“A must see ... I hope to be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of George Town

Ranked #23 of 236 things to do in Penang
Derbyshire
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A must see ... I hope to be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We arrived in Georgetown after a month in Thailand and only originally planned to stay for 8 nights, we decided to stay 14 nights before moving onto KL as we loved it so much.

So many things to do and with the temperature being so hot (heat wave at the mo) it was nice to see things slowly and avoid the middle of the day heat.

I hope to return to this beautiful heritage town.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank NattyGodfrey

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Historical, but past its prime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed for four nights in Penang at Tanjung Bungah. We live on Australia's Gold Coast and I was expecting similar beaches but were sadly disappointed...it fact of our two week Malaysian holiday, Georgetown and Penang were a let down and while we will be returning to Malaysia, we definitely won't be returning to Penang.

The history and food are the biggest assets...not the environment or scenery.

We travelled by bus to Georgetown every day & walked the city. We did find the history interesting, but as others have stated, Georgetown is hot, dirty & smelly and the roads are extremely busy. There are also lots of ugly sky scrapers.

We also made the mistake of engaging a Trishaw driver...he gave limited commentary that was difficult to understand, he coughed, smoked and continually spat, tried to drop us off at temples etc where he would have got a kickback, and then dropped us back after 40 minutes instead of an hour. It would have been much quicker to walk. (he was not Malaysian)

On our last day we took the funicular train up Penang Hill (823 M)
Unfortunately we could not see much from the top due to the smog (apparently due to the Indonesians burning forest??)
In fact we could barely make out the outline of the 13km bridge linking Penang to the mainland.

We enjoyed our Malacca stay immensely and if you like history and food in a nice setting, this is a much better option.

Visited March 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Food and a fun ferry ride to the vacation paradise Langkawi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

George Town is the center of Penang and a great clean place to visit if you want to try some great food. From hawker stands to five star restaurants, the quality of food is great here. Unlike its northern neighbor Phuket, this is not a vacation resort or a party place. There are more fun places in Thailand for that. This is a pretty quiet clean town with great chinese, indian, malay and international foods. Also, if you want a great vacation experience, take the convenient 3 hr ferry to Lankawi and enjoy great beaches and great resort hotels.

Visited February 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An average city for what I expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I didn't know anything about this city before I hopped out of the ferry. Without any reservation in a hotel, I was trying to find information, the info center was closed even at 8 am on a week day,people were not helpful, even in hotel counters and service stations, streets were smelly and it was hard enough to find your way without a map at first. After walking more than 1 hour looking for wi fi ( wich happened to be subway), we found a hotel, really expensive for what it is. I expected a bit more than what I heard to be the nicest city in Malaysia. I planned to stay for 1 week but couldn't stay more than one or two days. Not a must see if your not fan of old buildings and memorials.

1 Thank cincinaty
Los Angeles, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Penang is such a great foodie stop in Malaysia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Before going to Sumatra and some wild islands like Nias island,a great break is Penang -George Town:some great old hotel from the 50's or start of the centuries ,vibrant night life,food corner run by the same family for generations giving you a blast for the flavors with a nice touch of flames climbing to the stars..Enjoy your time in George Town even if it is not like in the late 80's anymore ..

Visited March 2012