“Modern, Classical and Very Classy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Penaga

Hotel Penaga
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in George Town
London, United Kingdom
“Modern, Classical and Very Classy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Penaga for 2 nights, 3 days in mid June 2012. Splendid hotel, beautiful modern design blended superbly with antique/classical features and environmentally considerate elements. My room (with balcony overlooking the yard) was very spacious and cool... made a perfect sanctuary from the heat in between my food and sightseeing outings.
I came to Georgetown for the food and the culture and Penaga really was a perfect choice of hotel. Located within pleasant walking distance of the old city, many markets and virtually all big site seeing spots all but eliminated the need for any taxis.
Awaiting me in my room was a wonderful and very thorough compilation of information on traditional foods, cultural sites of interest and history of Penang and Georgetown. Any other 'tourist' questions I had, the front desk staff were very enthusiastic to answer!
The level of service was excellent throughout from all staff. The staff at Cinnamon Restaurant were exceptional. I enjoyed an absolutely phenomenal 3 course lunch, which like the restaurant itself, was a gorgeous fusion of old and new elements!
The hotel bar was beautiful and well stocked with Scotch (which is a plus for me!)
Compared to other hotels I saw, Penaga stood out as being a cut above. I was delighted with my two days stay and I wished I had stayed longer in this beautiful hotel in this beautiful city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Laura Q

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

A very good and fairly central hotel with the rooms (we stayed in the Hutton deluxe with balcony) very spacious and comfortable the hotel manager (scottish) and his wife were very friendly and helpful The breakfasts were very good and dinning in the evenning the food was excellent although the staff could have been doing with a bit more training as your plate was taken away as soon as one of you was finished (I explained later to the waiter the correct way to do this which he excepted with a smile) my only complaint on the dinning room was the mural on the wall which depicted ten women standing in a row with rifles !!!!! very off putting when you are eating as I explained to the manager but yes I would go back again

Room Tip: Go for the hutton deluxe looking into the courtyard its quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaphosGerry
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My family and I enjoyed the stay at Penaga as the staff are friendly and approachable. Room is clean and spacious. Gives you a nostalgic feel within the artistic room. Overall a good experience staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The hotel has great decor-so much so it's overwhelming and has a hint of desperation about it. There are only a few staff that should be working in the hospitality industry-the rest should be in a backpacker hostel or with their foul expression that puts you off your breakfast in a different career.

Breakfast was -well just weird. We stayed 5 days. One day it was buffett with poor choice and the next suffendly it's a la carte. The staff on day 1 poured our coffee and then didn't ever again.
Reception (not sure if they had a concierge) not helpful at all. Does not advise you off places to go or even encourage you to eat at the hotel. They must be bored. They never offered a taxi-instead with a disability you have to walk blocks to try and flag down a taxi.

Most outstanding was housekeeping. Brilliant with the room. Problem is things in the room break-like the tap- and starts spraying hot water all over a very expensive mirror. They had a spare tap so must happen often. Bar staff brilliant as was the lady who runs the shop.

Wouldn't stay here again-prefer at this price to have a concierge assist you with your holiday, the staff to be friendly instead of foul moods and the actual equipment in the room work.

If I want to be treated like a pain in the rear end for disturbing their cushy job doing nothing-I would choose a hovel- not a boutique hotel

As for the decor-try a little less harder

Room Tip: avopid the place and you'll have a great room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kauri2507
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We spent a week in the Transfer suites at the Penaga. These are huge spaces - bigger than some European apartments I've lived in - with a fabulous, huge bed, a well equipped bathroom with a spa bath (there's a trick to turning it on, check with reception), and a separate lounge with undoubtedly the most comfortable chair I have ever whiled away a couple of hours reading in. Our rooms had a road side balcony, great for watching the comings and goings below, and a garden balcony looking onto the cool oasis below. The rooms were all exquisitely turned out, with a mix of traditional and contemporary furniture and art. Some people have commented about the noise. I didn't find this a problem, but our bedroom was orientated towards the garden.

The staff were helpful, eager to please and always ready with a smile. This appears to be a new-ish hotel and some of the staff seem a bit green, particularly in their knowledge of tourist locations in town, and cocktail preparation. However they did their best to find the answers to our questions. I guess you also don’t go to predominantly Muslim country to drink cocktails, so maybe they shouldn’t be the focus of the bar menu, or they should find bar staff more familiar with the product. The central garden provided a cooling atrium for the hotel, and the pool, although rather public, was very popular.

We only had breakfast on site (a bit repetitive but it we didn’t seem to care as it was fabulous and always ate too much), and items from the pool-side snack menu which were divine. Generally we ate out, as the options around the hotel were so inviting. The place directly opposite the main reception area in particular does a mean nasi goreng, and to die for chicken curry and lime juice.

Should I ever find myself in Penang again I would have no hesitation about booking into the Penaga

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank heritagekitty
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. I had decided to stay there even though my friend had advised me not to. After checking-in, we got to the room and it was very musky, smelling as though it had not been aired out in weeks. Upon returning from supper at 11, I tried to take a shower but could not get any hot water. We called the front desk, asking for some help but the receptionist declined saying that she was the only staff at the hotel and she couldn't leave the front desk. She suggested we take our showers in the morning when more staff would be in. After a long dusty hot day, we really needed to shower before going to bed so upon insistence, she suggested we try to run the water for longer and to turn the taps to the extreme left or right to try our luck. We ran the water for another 20 minutes (wasting a lot of water) but nothing. We called again hoping she'd come. Still she refused saying we should really wait till the morning. Getting grumpy, we asked that she help us out. She mumbled something then hung up. About 15 minutes later (almost midnight by now), a security guard came to the door. He wasn't wearing a hotel uniform but a security guard jacket which meant he wouldn't know the first thing about the way the faucets would work. He had a go at the water for a while before telling us that the hot water wasn't working. We were getting really impatient and called the receptionist again asking that she came and tried. By then my friend had taken a cold shower and was feeling pretty lousy. Finally she came up about 20 minutes later, fidgeted with the water for about 15 minutes and then walked out saying it was hot. She grumbled something and left. It took 90 minutes to get some hot water but once it was sorted, it was pretty comfy. Then in the morning, breakfast ended at 1030 and we arrived promptly at 10 but there was no food left. The helpful staff got us some toast and a couple of eggs but not much else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the hotel where it's noisy. They told us we need to pay more for qui...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank funnypea
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Penaga has a nice cosy atmosphere with very authentic decor. It maintains the old nyonya style furniture and added to it modern twists. Loved the way it was set up. However the jacuzzi in our room did not work. And the breakfast selection was average.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business