“Never eaten this type of food before”

Nyonya Baba Cuisine
Ranked #773 of 1,028 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had read about this restaurant on T.A. and it was just around the corner from my hotel. From the time I stepped into the door I felt at home. The owner made suggestions on what I should try and I went along with her ideas. I had a lovely meal which she prepared for me as I was on my own. It was a lovely restaurant and the clientele were a warm and friendly bunch. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to others visiting Georgetown.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

There is so much fantastic, tasty, and fresh food available in Penang. Sadly, Baba Nyonya has none of these qualities. The food is bland, has no depth, and the portions are very small. Frankly, I believe the only way they stay in business is serving one-time customers/tourists/foreigners who have no idea what nyonya food is or those who have yet to eat elsewhere in Penang. Don't waste your time, don't waste your money, and certainly, don't waste your calories here. You're much better off eating hawker food for a fraction of the cost.

If you insist on going, BEWARE of the outrageous charges for a small handful of peanuts (1.50) and hand wipes (1.50 each) The waitress plonks them on your table before you even look at the menu, where in small print, you are informed that you will be charged unless you "decline to accept the peanuts and hand wipes".

2  Thank WeickFamily
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The owners of our hotel, Clove Hall, suggested we try this little restaurant which was a short walk from the hotel. Its owner explained some features of the menu to us and made some suggestions: it was one of the best meals we had on this trip - subtle, not overwhelmingly spicy, fresh, interesting tastes. I wish it weren't so very far away - I would love to go back!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were inticed in on our first night in Penang. Very disapointing food despite the praise the chef/owner said. We were more or less told what to eat. Since eating here we have had a number of exceptional nyonya meals at other places like Ivy and Nonya Breeze. I was told to never trust a skinny chef or one who praises their own cooking too much. I should have listened and so should you. Best to stay away.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Perhaps a little more pricey than other nyonya restaurants we tried on our trip, but the flavors were unmatched. Further, the service was incredibly friendly and helpful.