“Great value for money, good location, decent rooms”

Tune Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #40 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I got a budget room that is clean and in a good location. Diagonally opposite is a great nasi kandar place. Next to hotel is a great Chinese cooked food place. It is also near gurney drive food centre. What else can a foodie want?

Also close to the main heritage attractions. Worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank food_heiress
tuneh0tels, Manager at Tune Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hi There,

Thanks for the review.

Happy to hear our location makes it easy for you to explore the gastronomical delights of Penang.

We are happy when guests' are.

See you soon.

Sharon De Silva - Customer Care Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2013

First time staying with Tune Hotel. We just needed a place to spend the night while we're out during the day. Hence a very basic and budget accommodation sufficed and this hotel was good value as it's cheap, clean and comfortable. Extra amenities and services are available at a la carte/packaged prices e.g. air-conditioning, towel, toiletries, etc. Location is within walking distance of good eating places and malls. We have our own car but parking within the hotel compound is limited and rather expensive so we just parked at the road side. My only complain is that we could hear almost everything that goes on outside our room e.g. footsteps, people talking, doors slamming. I believe noise level can be minimized if the corridors were carpeted. Overall it was a pleasant stay if you're looking for a budget place to spend the night.

Room Tip: First corner room on higher floors have a sea view e.g. room #901.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doopy81

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at Tune Hotels Downtown Penang.

Comfortable bed and power shower makes Tune a charm for the ones looking for good value for money.

We pride ourselves for offering competitive rates and the flexibility to tailor your stay according to budget. Our rooms are clean and functional; and strategically located close to major shopping, sightseeing and business destinations.

We are glad in making your stay a pleasant experience.

See you soon.

Sharon De Silva - Customer Care Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2013

despite the rooms is small and no tv, we cant ask for more with that price. it's cheap and just enough for what we need during our trips in penang. Their location is superb as it's only walking distance to Komtar, the main bus station. Therefore, we never encounter any problem with public transport^^ and there're lots of hawker stall nearby. Its a strategic place to stay in! and the stuffs are always have a smiling face when greeting us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HuangPL
tuneh0tels, Manager at Tune Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thanks for the review.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our, services and facilities and I know my team will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks.

It's always rewarding to know that our guests enjoyed our 5 star beds at 1 star prices.
Thank you very much for all your positive comments.

We hope to continuously 'wow" your expectations in future.

Have a pleasant day.

De Silva-Customer Care Manager

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This comfortable hotel. And delicious restaurants nearby.Have a 7 eleven downstairs.An accommodation. Is convenient when you want to stay. Connecting with others Attractions Near shopping. But rooms a little small but overall feel is satisfactory. Hospitable staff. Internet access is available for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tipapan N
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is quite a distance from the party area and even from the shopping malls. The room is relatively small but the price paid commands for it. It's just like those typical Tune hotel budget rooms so no much surprise actually.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hi There,

Thanks for the review.

Our rooms are space efficient and functional. It helps in regulating affordable pricing, thus, translating them to saving for guests.

Our Tune Hotel Downtown Penang is located on Burmah Road is quite central and close by some of these interesting spots:
10 - 15 minutes walk to KOMTAR
8 minutes walk to Penang Road
5 minutes walk to New World (food & shops)
10 minutes walk to Red Garden hawker center (food)
5 minutes walk to Jalan Nagor (food area)
15 minutes walk to Little India
15 minutes walk to Fort Cornwallis

Thank you for taking time with this to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future

Have a pleasant day

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went back to stay in Tune Hotel Penang again after my last visit in 2012. Not much things have changed and basically everything remained the same except the rooms and the limited furnishings appeared very used and high time to be refreshed or replaced.
I noticed the walls are now very bare, without even a picture or informative board sign and the number of clothes hangers have only two left instead of the usual four!

The bath towels (looked very used and leathery- no longer soft and furry) in my opinion needs to be replaced with quality newer ones, after all it cost me RM4.00 per rental per piece when I estimate the cost of a new towel of similiar quality would cost no more than RM20.00 a piece in nearby KOMTAR! I can always opt to use my own towel but I do not like to carry a half wet towel in my luggage when I check out. Afterall, I believe these towel rentals contribute to part of the hotel profit and income directly or indirectly.

The rooms are still very bare and without television. As such, if you are travelling alone, please bear in mind, to completely drain yourself out totally to sleep as it is quite boring without any entertainment while inside the small room.

The design for this hotel is very and too basic. In my honest opinion compared to some other Tune hotels I have stayed in so far, it is truly very boring. I guess I really missed having a noisy and informative TV to keep me occupied while I am inside the hotel room during solo travel.

But to be honest, I acknowledge the firmness and quality of the matttress in this Tune Penang to be much better than the rest of most Tune I have stayed in. I am quite sensitive to this because I have a very tired physique which appreciates a firm mattress to rest on.

The overall cleaniness and appearance of this hotel looks a bit off and run down compared to the newer Tune hotels I have enjoyed so far.

In my opinion, I would not pay more than RM50.00 per room per night (with all add on inclusive) if this conditions and facade of Tune Penang remain status quo. I do sincerely hope the Management could do an honest review of this Tune hotel Penang from time to time to review its own self and please Do refresh and improve all the room and its furnishings wherever possible, but I wonder would they do so in view of the current strong support they are enjoying since their opening since Penang is always a popular and nice attractive destination for short breaks or holidays.

I do hope that Tune Hotels being a budget hotel concept chain Do Not continue to make itself look and appeared "CHEAP" without having constant modern improvements in place until all the "good" business" is vaporised and the Tune Branding is "worthless" before they decide to act!

Please act before it is too Late!"

Room Tip: Please ask them to clean the room air conditioners filtering net when you check in. My looks not bei...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank wjchew
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was staying in this hotel for a short trip in penang last year on november. Check-in was fast and efficient, the room was small no space to walk around, only ur bed and toilet. Bathroom was even smaller... No tv and u have to be on your bed all the time.. Was boring being in the room and finally decided to check-out earlier... Sound proofing was really bad i can easily hear people talking and walking in the next room... But this is what u get for the amount u paid... So think wise before booking this hotel... It might be suitable for backpackers and business travellers not for couple and family travellers...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent stay at Tune Hotels Downtown Kuala Lumpur.

Our hotel essentially operates on a limited service concept, parallel to a “pay as you use concept” Since we are a Limited Service Hotel, we provide the basics for a good night sleep.

We do not provide items such as wardrobe, mini bar, coffee and tea making facilities, extra pillows, extra beds, room service, etc. Air-conditioning, Television, and Wi-Fi are chargeable add-ons and towels are on rental basis only.

Rooms are space efficient and functional. This helps in regulating affordable pricing, thus, translating them to saving for guests.

Wet are sorry to hear that the noise in the area disrupted your stay. We do try our best to seclude any guests with noise concerns on the quieter side of our building if rooms available.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Regards,