“Splendid”

Ranked #71 of 965 Restaurants in George Town
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I visited Thirty Two with my girlfriend recently and we loved the experience. We noticed that the place has had a facelift with a new coat of paint on the outside and the interior deco changed. Very classy indeed.

We were a little early in arriving, however the host and the bar staff made us feel very welcome by suggesting we take a drink by the beachside. We sampled a wine caipirinha, which was fantastic. The cafe which is on the beach front serves as an annex to the restaurant and serves a lighter menu and a great place to sip a cocktail or beer.

We were shown to our table and I thought the decor was elegant and modern. The restaurant was busy but the tables allow for adequate privacy and are not too close together. We went for the set dinner menu after hearing positive comments from friends and we were not disappointed. Each course offered a different and exciting experience. The highlights, for me, were the cod and the sticky toffee pudding which ended a perfect meal.

i would really recommend for those whose looking for the ideal place to have lunch or dinner or even just to hang out, doesnt matter for a date,or friends, business partners,family or even alone,this is the place.

We will definitely return again soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently visited 32 at the mansion after sometime of not having been. This was an occasion to remember because it was my dear dear friend's birthday dinner and the experience was something to cherish. It was impressive what they have done to the restaurant. The place has received a new coat of paint and as much as I could remember the interior now looks different from the past. Still as majestic and tasteful as before. One thing that has not changed is the good food. I still enjoyed the lemongrass dressing used for their spicy salad, a house specialty it seems. The mushroom soup was good as usual and the cod which I was told by the server was a new inclusion into the menu was perfect! All in all we had a great time dining in this iconic Penang restaurant which in my opinion deserves a mention here. 32 has done Penang proud. Kudos and keep up the good work.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We spent a beautiful evening at Thirtytwo Mansion. Sea breeze and night sky was perfect thats why we chose to sit al-fresco. Not new to the culinary industry is Chef Mathijs from Netherlands. We asked for starters and chose 3 different flavours of soup. Try out the Blue Swimmer Crab Bisque for seafood lovers, one of my dining partners described it as having authentic flavours and Chef had made no short cuts to present this to us. I had tried the Oriental and Western Mushroom Soup with Basil and Grana Pardano recently and was tempted to order it again for its chunky flavours yet chose another classic flavour Tomato and Caramelized Onion. I am quiye biased to home made soups and was very pleased to find that my Tomato soup was just as satisfying, it was served perfectly smoking and the whole routine of blowing and sipping slowly from a soup spoon was nostalgic and comforting. The soup was thick with redness and the coloring was darker from the herbs thrown in. YUM!
We took awhile ordering our mains and enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco between us, we had to give some time before we were ready to receive our main courses. finally we chose a few that we all wanted to try. The Oven baked Cod came accompanied with Roasted Sweet Potato, Young Mango and Tomato Salad in a Yellow Curry Spice. Charming mix! The cod was a large portion so we had plenty of bites to share amongst us.
One of my all time favorite fish was the Seared Sea Bass interestingly it came with Carrot and Gingerbud Puree, Sticky Rice Galette, Pickled Root Vegetables with Kaffir Lime Beurre Blanc. I would have been perfectly happy with my seared seabass so the extras were a welcome bonus!
Being a man, my dining partner devoured the Roasted Lamb Rack, plated just nice with Crushed Sweet Potato and Horseradish, Peach Tomato, Marinated Eggplant and sprinkled Pine Nut. Chef Mathijs was a super star tonite and my out of town friends were truly impressed with the whole experience. Service was also friendly and our reuqests and comfort was aticipated. Thank you Chef! See you very soon!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stumbled upon this colonial building after many hours of walking.

Being Aussies a beer was on our agenda but weren't expecting anything out of the box....well we were surprised.

This place is on the beach...yep,beach! We at at a wonderful table overlooking a small private beach with beautiful shady trees with a wonderful sea breeze to cool us while we drank a "bucket of beer" 5 bottles for $40MYR.

Felt like we were in a time warp or perhaps a scene out of the Marigold Hotel or to some lesser extent, Fawlty Towers, but whatever you want to call it, we loved it and went back again tonight. A great tonic after a hot day exploring Penang.....another place in time!

1  Thank Mackasx2
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our last meal after being away from home for four weeks having travelled to Penang via langkawi and Borneo. It was the worst meal of our holiday. The first course was ceviche king prawn and chicken liver pâté. The prawns were nearly noticeable and the chicken liver had a curious smell. Mains was vanilla salmon and seabass - salmon was way overlooked as was the sea bass. The service was sloppy and unprofessional. I am allergic to shellfish and asked the waiter to convey this to the chef, it was the only restaurant on our trip where he didn't respond after speaking to the chef. The room was draped in dirty net curtains and was poorly lit for a reason. The security on the door was verging on being rude and his attitude should have alerted us to what was to come. Avoid this restaurant at all costs. We ended up with upset stomachs. We declined the desserts because of the poor starters and mains. Very poor quality, dark dinger atmosphere. Definitely one to miss! Also very expensive.

1  Thank Jeanette0101