Red Rock Hotel
PPisland Hotel(George Town)
Ink Hotel(George Town)
Oasis Hotel(George Town)
View Hotel
Munlustay 88 Hotel(George Town)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe bell boyhousekeeping servicehawker foodinternet connectionbig roomchar kway teowstreet foodpenangserviceable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2012

A friend of mine booked this hotel for me because of my budget request. (Rm120 to rm160+) My family member 4 of us went there and stay at their Deluxe room which had 2 queen side beds. Room condition quite ok. I like the location of this hotel coz very near by hawker center and shopping malls, good to explore around with your family members. My kids enjoyed the swimming pool and i had a great time as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel was located on the very busy Jalan Macalister, and was about a 20 minute walk from two large shopping malls. There were smaller shops and restaurants nearby, including a supermarket, pharmacy, and a food court serving all sorts of (nice and dodgy) Chinese food at reasonable prices. We took a private tour bus to the tourist attractions; these did not seem to be walking distance from the hotel.

The lobby was very spacious and well decorated. However, the air conditioning was set to freezing in the lobby (it was fine in the rooms) which meant I had to wear jumpers/cardigans every time I passed through there, even on a hot day. The slowly operating lift had some small dead cockroaches on the floor which were only removed after half a day had passed.

The room and bathroom were a good size and well furnished. Unusually for mid-range hotels in South-East Asia, the room had a kettle to make tea. The staff also kindly brought me up some salt when I requested it.

Breakfast was buffet style with continental European and Asian options. There was a lady making fresh omelettes (usually made to order), but I was disappointed when she just handed me a cold one that someone had obviously rejected or was an extra one prepared earlier by mistake.

The hotel pool was located on the fourth floor and we had a view of it from our room. It looked clean and a reasonable size although I did not swim in it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stay for this hotel for 3 nites and what a good room we have, first enter at our room bed is wide, room is clean, bathroom complete, all is just okay and price affordable, when having breakfast at Groundfloor was delish.. Come to Penang will stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shernzel
Reviewed September 6, 2011

On arriving at the hotel we were quickly offered a welcome fruit drink whilst the check in formalities were completed.

The rooms were clean, reasonably sized and powerful aircon. I felt the carpets on some floors were scruffy.

The hotel is on a busy street, I didn't notice any street noise. Across the road were a selection of local shops including a chemist/apothecary - handy as I had picked up a holiday flu, the staff asked the right questions and sold me a selection of 'western remedies'.

Walking back towards the Fort area of Georgetown were a selection of chinese and indian markets, selling plenty of cut fresh fruit. I guess the fort was 30 mins walk from the hotel.

I was involved in a near tragedy at the hotel swimming pool, where a solo swimmer became disorientated in in the pool, panicked and started drowning, fortunately fatalities were avoided. The lesson is about staying aware of risks when on holiday, Eastern safety standards aren't the same as Western ones, no life guards, no cctv on the pool, no life belts. No matter how safe it seams, don't go swimming on your own.

The staff were understanding and concerned, when the incident was reported. Although I was unwell - holiday flu, during the stay. I felt this was a good hotel with friendly approachable staff.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank scotts-tour
Reviewed August 24, 2011

It is hard to believe that this hotel had just went through a refurbishment just 3 years ago. It seems like they only redesigned the lobby and nothing else. The carpets are old, the toilets are old, they give you zero toilet amenities except for a small bar of soap and some liquid that you can use to clean yourself (if you choose to).

The rooms still has non flat screen TVs with minimal satellite channels. Bed is hard and firm. Be sure not to throw yourself down onto the bed you minute you step in the hotel if you have that habit.

The location of the hotel is the Key selling point. It is walking distance to:
1. The infamous Lorong Selamat Char Kuey Teow (5 mins)
2. Big malls - 1st Avenue and Penang Times Square (15 - 20mins)
3. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Center (5 mins)
4. Lots of clean hawker food. (10 steps)

The staffs are extra friendly. They go all out to make you feel at home. It does help to make up for the bad condition of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for non-smoking rooms or non adjoining rooms, if you mind lingering smoke smell.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family