“Old hotel but nice”
Review of Red Rock Hotel

Red Rock Hotel
Ranked #72 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms in this hotel for 2nights. We're very glad that the front desk staff managed to get a connecting room for us. I am physically disabled due to sport injury. I have a 7months pregnant lady and 2 years old baby travelling with me. I am aware that parking is FOC and based on first come first serve basis. The lots directly in front of lobby was blocked and would be opened if we request. So far i had no problem with rooms and car park. On the SECOND night (30 july 2014) we went out for dinner and came back at 2300hrs .. we were so happy that there were 3 EMPTY lots in front of lobby. But 2 parking attendant did not allow me to park my car in those lots.. i asked them why..? They answered me that the lot was BOOKED for physically disabled guest. I told them that i am a disabled but they INSISTED ON NOT ALLOWING me to park my car ON ALL THOSE 3 EMPTY PARKING LOTS. They saw me walking out of the car with one leg and a pair of crutches..STILL NOT ALLOWING ME TO PARK .. at the end they open a space WHICH IS NOT A PARKING SPACE Located on the left side from where i took parking ticket. I made a complain to front desk and he told me that all parking lot are not supposed to be RESERVED which means its open for all IN HOUSE GUEST. Front desk staff confronted the parking attendant but he did not make any difference.. my brother went down just to found out that that the car who park in those lots WERE NOT A DISABLED PERSON????

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Khaosaner
There are newer reviews for Red Rock Hotel

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the 30th May 2014.One night stay.Booked the family room.Overall everything was average.Service was very good.There is room from improvement in all aspects.Breakfast was very limited.Could have done better.Ambiance was not bad.Value for one night stay.Location was very apt.Everything was nearby.Food,Pharmacy & etc.Will go back if am staying with a large/family group only for a night.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank venuschandralina
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Came to penang for a weekend getaway. Arrived early and called the hotel if we could check-in earlier and they say there is a room ready. When we arrived, the manager told us that the room will not be ready until 2pm which is also the check in time. I asked him so why they say yes in the first place and now we have to wait for another hour. We were actually argueing and he called me 'stupid' several times and making loud noises by banging the table and the phone. Overall a good location for food but the worst service. Will not go back.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank tclim7
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Hotel location is on the starting point of food vaganza on mcalister road..
There's bus stop nearby hotel, famous tambun biscuits beside hotel so you can buy biscuit easily if u missed out something.

We stayed at standard family room for 4 people inside. Bed are queen size but bigger than standard queen.
Comfy and firm.
The best part we like is the space.. It's spacious and there's big window even though view is roof.
Room & bathroom cleanliness in standard, not super clean, just enough clean.

Bfast also standard with few choices from main dish, porridge, salad, fruits, also coffee machine.

There's also taxi service stand in the lobby with more reasonable price that you can use.

Overall I would recomend this hotel for those who aren't so picky and clean minded. As for me I would definitely stay here again when I come to Penang.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 1, 2014

arrived red rock after long drive down from krabi to penang. the room was nicely decorated and spacious. the pool was closed at 7pm which is the downside. buffet breakfast was nice and very east meets west.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jenny Z
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our family of 6 stayed at Red Rock over the xmas break,great hotel,good breakfast,area convenient for transport,staff good except for head receptionist who had a massive chip on her shoulder and really didn't want to be there,after an 8 hour flight with children this is not appreciated,the rest of the staff were happy and very helpful,so maybe management may do some retraining of this lass.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zoeTownsville
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked elsewhere but it was so unacceptable (highly discrepancy from online photos) we had to leave and look for elsewhere. We were lucky with the help of a private tour guide acted as taxi pickup driving us around looking for alternatives. And we found Red Rock, we were lucky.
We stayed in two rooms next to each other. One with king size bed and one with two singles.
Nice rooms with all basics like TV, mini fridge, tea/coffee etc. Water bottles supplied everday.
Tv had limited channels but that was not a problem since normally we would go out most of the time anyway.
Clean sheets and towels that were changed everday about 10ish when people tended to leave their rooms.
Our rooms facing the side of the hotel looking down onto the hotel swimming pool. The pool design was nice but had aged (someone told us the hotel was about 20 year old now). People came to the pool to have a phash now and then, but we did not tried as we were on our feet most of the time.
The window was wide and clear so we had good view of that side of the town day/night. We could see all the tall buildings, traffics, the pulse of the town, all from our window and it spreaded far out to the hills and surrounding areas. It has thick curtains of course if you need to shade your room away.
We were on the 10 floor so even though the hotel was on a main street and sort of in the middle of a busy town, we heard no traffic noise.
Air con was quiet and nice. Double room had a bathtub as well and we did tried it, it was very nice.
One big drawback, all occupants of the two rooms found that beds and pillows were too hard for our liking. We did not enjoyed them as much as we did with the hotel we stayed in KL (the One Stop Residence Hotel).
Breakfast included and we enjoyed it thoroughly each morning. Breakfast food were basics with toast, butter, jam, or cereal and sausages for Westerns and fried rice, Char Kway Teow/ fried noodle, Chinese porridge for Easterns. It could be that the way they cooked, it was above areage for us.
My children tried most of them and they liked them. We tried the chinese most of the time except the porridge, and we liked them too. After the savoury meals there was the fruits to wash it all down. That was actually the best part for me at least, as I was in tropical fruits and fruit in general. I would not forget those sweet juicy papaya, pineapple, watermellon, and rockmellon. All cut up ready to be scooped up and enjoyed in air con room each morning.
They also had juice, tea and coffee. The coffee was good, sometimes I had to have more than 1 cup eventhough it was simply coffee machine coffee.
With full tummy and content we threw on our backpacks and went out to explore every day.
Reception staffs were friendly and competent. They answered all questions and helpful with printing out our boarding passes for free (we had to pay 1 Myr /page at the hotel in KL).
Front door boys were always there to open taxi doors for us, loaded/unloaded our luggages. They did not asked or had any hints for asking but we tipped them 1 myr / piece of luggages. They were always ready and smile.
Hawker foods were everywhere outside the hotel. At first we only tried restaurants with air con as the smell of 'open sewers' prevented us eating outside. But then somehow we got use to it eventually, and tried and we were hooked. Their food were good sometimes even better and were really cheap.
We discovered a great 'wanthan mee' hawker a block away from the hotel. It was in a cafe shop sharing space with multiple other hawkers. It was simply egg noodles with wanthans in soup/broth or soy sauce but somehow so delicious. Its 'sui kaou' (a type of dim sum) were to die for. We had them everyday, even just before our ride to the airport to fly out, and we even took some with us to the airport to enjoy while waiting.
For Red Rock, rooms was good, services were there, location perfect, we wouldnt mind come back.

Room Tip: Lifts were fast so choose high floor rooms for view and avoiding street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family