“Good value for money”
Review of Hotel Royal Penang

Hotel Royal Penang
Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed here for 2 days and we enjoyed our stay in this hotel, It is a nice place with courteous staff .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Royal Penang for 3 nights. My first thought when I arrived in the early afternoon was 'wow, I could live here!' But as night fell, I quickly changed my mind.

I was given my first room on the 12th floor which was a smoking floor. I was not asked whether I prefered non-smoking/smoking which I thought was a lack of service on the reception part. The corridors do smell musky as per previous reviews and upon entry of the room I was greeted with the scent of stale smoke.
It was not that bad at first and I thought I would be able to put up with it for only 3 nights.

On my first night, I was waken by the noise from the kareoke from downstairs where loud music and sing/yell voices drifted upwards. And from waking from the noise, I noticed that I felt sick from inhaling the smoke fumes.
I rang reception at 1AM after I could not tolerate the smell anymore and was feeling worse. I asked to be moved to a non-smoking floor which they accommodated and sent the room key up within minutes.

Note: If you are a heavy sleeper, you will not be put off by the noises you can hear from the hotel room.
If you are a light sleeper who will just lie in bed agonising over the sound of bad kareoke singing, loud thumping music, construction noise and street traffic noises - this is not the hotel for you unless you can resort to earplugs, sleeping pills, etc. On my second night there was construction throughout the night and the use of a jackhammer! I just felt for the locals in the surrounding houses who had to tolerate all this noise ALL the time!

ROOMS: I stayed in a superior room and it was nice and spacious. There is room service, bar fridge with nothing in it, ironing board, hairdryer, TV with a movies channel, kettle, internet via cable (so laptop only). I was given a king size bed and it was comfortable. Bathroom is ample size with many mirrors and good lighting.
I will note that my first room was much cleaner than my second. The second room was well overdue for a vacuum.

GYM: After I first arrived I headed straight for the deserted gym. The gym is OK - with sufficient equipment to use (xtrainer, treadmill, bikes, steppers, weights) however it is not air-conditioned but with open fresh air coming in with the use of fans - so not the most pleasant environment.

POOL: It looked clean but I never used it.

FREE SHUTTLE BUS: The hotel offers 3 free shuttle bus services out to Gurney Drive and 2 return trips. The outgoing times are approx 11:00, 3:20, 6:00 and the return times are 3:40 and 6:30. This is good if you want to go kick around that area and shopping centre for a while but if you want to go down to the Hawker food stalls you will need to catch a taxi back as the stalls do not open until 6:30.

BREAKFAST: Great, as per previous reviews. Juices, tea, coffee, cereals, pastries, bread, salad, fruit, rice, curry, noodles, cooking station which makes eggs to order, pancakes, noodles - so plenty. I ate as much as I could each morning and it would pull me through to the late afternoon.

LOCATION: Not the best location according to tour drivers as it is not near the water/beach (which you cannot swim in anyway) but I enjoyed the location because it was right next to a Giant supermarket and a minutes walk to New World Park Hawker food centre. I ate dinner there from 5PM everynight, trying different food stalls each night. I have to say this: If you like bananas, you MUST try the banana pancake stall. They are 2RM for a beautiful crisp banana pancake. Note that the stall is closed Tuesdays.
Also there is a bakery which is on the way to the Park which sells some nice buns.

SERVICE: Everyone seems nice at the hotel and reception can speak a high level of English which is useful.

I would return again to this hotel and would say that this is an acceptable business type of accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank sologee
Reviewed November 1, 2010

The stay at Hotel Royal Penang was a real treat. We arrived there after 3 nights in a decent hotel in langkawi but this place really made us glad we were in penang now. The hotel staff are very friendly and effecient. The rooms are standard size but with some added facilities that grab your attention (e.g. iron + board, hair dryer, weight scale, extra pillows in the cupboard etc). The only real negative was that the hotel was not close to any of the penang attractions or shopping. However, the hotel covers up for this in part by having a shuttle service to the malls and main shopping belt. Overall, good value for money hotel that i would recommend to someone in a second!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed there for a 2 nights stop in Penang and frankly, for something like 35€ per night, we cannot wait more than what we got... Of course, this hotel is for some details a bit out of age but the size of the room, the average confort is really approaching a real european 4 stars hotel.
Service was ok but restaurant staff was not friendly as they were mainly focusing there attention on groups that were confercing in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Direct level 1 link to Penang Plaza (with Giant & Guardian Pharmacy as anchor tenants) , with free shuttle to Gurney Plaza, easy for me to drop by to do last minute shopping for diapers, milk powder etc. Hot wok (good peranakan food) is only 2 shops away from penang plaza.

hotel is within walking distance (about 10 minutes) to New world food court, which my kids love as it has their favourite yong tau foo, fishball noodles, (what’s a visit to penang, without
trying out all the delicious local food)

As for me, i prefer the famous char kway teow which is about 15 minutes walk in another direction at Lorong Selamat (off Jalan Burma/Macallister). but be prepared for long wait for good food. usualy i'd order other food from the outside roadside stalls such as popiah and kway teow thng 1st while waiting for my char kway teow.

The staff are friendly and most willing to help, and hotel amenities such as shampoo, etc are all provided.

For the price that we’re paying, I feel the hotel is great, with spacious and clean rooms. (very important to me as I’ve once stayed in a hotel in georgetown that had ants crawling over my packed bakery items by next morning). thankfully after seeing the reviews of other guests, i've requested for rooms on higher non-smoking floors, which they aceded. and my requests for hot kettle, king size bed, etc are all done when i check-into hotel

For families with young children, hotels with swimming pools and bath tubs are a must, to cool the heels of restless kids. Thankfully Hotel royal has both.Note: swimming pools closes at 8pm as they don't have life guards.

The breakfast spread is quite diverse, with the common kids favorites such as muffins, omelette, rice krispies, honey stars etc as well as asian spread such as bee hoon, nasi lemak (so-so only), bao, samosa, curry puff, etc (depends on which day you visit as asian items are different daily).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Both myself and my partner stayed at the Hotel royal Penang for two nights from the 5th of September. The staff seemed friendly and helpful and the main entrance looks nice which is a bit of a misconception of what the hotel is like on the upper floors. As soon as we left the lift we could smell damp in the hallways, once in our room the smell was even worse, there was also what can only be described as dried blood on the curtains, the sheets on the bed were grey (obviously hadnt been updated for a while) and the general cleaniness of the room was something to be desired. However the breakfast was ace and the beds were comfortable!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2010

more like 3 stars hotel. sound proof very bad. good value for money!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family