Tune Hotel George Town Penang
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La(George Town)
$72
HotelJen.com
Very Good 4/5
Yeng Keng Hotel(George Town)
$100
$82
$73
$51
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$106
Agoda.com
$51
$45
Good 3.5/5
Hutton Lodge(George Town)(Great Value!)
$19
Very Good 4/5
GLOW Penang(George Town)(Great Value!)
$41
$34
Agoda.com
Very Good 4/5
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$48
$42
Great 4.5/5
Spices Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
$67
$63
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
$73
$68
1,354 results
All reviewsbudget hoteladd onspower showerstrategic locationthe ground floorrooms are smallbus stophot showercomfy bedaffordable pricewithin walking distancefood stallsparking spaceshort staylight sleepergurney drivekomtar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel is as advertised (clean, good location), but there are a few problems:
The bathroom door can't be completely opened as the room is too small.
There is no way to keep power on when you leave the room (laptop/phone charging issues).
Staff have no power adapters and recommend buying them from hotel store.
The wifi service is not free, which is not abnormal, but I expect a paid service to be faster than dialup speed (it's slower than dialup).
Other hotels in Penang offer more for about the same price, so I can't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2009

It's clean, neat, affordable, great location, and most importantly, its beds are really great! Not to say the power shower they have. Some more, they do housekeeping everyday to ensure that we enjoy our stay!

It's really cheap I would say, around 20-40 per night. Of course, you can choose to have add-ons like toiletries, air-con, internet excess etc. I would really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed July 28, 2009

So when you travel to a Tune hotel, you must first be aware of it's concept. It's a low-cost hotel, owned by Air Asia. Items such as air conditioning, wi-fi & towels are all optional add ons that are not included in the price.

I booked online for a queen room which includes an ensuite bathroom. For the price of a hostel I beleive this is outstanding value. The room is clean, modern & is cleaned daily. The room sizes are good considering the price.

Overall if you want a romantic getaway perhaps look elsewhere, but I highly reccomend this to single travellers and budget travellers/couples.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank priceystuff
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We went on a 2 day trip ro Penang recently. Flew with Air Asia. When we got to the hotel, my first impression was, Wow! This something for a change. My husband and I both had travelled quite a bit and used quite often budget hotels, as we thought; why waste the extra $$$$ on services we don't use, we just need a bed & shower facilities. So we've seen the worst to bad and very good budget hotels. But this place fits right up to our very good list.

Booking was made and paid for online. What we didn't expect was that we have the freedom to choose if we want towels, shower amenities and air-conditionning. Pretty basic needs which are chargeable. We took the basic 12 hrs air-conditionning and paid for a total of RM60.-; about USD17.-!!! Beat that! The beds were in very good condition, a little hard but still... Bewarned that there are rooms that comes WITHOUT WINDOWS. But one could request for rooms with windows of course. The rooms are a little small but otherwise has a 5 star hotel standard cleanliness - which sometimes even 5/6 star places don't have.

Air-conditionning works when we place the key card into the slot. So that tells you how many hours you've paid for and how many hours you're left with. There's a ceilling fan which is not chargeable and always a good option when air-conditionning gets too cold. Shower facilities are excellent! The shower/toilet is very clean - another 5 star standard.

Public areas are very well maintained. Although I must add that they don't have baby changing table in their toilets. And they don't provide baby cribs. My 2 year old had to bunk with us. Lucky I took the double bed. They do have connecting rooms, but you must request of it.

The staffs are very friendly and are willing to help you find your way around Penang. They have a travel/transportation/car rental desk to arrange for trips, which is a bonus since we didn't drive there. Its a fairly new hotel, but I forsee Tune hotel to be getting much more good reviews. Will go back to Tune hotel Penang again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The hotel is fine, room and bathroom are small but CLEAN, bed is superb, 5 stars experience, location is easy accessible to food courts, hyper market, shopping malls, all within 10 mins walking distance. free internet usage at lobby absolutely is a good gesture!

But the lousy management, or the service from the hotel staffs are a real upset..

No early check in is allowed, No late check out is allowed without charge, that's fine to me. But the check out time is 10am, I think this is a bit ridiculous! The 1st time i heard such policy since i have stayed so many hotels before. If you want to request late check out, pay 1 more night ! really sucks! So, if you have a night flight out the island, you better book 1 more night then...

They should have offered a 6-hours refreshment package..

I have no choice but paid for 1 more night, then problem came again.. they never informed me to change the key card earlier, on that extended time, the power was totally shutdown, and then i found out from the reception that i need to restore my card. Because I didnt do that, my balance of 6 hours air cond usage was forfeited, if i need to use air-cond, i gonna purchase again... what the hell! pay again...

And, the housekeeping! Dont expect your room to be cleaned up ASAP, although they request the guest to check out at 10am. The fact is, they outsource the team to clean the rooms, it was so so slow. I hanged the "Pls clean my room" signage outside the room at 11am, the room was only cleaned up in the evening.

All in all, the hardware of this hotel basically is nicely built, but the management need a lot of improvement!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends