After reading the lukewarm reviews of this place, we weren't expecting much, but some of the better reviewed places were full, so we booked Old Penang.
So glad the other places were full, because we had an excellent stay, which we extended twice, since we also loved George Town.
The guesthouse is in a traditional wooden house in the heart of the UNESCO site, perfectly located for Little India, Chulia Street, and walking to the clan jetties. Also great for just wandering around and admiring the architecture.
Old Penang is spotlessly clean, and even the shared bathrooms are sparkling all the time. We usually do not share bathrooms because other travellers can be disgusting, but here it was not a problem at all. They even provide hand soap at each sink, clothes soap to do your laundry, and a place to hang your clothes to dry. The bathrooms are on a patio that is outdoors, so you can sometimes smell the sewer, but this is a problem in the entire city, not just here.
Beds were comfortable, and our private rooms (we stayed in two) were equipped with reading lights.
Walls are a bit thin, so you can hear other guests, but mostly it was super quiet during the day, and just a little noise around 9pm when people were getting ready for bed.
Staff were helpful and friendly as well.
Just a great place to stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Old Penang Guesthouse is a beautifully restored pre-war building in the historic city of Penang, Malaysia and still retains much of its old world charm. It is believed to have been constructed more than 80 years ago. It is especially important as an example of a very early shop house prototype. From the original mosaic-tiled flooring, intricate artwork, inner courtyard and to wooden shuttered windows, every aspect echoes the history of the region, and offers a beguiling journey through this enchanting heritage. It is a best accommodation for travelers who seeking for budget heritage stay. The design integrates old with new, modern with historic, ensuring that the total experience is one that is authentic, honouring the past while bringing every modern convenience to bear. Let's explore the heritage and find your old time memory here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Old Penang Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Penang Guesthouse Hotel Georgetown
- Old Penang Guesthouse George Town