All reviews chulia street small hotel within walking distance small pool call to prayer boutique hotel restored chinese ceiling fan breakfast was included exploring georgetown little india nasi lemak local delights chicken pie central location common areas street noise
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This was probably one of my favourite hotels during a three week honeymoon in Malaysia. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful, which all added to the brilliant atmosphere in this lovingly restored colonial building. The Yeng Keng is situated right in the heart of George Town, next door to restuarants, street stalls, bars etc, however it is set back on a lovely courtyard so that it has a peaceful yet vibrant atmosphere. The decoration is great and there has been superb use made of the orginal features of the building with plenty of areas to just chill out with an open and airy feel in the communal areas. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Penang, and I feel that it really added to our experience whilst staying in Georgetown.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I had an excellent stay at this hotel. it is in the heart of Georgetown, not a typical tourist or business hotel but has all mod cons and also the atmosphere of the place, for example you hear the call to prayer from the Mosque across the street, and the building itself has been lovingly restored. I would recommend it for business or pleasure, hope to return.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I agree with all the other reviewers that this is a great place to stay. The staff are very helpful, welcoming and friendly, it is in a superb central location and the rooms are beautifully appointed.
I don't want to sound like Mr Grumpy but I did find our room a bit small, and anybody who is a light sleeper should request a room at the back of the hotel because the 'action' in the road outside continues until dawn and the reception desk is very close to some ground floor rooms. Also be aware that the public areas of the hotel are not air conditioned.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I've just spent a really great 3 nights here at Yeng Keng, the staff are all so friendly and smiley! The hotel is beautifully renovated. The location is perfect on lively Chulia Street, within easy walking distance of most of George Towns main sites. The room I had was spacious and spotless, the bed was really comfortable. If there was one thing that made sleeping not 100% perfect, it was the 'call to prayer' from a nearby mosque at around 6am... it can be very loud! The breakfast was not quite what I'd call 'American', more of a glorified Continental, but still enough to get you started for the day. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be in the hub of it all, lovely hotel, lovely staff, I'd definitely come and stay again!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We've lived in Asia for 15 years and this must be the frendliest hotel we have ever stayed in. We were bowled over. The rooms a very nice and the swimming pool is small but perfectly large enough to cool off after exploring. Why stay anywhere else?

Date of stay: October 2010