Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Booked our 1st night through Agoda & stayed an extra 2 nights. We paid a different price for each night because of the incompetency of the staff, at the end of our stay they tried to get us to pay more because ofr their mistake, which they had previously admitted to & agreed we didn't have to pay for..............I don't think so! It certainly wasn't worth the RM182 they were trying to charge!!

The room was fine, spacious enough even with an extra bed but it was 'tired' & certainly didn't warrant the title of 'Superior Room'. The ac was loud but efficient enough, we had a huge balcony but no furniture to sit on - such a shame. Also, the balcony light was on all night & we couldn't turn it off, it was shining right in our windows - what a waste of energy! The room had a fridge & kettle but no comp tea/coffee, there were a procession of ants constantly marching along the walls (I know it's hard to control this in SE Asia but still off-putting). The toilet had damp patches on the ceiling & an open pipe in addition to a strange gurlging noise every time we ran the tap. The shower pipe didn't fit the attachment so you had to hold it to shower - slightly annoying. The toilet bowl itself was dirty & scraped - it needed replacing & the corners of the room were dirty; overall the toilet was worn & needed a facelift.

The pool was probably the best part of this hotel, lovely for a dip after exploring the beautiful old sites of Georgetown, the hotel isn't in the best location for this, you either need to bus it or taxi as it's just far too hot to be walking to Little India etc. The breakfast was so bad the first day we didn't go back. There were signs in the bedroom advising you to leave your valuables in the safe at reception, there was in fact no safe, they simply attached a bit of paper with you room number on it and sit it on a table at reception - safe?? Our belongings were returned intact but we were still a tad wary.

Overall, I wouldn't recomend here, there are many hotels in Georgetown with closer proximity to the sites & hopefuly better organised reception staff.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank LulaBird
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at 1926 Heritage Hotel (also known at Hotel 1926) for two nights. Despite its lovely heritage facade, it was unfortunately one of the worst places we've ever stayed in. We booked a Superior Room at the promo price of 179Rm pn (20rm more than the standard room). According to the booking site we used, the room is normally over 200rm per night.

To be fair to the hotel I'll give the good points first.

1. Good bathroom - hot water and toilet worked fine.
2. Reasonably clean
3. Air Conditioned - but then most of the places in Penang are
4. Elect. Kettle in room

The bad news...

1. NOISE, NOISE, NOISE !!! This was the most noisest hotel we have ever, EVER stayed in. Our so called Superior Room was on the bottom floor, next to the car park, therefore we heard every car that drove in or left, every car door slam and every person who was walking in the carpark. There is no buffering in the ceiling thus we heard the people above us - every thump, jump, stomp and movement they made, every time they moved the chair across the floor and everytime they moved in thier bed - we heard it. PLUS the upstairs hallway noise echoed into our room, kids running up and down the hall. Also the hallway of the bottom floor is tiled so we heard everybodys conversations and footsteps in the hall as well as the cleaning trollys. I spoke to the chap at the reception desk regarding this noise but he didn't seem to care. For two nights we got absolutely no sleep.

2. We paid for a Superior Room with a balcony - what we got was a shabby room on ground floor with old, shabby, uncomfortable furniture - dirty linen - the pillow slips were filthy and the blanket old, scratchy and theadbeare. The balcony was a small area that went straight out to the carpark, no security whatsoever. The doors leading to the balcony were flimsy at best, one had holes in the panelling and we could see out.....and who knows who could see in. Above all, the bed was hard like a board and one of the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. The air conditioning, although it worked was also extreamly noisey.

3. The Wi-fi only worked in the lobby and public areas, not the rooms. The noise that generated in the Lobby was horrendous! I tried to work on my computer on the second night there and the noise coming from the attached cafe was deafening, I've never come across this sort of noise in a hotel before.

4. Breakfast was included in the price of the room. The breakfast area where breaky is served was way too small for the size of this hotel and you either had to get there very early or right at the end to get a table. The noise level in the breakfast area was again, LOUD !! The food is not good either, no cereal, really bad coffee and tea - water was 'burnt'.

5. Overpriced. As I said we paid 179rm per night (promo) for a Superior Room, what we got was a poor shabby room which ended up being dark as we had to keep the curtains and balcony doors closed due to the location of the carpark. We had book for 2nights with the intention to stay in Penang longer, possibly at this hotel. We had arrived late in the evening, but the very next day went out and found another beautiful old heritage building guesthouse for 80rm per night incl breaky and it's no-where near as noisy plus it's mucher closer to Georgetowns heart - walking distance to all the great eating areas and shopping. With 1926 Heritage Hotel you had to catch a taxi to get to anything.

We've stayed in alot of backpackers hostels and they've been heeps better than this for a fraction of the price....and this is supose to be a hotel of some standing! I was so upset by the noise level and the discomfort we endured at 1926 Heritage Hotel that I made a written complaint to the management upon checking out. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room tip: Make sure you get a top floor - DO NOT stay in a bottom level room - It's Noisy!!!
Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank kezzaloveslife
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The hotel has good price but beware as it is not clean in the rooms. You will find bugs on the wall, dust in the corners and today we had a big cockroach. The hotel could have been something but with poor maintenance and bad cleaning you have a place that really is from 1926. The only good thing is wifi in the rooms.

Date of stay: September 2011
2  Thank Pabban
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I choose this hotel due to the pick seasons and it is the only hotel that still available for last minute booking.I have reach Penang at 1am, I've book a superior triple room. The receptionist wasn't really friendly to say, but i don't expect much cause its already late. To be frank i am confident to stay here because it has been recommended by my friend who has stay here before. As what he picture about this hotel seem as the same as what i seen so far until the bell man open the door of my room. I was shock cause the condition of that room was far from what i have been inform . The room was far to the corner and on top of that the equipment looks shabby and it seem like no one has occupied or even enter that room for such a long time. It Was Horrible yet Creepy at the same time.

The next day, i went straight to the reception counter to demand for room change.The staff was really helpful and polite I still remember her name i was (Ms. Ani). She ask the bell man to assist me to the new room. Right after the bell man open the door I was surprise to look at the room interior. It was exactly nice and clean. They even have a brand new flat screen TV, minibar and the best part is they have a balcony.The bell man asking me if i would love to see another room to make sure that i am really satisfied this time. But i just tell him NO, Its perfect this time.

Even it is not a five star hotel yet i been treated like a real five star guest. The warm and kindness that they have show to me is really worth it to be here and i will be back again once i came back to penang for a holiday.

Love you guys and thank you especially Ms Ani...

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This heritage hotel is handy to George town and the beaches. We appreciated the friendly helpful staff wo were very willing to help out with suggestions and advice for getting around.
The local bus runs past the door with a bus stop a few doors down. We recomend using the bus to get out to the butterfly farm and don't missa visit to Hard Rock Ferranghi. It was great to return to nearby restaurants for some great Penang food. This hotel is great value for money. The breakfasts included were a good way to start each day.

Date of stay: May 2011