“Pleasantly surprised”

Old Penang Guesthouse
Reviewed May 26, 2014

After reading the lukewarm reviews of this place, we weren't expecting much, but some of the better reviewed places were full, so we booked Old Penang.

So glad the other places were full, because we had an excellent stay, which we extended twice, since we also loved George Town.

The guesthouse is in a traditional wooden house in the heart of the UNESCO site, perfectly located for Little India, Chulia Street, and walking to the clan jetties. Also great for just wandering around and admiring the architecture.

Old Penang is spotlessly clean, and even the shared bathrooms are sparkling all the time. We usually do not share bathrooms because other travellers can be disgusting, but here it was not a problem at all. They even provide hand soap at each sink, clothes soap to do your laundry, and a place to hang your clothes to dry. The bathrooms are on a patio that is outdoors, so you can sometimes smell the sewer, but this is a problem in the entire city, not just here.

Beds were comfortable, and our private rooms (we stayed in two) were equipped with reading lights.

Walls are a bit thin, so you can hear other guests, but mostly it was super quiet during the day, and just a little noise around 9pm when people were getting ready for bed.

Staff were helpful and friendly as well.

Just a great place to stay!

Room Tip: The room on the front of the guesthouse (number 1) is the noisiest, so I recommend room 11, which is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in a single room, which has no window. It was my first room without a window. But I feel comfortable with it. It was a clean simple room with AC. Breakfast is included. My room was really loud a the daytime. (first floor, but you can hear the voices from the ground/rezeption etc.) But it is really quiet up to 11 pm. So, I had well sleeping nights.

The house is located in the old center of Georgtown. You`ll find everything in the surrounding.

If you have question the stuff will help you.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was very lucky to choose OPG. It was my first experience of backpack but I felt very comfortable with OPG as it was clean and the surrounding was very quiet. The staffs there were very helpful and gave us helpful info to travel around Penang.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed in the 12 bed mixed dorm closest to the bathroom downstairs in bed 6 and got SO MANY bed bug bites. I think they also got in my things. They were nice enough to let me put all my clothes in their drier but I'm not sure it helped. It's a shame because it's a cool guesthouse. It's 100 years old, they have a free breakfast of toast and fruit and the staff is very nice but they have a serious bed bug problem. I also think 26RM is a bit expensive for a bed in a 12-bed room.

1  Thank T-girl42
OldPenang, Manager at Old Penang Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear, we are sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. We look into this problem seriously and had clean the room thoroughly. We will continue monitor this from time to time. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Spent one night in this place. small and cheap room, but clean and with air-con, and breakfast included in the price. located in a beautiful old colonial house, very well placed.a very good address for backpackers.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This place is lovely. The building is beautiful with a classic feel. The lady (Indian I think) that I originally spoke to when asking for a room was incredibly nice. I was so impressed. She showed me around, informed me of the facilities including borrowing free adaptors, free computer use, free maps and the free breakfast (toast, fresh fruit and coffee which was great) among many other things. I had a dorm room which was perfectly clean and fresh with a reading light and great aircon, the bathrooms were well cleaned, the other backpackers are all super friendly, great communal area with table and chairs as well as a couch to sit and watch cable TV or borrow a book from their bookcase. It was an amazing relief after coming from an awful backpackers in Kuala Lumpur. I'm going to Langkawi for a few days and I'll definitely be coming back!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Christineee91
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My friend and I spent 3 nights here and was very impressed by cleaned bedroom,also shared bathroom.Old Penang are located on very good location (around 400 m. from main road, 7-11 and bus station). Staffs helped us as well as they can when we asked them.