“Home from home”

Mango Tree Place - Townhouse 1934
Ranked #22 of 174 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

From getting picked up at the airport i knew this was going to be a wonderful
holiday,Kelvin,s happy smile said so.The staff just can not do enough for you,
the girl at brekfast was a deligh and and her smile started our day in a happy frame of mind. Geogretown was a great place to wander around,so much to see and do.We had five happy day,s in the Penang then on to Singapore to stay with my son.When he is Penang i know were he will staying???????????????Love and happynessto you all at the Mango tree

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed for only one night but would have loved to stay longer: Very nice and helpful staff. Beautiful, unique and very lovely designed rooms are extremely clean and come with Malay breakfast. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Georgetown.

1  Thank Micha L
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My decision to stay here was based solely on the response rate of The Suitekeeper a.k.a. Kelvin Leong, who replied my email query late one Sat night in Aug. In between my enquiry, confirmation and my actual stay, Kelvin kept in constant touch and saw to all my requests. This trip was to celebrate my mum's birthday. My mum grew up in a house that was exactly like that of our room at Mango Tree Place. So I'd asked Kelvin to help me prepare a surprise birthday cake for my mum, as well as to help me to make arrangements for massage at a nearby spa. Kelvin responded by giving me email links to 2 spas and also to the bakery for the cake selection.

I've never felt so welcomed, not only by Kelvin, also Warda and the other staff. On Sunday, my mum and I took a walk out to buy some things. It started to drizzle as we were getting our things and I was wondering how to get back to the hotel without getting drenched when out of the blue, Kelvin appears with an umbrella for us!

The Mango Tree Place, truly a home away from home. The room is clean, well-kept, very nicely decorated and comes with free desktop computer and Internet facilities (unlimited) and free coffee-making machine! Very well worth the price I paid, and I will certainly stay here in my future stays. Its location is also ideal because it is within walking distance of food and amenities. But the room is so cozy (there is even a DVD player which you can use to view movies - they have a wide selection of titles on loan, for free!) that you wouldn't mind spending time just staying in and chatting or curling up with a good book.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine K
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Sydney Family - Mum & Dad Son (!6) and daughter (12)
We recently stayed at the Mango Tree Place (September 2012) for five nights and what a wonderful experience. Staff friendly and very helpful - and a great local BREAKFAST... the best we had in Malaysia! The rooms were clean spacious and unique- forget about 5 star - this is way better. Each room had it's own special atmosphere. Easy access to some fab food places, transport right on your doorstep and the street is rather special too.

Staying at the Mango Tree certainly made our holiday in George Town - WE WILL BE BACK. Nothing was too much trouble for Kelvin or any of the staff. Thanks so much

Make the MTP a must on trip to Penang- just wonderful

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Before arriving penang, we wanted to stay in a specific designed room but that was booked by someone already. So they have arranged another nice room for us base on our like. We like the room design so much (unit33), the black and white theme with the timber touch up. The room was very spacious, stunning with the lovely terrace and high ceiling height. We love the swing a lot, good space for reading and relaxing and of cos photo shooting. we like every little details in the room. if you are environmentally friendly, you could use the ceiling fan instead of the air-con. good air ventilation in the room. the share living room is very spacious and with the computer provided.

when we arrived, the staff had a detailed introduction of the surrounding and food for us. it was very useful. the surrounding was very quiet. the brekkie was good. there is also a book reading corner in the office. we had a pampering 3d2n stay in mango tree place. :)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

What we really appreciate about MTP is their thoughtful attention to little details that makes our 3D 2N stay not only a delightful but also indelible experience. Watar noticed on the 1st day of breakfast that I did not eat much and she sensitively asked if I had any food allergies. For the next day's breakfast, the kitchen specially prepared gluten free dishes in addition to the savoury chicken murtabak and scrumptious curry and bismati fried rice that my spouse and mum enjoyed tremendously.

Kudos to Kelvin who obliges to take us to Queens bay at short notice at a nominal fee even though it was his off day and he was due to travel home to Taiping, Perak for a well-deserved break. Prearrangement was to send us to Komtar foc so that mum could go to Campell street to source for textiles with cartoon prints for her patchwork blanket.

For an organisation freak, I especially welcome the free use of PC and house phone which I have very easy access to in our courtyard at no. 33, the 2 storey unit that we reside.
In less than half an hour, I had sorted out all the tasks to do, ie, call hair director, Lun at LAD saloon to change haircut appointment, confirm time for friendly, retired cabbie, Mr Cyril to fetch us to airport on day of departure and prebooked the famous H Hiang Tau Sar piah just a stone's throw away to avoid queuing and jostling with sat crowd:)

A little snag was that mum with her walking stick had to climb up and down the stairs leading to the spacious 2 rooms on top. Nevertheless, we thought it was excellent exercise after all the high calorie foods, ie, Penang laksa, Lorong Selamat world's best Penang Char kuey Teow and PCK endorsed chendol that we chomped down for dinner!

Other than the overactive rooster's crow that went awry on the first morning, we had a restful sleep for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bee Hua A
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I visited Penang early Sept and had a 3 nights stay in Mango Tree. It was my first time staying in a heritage boutique hotel in Penang, turned out to be a nice surprise.

Mango Tree is not a proper hotel as it is actually houses turned into a boutique hotel. Therefore do not expected extensive facilities like those of 3-5 star hotels. I even called up to confirm a parking lot before i booked. When i arrived at the reception, all my worries were cast away. I booked a courtyard suite at house no.33, it was big, simple yet nice deco, and most of all, it is quiet and i felt like i was at home.

If you are a food lover, well, you are in paradise as many great stuffs are so happened to be located within walking distance. There are 2 convenient stores nearby in case you need drinking water. Must not miss the "char kuih kah", "prawn mee" and "loh mee" located just nearby. If you are hungry for Japanese food, there's a very nice one just 2 block away. Want more, just asked, the house manager will give you the direction. :)

Do no expect breakfast buffet at Mango Tree, but what they had to offer was simply better than buffet. We had different menu each day, served with local food, and it was good.

I have been to Penang many times already, so basically what i was looking for is a place to get away and Mango Tree did not disappoint. I had a quiet, comfortable stay and i think i will go back on my next visit.

Room Tip: Always share your food with friends and that is how you get to share as many food as you can. :D
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends