“Its very tired perhaps someplace else”
Review of Hotel Royal Penang

Hotel Royal Penang
Ranked #57 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel was once a prince of a place unfortunately it has grown old and tired. I think there are probably better places to stay with a bit more to offer. This hotel is out of town which is the first down side, you need to catch taxi everywhere which adds to the cost.

I had requested a non smoking room, I got a room on 18th floor which was wonderful, however, it was a smoking floor. You get the picture.

The powerpoints were dodgy so someone had to come and install my international plug as it wouldnt fit into the powerpoint.

The clock didnt work, it is still sitting at 6.35 when I set it the first day I arrived.

There was no ice in the mini bar or for that matter anything else, even the water wasnt in the fridge.

I did use room service for ice and each time I received a different amount of ice.

On the last day there was no internet I phoned reception twice about
this lm still waiting.

The plus side it had a bath which I am very fond of. The breakfast was ok, nothing special however, they did make omlettes with ham in them. yum.

In all honesty I really didnt like Penang very much at all.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pros:
- Hotel located at the centre of Georgetown.
- Room is huge.

Cons:
- Breakfast so-so only with limited choices.
- Car park, you need to visit the front-desk (to get free car park chop) every time you go out. basement car park don't have lift, you need to climb the staircase with your luggage.
- Room, you can smell smoke even its a non-smoking room.
- Room, shower is broken.
- Room, the pillow are too not comfortable, it is totally worn-out. (I have my neck pain the next day)
- No WiFi, only provide a very short Lan cable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MichaelChye
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 day's on our visa run, we found it ok very tired looking in the room needs a revamp & soon. Not happy with the wifi none in the room had to go down to reception which didn't always work..?? Which in this day & age is a must, thought the staff at reception desk very good also at breakfast which was nice fresh eggs to order lots of choice. View from our room was lovely mountain & sea view... Found a great burger bar called marshalls near to the hotel very nice burger's & very cheap... Would go back to the hotel could live with the few problems.... Good hotel for the money...

Room Tip: We stayed on the 16th floor great view from our window mountain's & sea view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My personally rate for this hotel is just 2-3star.I stayed in this hotel for 4D 3N..and 1 word i can say is sucks..i have change room for 3times..that means every single day i request to change room..rooms is old..carpet is old as well..and smelly even though is non-smoking floor..air conditioning sucks..not cold at all..i keep on complain to the hotel manager..i was really pissed off..wasting my time and energy to keep on shift room..finally on the last night of my trip,the manager give me the best room which is a presidential suite on 20th floor..i think this is the best of the whole hotel..so guys..if you wanna stay in this hotel..only the presidential suite is recommend..NOT the superior or deluxe room! The breakfast is weird and very less choice..u can add on RM80-RM150 to get a much better hotel around georgetown area.10q.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My suite on the 17th floor was large and airy with an excellent view to the hills and the harbour, but the decor was rather tired and drab, and the carpet in the entrance room was grubby and long overdue for a clean. This was the case for much of what I saw of the hotel. The facilities, such as the pool and the gym, are very basic and are really not good enough for the expectations of today's business traveller. The pool is not an inviting place to sit and relax by, born out by the fact that it seldom seemed used during my two week stay, and the gym is tatty. The staff were approachable and keen to please, and I had no concerns regarding the cleaning of my room. The buffet breakfast was adequate and the dinner buffet varied thorughout the week and was actually quite good value for money. There are more than enough other eating places close by for variety, and none of them expensive. The supermarket in the attached shopping mall carries a wide range of provisions, and there is also a pharmacy and bookhopp in the same building. The hotel is convenient for getting to the colonial centre of George Town.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for a good view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We like Hotel Royal because of its location, which is at the edge of the heritage part of George Town and on the way to Gurney Drive and Batu Ferringi. With Giant supermarket next door, you can also grab some mineral water, fruit or pastries if you need to.

The rooms are quiet and the curtains can really keep the lights out allowing you to sleep till late. However, the hotel is looking jaded and the rooms could be cleaner. Parking is another problem if you drive an MPV or SUV as the additional parking provided next door is more suited for smaller cars.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators can be noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TCK K
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel meets the criteria for standard city accomodation and is otherwise unremarkable.
The hotel staff, in error, overcharged me by £50 ($80). Not a large amount of money but for budget accommodation the amount almost doubled the cost of my stay! This was badly explained to me on check out but as this happens from time to time I was happy with the explanation once the acting manager had spoken to me.
I was reassured that I would be reimbursed within 7 working days. We are now 2weeks down the line and I am still waiting for the money to be transferred to my bank account. I sent an email to the guest services manager last week but he is yet to reply. While I was there I noted several disagreements between guests and staff regarding similar circumstances. I wondered whether this hotel has a constant tendency for such mishaps?
I have asked to speak to the member of staff who deals with complaints as this is totally unacceptable.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business