“Nice & Quiet”

Ranked #62 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice & Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

i was amazed by the tranquility of the hotel despite located along one of the busiest roads in penang. i have always liked the look of a hotel that retains all of it's original charms which includes furnishings, architraves, etc. so when i was informed by the organizer of an event i participated in that the official hotel is the 1926 heritage, i was excited from the get-go!
upon arrival i was greeted by the friendly staff which whisked through the check-in process without undue delay. the room was generously appointed and although the fittings looked a bit dated, i came to expect that considering that it is an old building.
suffice to say that the weekend i spent in the hotel was a pleasant one to say the least & i will definitely come back when the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: you will hear rumors of spirit sightings, etc. but it is expected because this is an old building. b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ahmad Shazerain Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 13 July, as I was a bit put off by the lacklustre reviews. Turned out they're not far off at all.

What worked:
Free inroom wi-fi pretty decent, and as everyone has said, a lovely refreshing swimming pool. Overall, a charming and attractively restored heritage building.

To be fair, I paid MYR140.00 nett for a superior double room. That should set expectations to some extent, but indifferent customer service can still be jarring on the psyche.

1. My room was basic, clean, spacious enough and next to the swimming pool. Everything in it was working, but I missed having an in-room safe.
2. Lower floor (in my case ground floor) rooms in heritage hotels can be noisy. Inconsiderate guests and their lively children can be heard running up and down dropping furniture luggage and god knows what else on the timber floors at all hours, disturbing your sleep. I complained about this twice and told them they should put signs up and tell all upper floor guests to "tread lightly".
3. Breakfast was included in the tariff, but it was a very very sad affair. Tasteless, soggy, bland, unappetising. Skip it altogether and eat at one of the coffee shops outside.
4. Check-in was a long drawn out affair. The receptionists advised me that I had come at an inconvenient time (between 3pm to 4pm) when they had to handover duties, cash etc. to each other, so I had to wait for their handover to complete. Their attitude only changed when their Manager noticed me standing there for obviously too long waiting to be checked in. He had to step behind the counter and direct one of the receptionists to check me in! Nice one.
5. Later that evening after dinner (about 9.45pm) I popped into reception to ask for a wine glass to enjoy my own wine. The young receptionist looked at me as if I was asking for blue cheese to have on the moon. With two restaurants open on either side of her, she told me flat that they couldn't do any such thing. Another nice one. Never mind, I saved my nice wine to enjoy at the next hotel.

Basically, the only person at 1926 who appears to be clued on to basic customer service is the manager. He tries, but he clearly doesn't have much to work with.

Overall, 3-star premises, 2-star guest service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kay O
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We are a family of 6 adults and 3 young children. Booked 2 standard double rooms and 1 superior triple room. The 2 standard double rooms were still ok, although no scenery view outside window, but rooms were still considered as clean and equipped with basic amenities. But the superior triple room looked rather old and the bedsheet was stained. Asked room service to change, but end up still the same. And the aircon in the room was very old model without remote control. We had to tip our toe to adjust the temperature on the wall. Apart from this, the water heater was fixed so high up to the ceiling in the bathroom. My husband (abt 170cm) had climb up to the toilet seat to adjust the temperature of the water heater.
In addition, all the rooms are provided with electrical mosquito repellent. Yes, there were mosquitoes in the room!
Also, there was no hair dryer in the room. You have to loan it from front office. We stayed there for 3 nights, but was unable to loan the hair dryer for even one day, as the hair dryers were always on loan.
Well, maybe that's the standard since the price is relatively cheaper for its good location.
Other good point with this hotel is they provide breakfast, simple basic, local breakfast with butter and toast, fried noodle or nasi lemak, served with potato wedges, hashbrown, baked beans, sausages, fruits, coffee, tea, milk and cereal.
And my children enjoy the kids wading pool too.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ShanShan_Lim
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Before I begin writting why we didn't enjoy our stay here I do want to say that it is possible that this was just an isolated case as the other reviews seem to be quite positive for this hotel.

We booked a Heritage Balcony Double room which looked lovely in the photos. Unfortunately this wasn't the case.

The room was very dated and very tired. The bathroom was disgusting, dirty, leaking, smelly, mouldy and faulty (the hot water switch didn't work so we couldn't get a hot shower. When we asked about getting this fixed the switch was sellotaped down. Granted this worked short term but wasn't really what we were looking for)

There were no safes in the room ( if I had looked into this before I went I would have realised this but I kind of expected a hotel of this size and supposed caliber to have them). We ended up having to pay to get our passports etc stored at reception.

I didn't find the staff to be all that either. They were far more interested in speaking amongst themselves than helping us. The security man however was exceptional. Full of good advice, arranged taxis for us and even carried our bags down from our room at his insistance.

Breakfast was worth missing. The food was awful and he selection even worse. We ended up going out for breakfast for the other 2 mornings.

