“Tremendous value for money...”
Review of Star Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in George Town
Star Lodge
Ranked #40 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
Belleville, Canada
“Tremendous value for money...”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

For 45 Ringgit per night my wife and I got a double room with a clean, firm bed, private bathroom, overhead fan, A/C, and a table with two chairs. The room was also clean and quite spacious. What more does a backpacker/ budget traveller want or need?

It is a bit of a do-it-yourself place in that if you want clean towels or a roll of toilet paper you need to go ask, but this is not a big deal in the slightest.

The guys working the desk were also very well informed on attractions, directions, and bus schedules, which helped us tremendously. Very well located, this hotel is an ideal base for exploring both Georgetown and the entire island of Penang. We stayed nine nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Nice and helpful people working there, the place is located close to the historical Fortress of the city and sorrounded by nice and cheap places to eat.

The place is just basic, decent room with shower. A good thing is that there's always somebody working there, so you probably won't have to be worried about the safety of your room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank architectBCN
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We really enjoyed staying here on two different occasions. Our first room was smallish, but our second room was huge! Star Lodge is super clean with good security and decent bedding. It is run by ancient Chinese men who are meticulous with their bookwork! That in itself is an experience. They are kind and friendly, even if a little strict.

Star Lodge is amazing value for money in this location with a slew of similar guesthouses. Some guests may have a problem with the noise emanating from the printing factory next door, but it was n't so bad, and few guests would sleep with the windows open (we did not bother with the air-con).

We are looking forward to our next stay at this fantastic venue! Thanks Star Lodge for everything!

Room Tip: We stayed in the vast family room at the back of the ground floor. It is an experience we are still...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Wise O
Hamburg
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Star Lodge is a new guest house in the centre of Georgetown/Penang. It was built by the owner (who has a lot of experience with travellers and their needs and wishes) in the style of the old neighbouring houses, but inside it is all new. They have different room types for different prices, we allowed ourselves the luxury of staying in a large room with aircon and balcony to the back (where it is quieter) and payed 70 RM per night, but they also have much cheaper rooms. The room was clean and nice and spacious. The staff is helpful: they don't badger you with offers you don't want like in some other accomodations, but if you ask for advice or services (e.g. bus tickets, laundry service, etc.) they help you very smoothly. The Star lodge is owned by the same guy as two other guest houses / restaurants in the same street: the 75 travellers lodge and the Western Oriental restaurant. We don't knwo how the accomodation is there, but the breakfast at the Western Oriental is very nice for all those who have been craving for a western breakfast (with juice, fruit, porridge, pancake, sandwiches, muesli, etc.) after weeks of rice and chicken curry for breakfast...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esther W
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The location and vibe of this place is good. More a guest house than a lodge, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We found compared to another for more expensive tariff that this was much cleaner and comfortable. Friendly staff also. The blanket provided (single size) for a double bed was not sufficient but the staff were very happy to provide another. Perhaps their blankets & towels could do with an upgrade due to age not cleanliness, but the place more than made up for it with service, value and generally very good standard of cleanliness.

Nice set of food options close by including a funky cafe next door that also hires bicycles to the hawker type centres a few minutes away.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lovesgoodfood01
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was looking for an inexpensive but clean and quiet guesthouse in Georgetown, something suitable for those who've outgrown the Love Lane flophouses and backpacker-vibe places but don't have the G-Hotel budgets. Seeing the good reviews on TA for this place, I decided to check it out.

When I arrived, the old guy behind the desk was friendly, showing me a choice of rooms (single fan room for 35, or twin AC room for 50, both ensuite), and although neither of the rooms had yet been cleaned yet from the previous guests (I was looking quite early in the morning), the rooms and small bathrooms were in good condition, the common areas of the hotel looked clean, the street was quiet and the locks on the rooms were good and strong.

I walked around some more and looked at several other nearby places, but none were right - either the room looked grotty, or they were noisy, or too expensive, or the manager was downright surly. So, with the positive reviews on TA in my mind and the good things I'd noticed in my first visit, I went back to the Star Lodge and checked in.

Unfortunately, although the room had now been allegedly cleaned and was ready for me, I discovered that they'd remade the bed with the previous guest's sheets. Yuck!

I complained to the front desk, showing him the pillowcase with 4 long, black hairs on it (hardly easy to miss) and he brought me a clean pillowcase. Well, what about the rest of the linen, which was probably recycled too?

FYI, there weren't any towels in the room - another guest told me that you just need to ask for one, but I didn't bother (because I was concerned that they might not be that clean either) so just used a couple of clean sarongs from my bag.

The room itself would have been fine, in terms of comfort and facilities, so the lack of clean linen ruins what should be a perfectly nice guesthouse.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank A-Canadian-in-London
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This guesthouse was located in a very quiet street and the old chinese man who ran the place in the daytime was very nice and helpful, and he spoke good english. There is a food hall as previously mentioned only about a five minute walk from the guesthouse and was very cheap.

The room I had was very basic, just a bed, table, shower, toilet and a fan. But that is all I need and it was excellent value for money. The only problem I had was there were quite a lot of mosquitos in the room. So I bought a big can mozzie killer for only 6MYR ($2 Australian!) and problem solved!
Other than that, if I ever do go to Penang again one day, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo