far, this is the first time we have encounter a guest having printing problems at our Business Centre. Our PR Officer always make sure that the PC and printer are always in working order and you can always approach our dedicated staff at the front counter to assist you on printing matters.

5. 15 minutes wait at Tanglung Bar - Our F&B staff always making sure that we serve the best in our outlet, whether it is food or beverages. Thus, good preparation needs more time to ensure guest's satisfaction. In some good restaurants, the waiting time is much longer than 15 minutes.

6. Appreciate your feedback - Should the above explanations fail to satisfy you, we would appreciate if you can contact us directly at sm@hotelpenaga.com for further clarifications.

Thank you for your constructive reviews on Hotel Penaga and again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience occurred during your stay here.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

comes with private parking lots on first come first serve base
friendly staff
nice breakfast but not much variety
big and comfy room
room comes with air-conditioner and fan
not many channels on TV
big bathroom with full toiletries
nice ambient inside and outside
small pool located right next to restaurant which is the main reason I skipped it
very hot sun shines into the restaurant during breakfast and
no staff escorted us to change table
bad arrangement of furniture in the room
not all amenities were replaced though we paid full throughout our stay
not much noise in the morning but still kept me awake
excellent location especially when none has no own car
affordable price but a lot of improvements needed
not planning to go back if returning

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Penang's charm is demonstrated through her people and culture. Nothwithstanding that, the state's rich heritage and boundless creativity are celebrated and embraced by the community.

Hotel Penaga exudes these traits charmingly in every aspect. From its intimate space to its warm hospitality, every touch point conveys the hotel's pride and care for their guests well-being.

Keith Er
Singapore

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is beautifully restored and has such wonderful character. The staff are extremely helpful and always pleasant. The rooms are beautiful and each room is decorated differently with different works of art in each. The swimming pool is not the biggest pool on earth but to find a hotel that isn't new and bland with a pool is a bonus. Breakfast is buffet style with enough choice to suit all tastes. The showers are fantastic and the hotel is exceptionally clean. The location is great for walking round Georgetown and experiencing Penang, especially the food! I would recommend this hotel to anyone as one of the nicest and best hotels I have stayed in since living in Malaysia.

• Stayed: June 2013