I stayed here for 2 nights while exploring Georgetown.
1. Great Location: Lots of good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. It is located in the heritage area so there are lots attractions nearby to explore.
2. Customer Service: Rooms were clean and the room service was quick to respond to any needs. Everyone at the hotel was helpful and a pleasure to deal with. The hotel itself was well maintained and very clean.
3. Pool: There is a pool on the first floor for you to cool off after walking around Georgetown
4. Hotel Cafe: Meals at the cafe are delicious and at a reasonable price.
5. Private Parking: Hotel has its own gated parking in the back.
1. Space: The room itself is quite small and would be cramped if you have a family. I traveled by myself so this wasn't a big issue.
2. TV: Has a limited number of channels. Not all the channels worked.
Overall I was extremely satisfied with my stay and my experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yeng Keng Hotel is a 20-room restored heritage boutique hotel located in one of the oldest surviving and intact 19th-century buildings at the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage City of George Town, Penang. Like many of the other buildings in the neighbourhood, it was originally built in the mid 1800's as a private residence. The Anglo Indian bungalow belonged initially to Shaik Eusoffe bin Shaik Latiff an Indian Muslim family and remains unique in Chulia Street for not being relegated to the rear of a row of shop-houses blocking its facade. In 1897 trustees of the Cantonese Club 'Ying Han Pit Shu' bought the building on behalf of the association, later donating it to the trustees of the Straits Chinese Building Association in 1939. The building was later leased to Yeng Keng Hotel. The conversion from a residence into a budget hotel was the prevailing trend along the street at the beginning of the 20th century. Small places of lodgings that were conveniently reached from the harbour were in great demand as the traffic in the port grew. An impressive traditional Chinese entrance gate was constructed announcing entry to the 'Lodging House,' adding grandeur to the commercial establishment and to distinguish it from the rest of the buildings on the street. Conservation and upgrading by the present owner, Hoo Kim Properties Sdn Bhd, was undertaken in March 2009 with the renewed Yeng Keng Hotel completed in April 2010. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Yeng Keng Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yeng Keng Hotel Penang/George Town