See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night here and paid 218RM for the place, it was over our budget and we would have loved to have stayed another if we could afford it.

We got good wifi, aircon, comfy bed and great pillows, hot shower and private toilet. And breakfast!

Breakfast is crazy tho because it was packed to the rafters with people doing the usual visa run.

We would definitely return in the future

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Vaughan M
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent four nights at the Banana Boutique Hotel between Christmas and New Year. On arrival, we were charmed by the restored heritage building, and the very conveniently located bar/restaurant at the front. The rooms were fairly basic, but clean and comfortable, and fresh water and a newspaper were delivered each day (though it took us a couple of days to realise we needed to leave out a sign if we wanted the rooms cleaned).

The staff were friendly and tried their best to be helpful (though weren't always able to call a taxi), and the bar was pleasant enough. Breakfast was a bit disappointing - despite being shown a breakfast menu on arrival, we were presented with a queue for a rather depleted buffet.

The main attraction of this hotel is its location - it's an easy walk from all the sights, bars and restaurants of Georgetown, and on a main enough road to make getting a taxi or bus anywhere else fairly straightforward.

Would definitely recommend as a fairly budget option - good for friends wanting to make use of the large communal areas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CatOxford
Reviewed December 19, 2012

what you are looking for...for me travelling alone and being almost not in the room...well it was sufficient. the hotel is an old heritage building and well maintained. the staff is friendlich and efficient. the rooms are clean but there is nothing much of comfort. when i was looking for the shower it took me some time to locate it beside the toilet. there is no separation between toilet and shower. so, after every shower your cubicle is over and over wet.

you should also not expect a great view als you will simply see nothing through a small window. however, the hotel hall is nice with an aquarium full of fishes. you can sit there and relax. there hotel does not have a restaurant what you actually do not need but it provides breakfast voucher for the restaurant in front of the hotel where you can have a decent breakfast (nothing special to expect). it surely can stop the hunger. otherwise just make some moves around the corner...you are in georgetown, chulia lane...there are more food stalls around as you may imagine so you wont stay hungry. the prices for the hotel are pretty fair. a good fair place to stay for a visit...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel is advertised as a renovated charming old home, the superior room was small, with a comfortable bed, with little room for a suitcase. The bathroom is cornered off with a cheap looking coloroured glass wall which is very tacky, no hot shower. The window was coloured glass also which allowed no natural light, yet the curtains were cheap & see through, therefore it was bright in the morning.
Definitly not a 4 star hotel, very overpriced for what it was. Staff ok.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aine O
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Overall, it was really the worst experience I have ever had. I found some backpacker stay is much better than this one.

I was helping my younger cousin & her friend to check in to this hotel. The staff at the reception counter, Ms Elxx, talked to us like we are not welcomed. No greetings, no smile, & with arrogant tone. The staff who led us to our room at the ground floor (same arrogant like we never pay the hotel) wear shoes & stepped into the room. So, is her action showing us that we have to wear shoes into the room? I was just so shocked that we paid almost RM300/night & get this kinda service & room hygiene.

Then, we realized that they didn't give us 2 single beds as we wished. Ms Elxx then said because we didn't tick at the column of "2 single beds" while booking online, so they gave double bed as default. Alright then I request for 2 single beds then. Without helping us to check for its availability, very fast the 2 staffs just deny together that No we don't have room with 2 single bed already.

So this morning I received a call from my younger cousin who is checking out from the hotel. The receptionist Ms Elxx wants to charge them an extra RM100 because she claimed that the visitors last night didn't leave their room before 11pm. I talked to this Ms Elxx through the phone. She asked me in a very rude way (almost shouting at me) "didn't I tell u that no more than 2 persons in a room?!"
I answered her that those are their friends who are living in another hotel nearby (Continental Hotel). And you didn't tell me that visitors have to leave before 11pm!

My cousin couldn't leave the hotel if they don't pay the extra RM100. In the end they have to pay them in order to catch the bus!

Surely can find hotel with much better STAFF COURTESY & room cleanliness at this price. Shouldn't have chosen this hotel. The room appearance is so different from the pics from booking.com. This hotel doesn't worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends