My friend and I arrived on a very hot afternoon and were immediately very impressed with the guesthouse. The location is fantastic and the building is beautiful. It has been looked after well and felt more like a hotel than a guesthouse/hostel. The staff are lovely and extremely helpful when it comes to information about the town/transport etc. We also liked the fact that it was a real mix of guests-some backpackers, families, older travellers and single travellers. Maybe not the place if you are looking for wild parties, but those opportunities are also not too far away. For the price, you couldn't really ask for much more, especially since a breakfast of toast and fruit is included, as well as unlimited tea and coffee.
Down the road on Stewart 'lane', if you turn left, there is a nice little bar, and on Love Lane itself is a very cool gallery selling some nice prints and handmade items, but it's only open after 5pm. Also we found a woman on Lebuh Carnavon (very close to the corner with Lebuh Kimberly) who sells absolutely delicious pastry goodies from a little stand on the street- they were some of the best things we ate there. Try and find her-she's great!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Old Penang Guesthouse is a beautifully restored pre-war building in the historic city of Penang, Malaysia and still retains much of its old world charm. It is believed to have been constructed more than 80 years ago. It is especially important as an example of a very early shop house prototype. From the original mosaic-tiled flooring, intricate artwork, inner courtyard and to wooden shuttered windows, every aspect echoes the history of the region, and offers a beguiling journey through this enchanting heritage. It is a best accommodation for travelers who seeking for budget heritage stay. The design integrates old with new, modern with historic, ensuring that the total experience is one that is authentic, honouring the past while bringing every modern convenience to bear. Let's explore the heritage and find your old time memory here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Old Penang Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Penang Guesthouse Hotel Georgetown
- Old Penang Guesthouse George Town