“Excellent hotel in great location”
Review of Yeng Keng Hotel

Yeng Keng Hotel
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed 3 nights at the Yeng Keng Hotel and were not disappointed. It was renovated in 2009 and they did a great job.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were always willing to help with any requests or questions we had. We stayed in a mansion room next to reception which was quiet. The hotel is set back from the busy Chulia St and from our room we could not hear the noise from the street
The room was modern and clean.
A delicious smorgasbord breakfast was included in the room rate.
Location is excellent being in the middle of Chinatown. Local buses stop very close to the hotel. These are cheap and can be used to get anywhere on the island. There is also the route of the free shuttle bus not far away on Penang Rd which travels around the main tourist destinations in Georgetown.
There is also a great hawker stall setup close to the hotel near the corner of Chulia St and Carnarvon St where we enjoyed noodle / chicken dish, spring rolls and peanut ball sweet dish all prepared and cooked in front of us. We also loved the fresh fruit juice prepared at the stall while we waited. Penang is the place to go for good food and these hawker stalls provided us with the best evening meals we tried in Penang.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank DaveMandurah

Reviewed July 8, 2013

A lovely hotel set in historic Georgetown. The hotel has been renovated and furnished with gorgeous Chinese antique furniture. The facade and front was very impressive.

The rooms were spotless and although in busy Chulia Street it was very quiet. The bus was only a few meters from the front door and took you to he ferry, the night markets and Gurney Drive shopping centre.

Breakfast was good and all staff very obliging.

Room Tip: A room on the first floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie & Trevor S
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Yeng Keng Hotel was chosen because we wanted to be closer to town and because we were taken by the prospect of staying in a heritage hotel. Batu Ferringhi presented beach options but we were quite bored with the idea of Phuket-like tourist beach retreat again n Penang seem to offer Singaporeans (who have previously given it a miss) a peek at what Singapore was like in the past. As widely reviewed, Yeng Keng turned out to have excellent reception staff. The lady who greeted us upon our arrival asked us where we came from, and knowing that the likes of us would be there on a gastronomic pilgrimage almost, she promptly summoned up the last town map she had to mark out possible hawker places. The hotel's room were done up - surprisingly new - and the rooms - size-wise - adequate. The architecture though quaint, was not intimidating. You will feel quite at ease wandering around. It is a small hotel, with staff (lady at the gate, cafe waiters, cleaners) who will become recognisable within a day. The cafe serves up a smashing breakfast because the staff cleverly include specially bought hawker fare (like roti canai/ prata with dhal & nasi lemak). A cab driver who dropped us there told us the cafe is quite noted for its fine cooking and he turned out to be right. Once you walk out, you are walking in the very parts of Penang that probably earned it its World Heritage City status. All in, a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Differentroads
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at Yeng Keng for 3 nights with my sister.Our Courtyard Twin Room is very good and we loved it so much.We chose this Hotel because of it's great location.We wanted to be close to our favorite Hawker and Street Food Stalls in Chulia Street.The Staff are friendly,helpful and always smiling.Our room is clean and the place is tidy everytime.We really liked the environment.We bought back dinner from the street hawkers and ate at the open space infront of the Hotel and had drinks at their Cafe Bar.We enjoyed this experience and we loved the Bloody Mary drink.Cheers to the Bartender who mixed this drink for us!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JunKoya
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It was a short 3N4D and my friends and I found the staff most hospitable and kind.
The Hotel is quaint and we absolutely loved the decor. Also, the location made it easy to just walk out and enjoy our favourite local foods...hawkers just outside. The famous Nasi Kandar Beratur is also just down the road. It was an enjoyable trip indeed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2013

It was a short 3-day vacation for my Mom and also for my American brother in law coordinated by my sis and I. My sister and her husband liked the historical and cultural details of this hotel. My Mom and I were pleased by their selection of Yeng Keng for our accommodation.

The place is like a big family home, with courtyards, lounging areas, chat corners, a pool tucked away in a corner, great natural lighting and airy ambience. It is clean and quiet. Only the wireless signal was somewhat weak but then again, I was on vacation so no big deal.

It is the cherry on top of the icing when the staff relate with guests like family. I am especially touched by Ms Yeoh who went out of her way to help me when i discovered that my camera was lost. She helped me like a friend would and at no point did i feel that she is 'serving me' out of duty. It was a pain to have lost the camera and all the photos of the 3 days in Penang [if you have my Sony camera, please send the photos in the SD card to Yeng Keng, for my Mother's sake] but Ms Yeoh reduced the trauma.

I enjoyed chatting with the team working at Yeng Keng because they are great people.

Room Tip: if WIFI is important for you, ask for room that has stronger signal.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bao58
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights during my visa trip to Penang. This is an interesting traditional style hotel that has lots of character. There are lots of cheaper ones nearby in this neigborhood popular with tourists, but I found the atmosphere at Teng Keng hotel inspiring and worth the price.

I was a bit ill at the time so mostly stayed in my room instead of exploring the area. The rooms are not very large, but okay for sleeping. The room was right next to the reception, and there was some minor noise. Prayer calls could be heard frequently from a mosque nearby.

Service was very friendly throughout. There was a small mishap concerning breakfast, but the staff was suitably apologetic and this was quickly forgotten. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Next time I would prefer to stay further away from reception if possible, but not a big deal.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo