“The best Chinese food I've tasted, and that includes in China”
Review of Tek Sen Restaurant

Tek Sen Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 929 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Satun, Thailand
“The best Chinese food I've tasted, and that includes in China”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Can't believe it took until our third visit to Penang before we tried Tek Sen. Lonely Planet raves about it, and I see from the reviews here it is also popular... and I can't disagree.
We had stir fried kang kung with sambal, stir fried prawns with tamarind sauce and home recipe double roasted pork with chili padi ('char siew bak'). Each dish was sensational, exploding with flavour and without the stickiness or gelatinous gleam of much Chinese cooking. I opted for the homemade barley with lime drink (so good I ordered a second glass, there's something about the way each barley grain zips up the straw and hits the back of your mouth which is addictive).
It was the last night before Chinese new year and the place was buzzing, packed and lively, but our waiter still had time for a laught and a joke.
It's going to become my local when we move to Penang. I can't see much point in eating anywhere else.

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Oregon
“Stood up to the Hype”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Clean, quick, responsive & most importantly...fine food. Great meal at a great price. Whole family so happy mid meal ordered another plate.

Penang Island, Malaysia
“Best Nonya food and local food”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Best Local food i ever tried in Penang. The dish is good and variety choice. we need to book earlier if we want to taste the best food serving in town. They serve lunch and dinner and finished quite early.

Visited January 2014
“Quality maintained despite increased popularity”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Tek Sen is always on my itinerary when I visit Penang each year. The crowds waiting to get in seem to be getting bigger -- still more local families than foreign tourists, which is a good sign. During the nine years I've been visiting, the restaurant doesn't seem to have compromised its quality or tried to appeal to tourists by becoming more chi-chi because of its increased popularity. This time I had a nice dish of pork belly with a side of kangkong (greens) cooked with prawns and sambal, plus some herbal tea. A simple meal but well done; I'm never disappointed. Don't expect something too fancy; just reliably tasty food at a reasonable price in a simple setting.

• Visited December 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Expectations exceeded”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We always take Lonely Planet's advice with a pinch of salt, they often give poor places rave reviews (for reasons unknown), but in this case they are spot on!
The certificate of excellence from Trip Advisor is deserved.

The food was full of flavour, everything well cooked (though clearly prepared in advance en masse).

Avoid lines by eating a little later, but it's worth the wait

• Visited January 2014