As for the pool - unfaultable. Very nice and very well kept.

Area - Just a bit too far out of Georgetown to walk in (I wouldn't recommend this anyway as there are no pavements for half the walk). Taxis and buses are easy enough to get and are efficient.

Overall our trip to Penang was enjoyable but we were very let down by the hotel.

It did look as if some form of renovation was being undertaken and maybe we were just in an older room but unfortunately we wont be going back to see the changes.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms and definately ask for one facing the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Davinglis

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here twice in 2012, earlier in the year in March 2012 and now in July 2012. Some of the people I was traveling with have stayed in this hotel for the third time a few years back.

The rooms are from average sized to large. The ones on the pool side tend to be larger. Some of the second storey rooms, facing away from the pool have some sort of inconvenient split level and should be avoided if you have walking problems. This is because the suitcase rack is stored at the upper level near the door and away from the lower level where the bathroom and beds are. These rooms tend not to have a mini bar fridge. Only the larger rooms have that option. In general, you'd want to avoid the second level if you have walking problems anyway, as there are no lifts in the building.

Breakfast is included in the price. When I was there in March, there was a more extensive buffet breakfast of nasi lemak, porridge, fried noodles or fried rice, and the Malaysian idea of a "western" breakfast that includes baked beans, sausages, hash browns, bread with a toaster you can use and butter and jams, some fruit, coffee, tea, cordial type "juice". In July, the breakfast buffet didn't offer nasi lemak. However, there was an egg station with a cook making eggs to order.

The staff are pleasant, although not always the sharpest nor the most efficient. However, they always make their best efforts.

The rooms are clean, there is basic shower gel, a bar of soap, but no shampoo. The towels are thin.

The room I stayed in my most recent visit had drainage problems and overflowed constantly. They did not fix it upon request.

Indeed, during my most recent 4-night stay, they didn't replace the towels twice and they didn't make up the room once. The shower gel also was not checked and not topped up. Maintenance is an issue for this hotel and it seems the more we stay here, there are increasing issues. A few years back, this hotel would've gotten a good rating.

The pool is nice, with a popped tile on one side. There are jets that you can activate and it's nice to get a massage.

On this most recent visit, there were hotel guests that started getting noisy from 11pm at night and chatted and laughed loudly till 5am in the morning. I had to call the front desk a few times and they were not successful at keeping them quiet.

Location-wise, it is a good hotel to stay in. As I usually drive to Penang, it is not far from Pulau Tikus or Air Itam, or Gurney Drive. There is parking, but it is limited and can get tight.

Not too far from the hotel are two famous Apom (a type of local pancake) stalls of two feuding brothers - Apom Guan and Apom Looi. Apom Guan is supposedly better. However, I prefer the crispy version of the Apom / Apong. There is also a man with painted nails (he claims to be a medium) selling a longan drink. On the same side of the road is a 7-11 and a Perak-based pastry company - Tiger Brand. There are also a couple of coffee shops that have more stalls open at night than in the day time.

Across the street, you can get the famous local pastries from Him Heang and further along on the same side, Ghee Hiang offers the same competing products. If you are really famished, across the road is a 24 hour eatery with Indian food.

If you can put up with the kinks in this hotel, it's not too bad a stay. This place could offer a lot more. But I suppose the price would correspondingly increase too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank worddict
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

During our 4 days in Penang, there's nothing to be complained. Simply just because we admitted that its positive points were much more than the negative.

First, here are the positive points:
1. Located in main road, not too difficult to find
2. Near some tourism spots (Georgetown area, Standing & reclining Buddha, New World)
3. Passed by public transportation (bus)
4. Many temptating food to satisfy our hunger & thirst: Chinese food around the hotel, Nasi Kandar, Lou Han Kuo, SevenEleven
5. The Hotel's manager & staff were sooooo friendly & helpful
6. Old building, but no doubt, the management runs high standard cleanliness & maintenance
7. Relatively affordable.

Second, the negative points:
1. Local tv station only, no choice
2. Standard menu @ its resto
which basically are not big issues for us.

So, our comment for 1926 Heritage Hotel:
It was a great Hotel, great management & staff and we have no regret in choosing this hotel as accommodation during our stay in Penang.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank cubitusebby
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Love this hotel. It's simple, cosy and staff there are friendly (of course you have to be polite first!). I have seen complains about rude staff on other websites but they are not. I will definitely stay in this hotel again and again. Some complained that there are not toiletries but think again... for SGD60nett for a double, how much toiletries you expect? I am totally fine with this idea of just clean room, clean towels AND coffee facilities.

It's a beautiful building, rooms are spacious and for the price, breakfast is great. Location is away from the crowd and you see the local way of life there, minus tourist buses and karaoke and all those crappy places.

The best part we park our car right at the back door of our room!

Everybody should support small hotels like these as they are really value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family