“Nice Food All Over One Place”
Review of Gurney Drive

$70.00*
and up
Half-Day Penang Private Food Tour
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a must visit place in Penang where you can find all the nice and cheap food all under one roof. Usually it will be crowded in the evening after 6pm and so good to be there early.

Recommended food: Penang Laksa, Chay Kueh Teow, Chendol, Cheng Teng, Satay, Rojak.

2  Thank ZfyEd
There are newer reviews for Gurney Drive

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Penang has the best street food in Malaysia but it's found in other parts of Penang. Ask a local to show you where they are.

But there are good shopping malls here.

3  Thank Gouzai
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The food there are generally of a high standard but don't expect to be overwhelmed. Since taste is rather subjective so try out everything that strike your fancy. There is a stall, Ah Chye Rojak, which I like very much. It is very different from the Singapore version. They also sell their specialty paste which allows you to make your own rojak at home. It is easy because all you need is crunchy fruits and veget like apple and turnip and whatever you like, cut to small little bite size and mix the past and you have your own rojak. The fresh cockle is another of my favorites. It can be crowded and getting a place for a big group can be a challenge. The place start around 6pm.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I heard about this place from local recommendations… I was looking for somewhere to try all the local essentials in one location… like Asam Laksa, Char Kway Teow (with duck egg), satay etc… And I really wasn’t disappointed. Tons of variety, bristling but efficient service, lively atmosphere, and… above all… absolutely delicious food.

We visited at about 10:30pm on Saturday night and the place had the perfect amount of visitors… enough to make it feel truly alive but not so crowded to cause difficulty with seating. And all the stalls were still open. From everything I’ve read, this seems the best time to visit.

I was so surprised and saddened to read about the awful experiences described here on Trip Advisor. I’m so thankful I didn’t experience anything like that. Actually, Gurney Hawker was one of the highlights of my visit to Penang. But, after reading about others experiences, I’ll approach it with more caution during my next visit.

1  Thank manasicaje
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the first place we went for food and we were excited. We planned for this as the highlight of our Penang trip.We were disappointed!

We were there about 530pm and with only segments opened, we went for a walk in Gurney Plaza and return to the street stalls about 630pm. We were in the Chinese section. We ordered the Fried Oyster and when the vendor served it, I was shocked it was already cooked, simmering in the wok! Too late, I wanted to cancel my order but the food was already halfway in the paper plate. It tasted horrible. Flat, oily and totally yucky! A waste of my money (RM$10 gone!for a medium size). The BBQ my friend ordered was the same, it was already done waiting for her. The steam cockles arrived in 5 minutes, hot but it was not fresh. The color is a dull brown and lots of sand inside. We have had better ones back home. We didn't finished it, it don't looked good after while.

There was an Appon stall (crispy local panacke) and it tasted very good. 5 pieces for RM$3/-
There are 2 versions. The plain crispy kind and the coconut with banana type. Both were delicious!We bought because of the crowd. And we dared not try anything else from the Chinese section after our disappointments!

The centre section was closed, not sure why. So we walked over to the Malay section. We tried the Pasembur which was so so. By now, we were so full, we had no room for satay but there was this Indian stall doing non-stop roaring business.It piqued our curiosity and we walked over.

It was a Indian stall serving fresh shrimp pancake or fritter with a few other version but still fried, done on the spot. We ordered the shrimp pancake and waited 20 minutes for it. It was worth it. The best we had anywhere. Very fresh, hot and tasted so good. What with both of us, being so full and we can yet tell it was great! If we had ordered from here when we were hungry, it meant we can finished one whole big plate each. We should have started our meal from this section. If you are walking in from the junction, you will reach this section first. Obviously, we didn't return for another visit.

1  Thank twofeathersSingapore